Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

John Hewitt

Was on a night out last night and a couple of the lads ended up kipping at mine, both Dons fans.  Had a cracking night and got loads of munchies etc at the petrol station, got back to mine and more beers/vodka appeared and the night ran into about 8 this morning.  But,  when we got back I stuck on Team of the Decade. 

I made the point that I believe that John Hewitt was one of the best strikers and one of the best finishers I've ever seen in a red top and that his "Super Sub" tag actually belittles him. Obviously his goals v Bayern and Real are his greatest legacy, but Hewitt could really play and my mates eventually agreed - I think footage of the 85 league cup final (he set up two) and the 86 Scottish Cup Final (scoring two from the start) kind of swayed them.

I was pretty sad when he left, and supposedly he was too.  But do you think Hewitt deserves more credit as a brilliant forward, rather than just a "Super Sub"?

Was on a night out last night and a couple of the lads ended up kipping at mine, both Dons fans.  Had a cracking night and got loads of munchies etc at the petrol station, got back to mine and more beers/vodka appeared and the night ran into about 8 this morning.  But,  when we got back I stuck on Team of the Decade. 

I made the point that I believe that John Hewitt was one of the best strikers and one of the best finishers I've ever seen in a red top and that his "Super Sub" tag actually belittles him. Obviously his goals v Bayern and Real are his greatest legacy, but Hewitt could really play and my mates eventually agreed - I think footage of the 85 league cup final (he set up two) and the 86 Scottish Cup Final (scoring two from the start) kind of swayed them.

I was pretty sad when he left, and supposedly he was too.  But do you think Hewitt deserves more credit as a brilliant forward, rather than just a "Super Sub"?

I thought he was a great forward.  I remember seeing him quite a bit after a lot of the big names from the Gothenburg team had moved on, and he was often our best player.  Quite a skilful player too, well compared to a lot of the forwards we have had since.

I've played against him and couldn't get near him.  Granted that isn't saying much.  ;)

I wouldn't be too put off with the Super Sub tag as Solskjaer also made a name for himself and he was no slouch either.

When you get a player who can watch a game from the sidelines and see exactly how he can exploit the opposition at the back when he finally gets on, says to me that there's more there than just a fresh set of legs.

Guest swaddon

He did dive a bit though. When he played for Celtic it annoyed me the way he would go down like he had been hit in the back with a metal bar or any other type of bar that would cause someone to bend backwards then fall flat on their face. Must have been the Celtic coaching staff that told him to do this.

Obviously, as it's the traditional Celtic way of playing.

Big Jock knew that the only way to win things was to cheat a lot.

I've played against him and couldn't get near him.  Granted that isn't saying much.   ;)

A few years back i was playing 5's in a tournament in inverness.  One of the teams managed to get the then ict manager john robertson down to play for them.  Little cunt to play against, really strong on the ball and was pinging them in from all over. 

I wouldn't be too put off with the Super Sub tag as Solskjaer also made a name for himself and he was no slouch either.

When you get a player who can watch a game from the sidelines and see exactly how he can exploit the opposition at the back when he finally gets on, says to me that there's more there than just a fresh set of legs.

Some players are just more able to get into a game quickly than others when coming off the bench.  To me this would be a combination of instinct and, as you say, having enough upstairs when watching from the sidelines to figure out how to go about the business when taken on.

Some players are just more able to get into a game quickly than others when coming off the bench.  To me this would be a combination of instinct and, as you say, having enough upstairs when watching from the sidelines to figure out how to go about the business when taken on.

I remember reading that Ryan Giggs feels like he never gets up to the speed of a game when he comes on as a sub.  Surprising considering how skillful and quick he is on the ball.  If he's just came on with fresh legs then you'd think he'd run riot, but not according to him.

Must just be a special breed the 'Super Sub' but then again, players with brains are quite rare.

I don't think that's necessarily the case with Hewitt though. Ferguson has famously said before that he even contemplated taking Hewitt back off again in Gothenburg.  I do think he was a cracking player in his own right, very tricky and knew where the goal was. I also believe he was only 16/17 when he made his debut for us which shows how much quality he had too. His chip against the huns at ibrox in the game that had the pitch invasion was outstanding.

• 13 years later...