Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE:Aberdeen FC to welcome more trialists

Aberdeen FC to welcome more trialists

Aberdeen FC boss in bargain basement hunt

By Sean Wallace

Published: 16/04/2009

CASH-STRAPPED Aberdeen FC boss Jimmy Calderwood is set to run the rule over a host of trialists in a bid to strengthen for next season.

Pittodrie manager Calderwood has been told there will be no money for transfer fees in the summer.

So the Aberdeen FC chief will have to unearth free transfers and loan deals. Belgian defender Pieter Collen was the first trialist to arrive, but the former UEFA Cup winner has now returned to Dutch side SC Cambuur Leeuwarden.

Aberdeen FC manager Calderwood said: “We will be taking in a lot more trialists over the next couple of weeks.

“If you are told a player is available for free or their contract is finished and they are recommended, then why not take them in for a look?

“It cannot do any harm.

“We will not be signing anyone who costs money.

“Taking players in on trial allows us the chance to see how good they are.

“We also get to see how they are with the current lads at the club.â€

For more on this story, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express, or check back later

Was just about to say this.

They've all been brought-in-to-make-up-the-numbers fodder haven't they?

Indeed, I appreciate that we can't afford to pay vast fee's or it would appear fee's. But I'm just not convinced there is a point in this as we never seem to find the right ones, and if we do they don't want to join us for what we can offer. The first XI as it is, is fine, its just the rest that worry me, unless he really does allow the youth (providing they are capable) to make the step up.

I assume we are doing this through necessity rather than preference. There is no money in this economic climate and so we have to look to where we can compete for players, this is an avenue that may have frustrated in previous times but regardless of how many lumps of shit get stuck in your pan its always worth panning the river.

I don't want to poo-poo your thinking Ajja.  But the problem is that the river we're panning is very much the sewage outlet for most clubs.

Most of these trialists never appear to be very fit when they arrive.  Needless to say this is down to not getting games.  Meaning they need a good pre-season under their belt and games before we realise we're trying to polish a turd.

I'd prefer if we kept down the loan deals route where we might get someone shit-hot like Aluko who is doing a great jobbie for us.

I don't want to poo-poo your thinking Ajja.  But the problem is that the river we're panning is very much the sewage outlet for most clubs.

Most of these trialists never appear to be very fit when they arrive.  Needless to say this is down to not getting games.  Meaning they need a good pre-season under their belt and games before we realise we're trying to polish a turd.

I'd prefer if we kept down the loan deals route where we might get someone shit-hot like Aluko who is doing a great jobbie for us.

Don't disagree with you there, I still think that the limitations we are experiencing in the current market place are very disabling, more than any of us understand or want to accept. Loan deals are all well and good and can be worth the effort in the short term but you are investing in someone else in terms of development. If the work involved and financial committment is low then I don't see the harm in continuing with both routes. Was Touzani a trialist ? I thought Daal looked OK as well, I never really thought we gave him a decent run at it.

Don't disagree with you there, I still think that the limitations we are experiencing in the current market place are very disabling, more than any of us understand or want to accept. Loan deals are all well and good and can be worth the effort in the short term but you are investing in someone else in terms of development. If the work involved and financial committment is low then I don't see the harm in continuing with both routes. Was Touzani a trialist ? I thought Daal looked OK as well, I never really thought we gave him a decent run at it.

Having seen him play a couple of times for County, I can't categorically state, he is useless!  :thumbsup: How a guy so tall doesn't win headers is beyond me. Seems to trip over the ball all the time as well.

Nicolas Fabiano .... I'll get my coat!

I remember being about 17 years old in town when I met young Nicholas & Bobby Bisconti, it must have been a Friday night, I told them they were my 2 favourite players to ever pull on the Dons shirt.

Within 7 days they'd both left the club.

::)

I remember being about 17 years old in town when I met young Nicholas & Bobby Bisconti, it must have been a Friday night, I told them they were my 2 favourite players to ever pull on the Dons shirt.

It's all your fault ;) Bisco was one of my favourite players too. Hard in the tackles and certainly showed a bit of passion. Could have done with him yesterday, as our midfield was outmuscled all the time. Why was it he left? Was it financial reasons on our part? I can't remember.

It's all your fault ;) Bisco was one of my favourite players too. Hard in the tackles and certainly showed a bit of passion. Could have done with him yesterday, as our midfield was outmuscled all the time. Why was it he left? Was it financial reasons on our part? I can't remember.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/2715127.stm

Belgian midfielder Roberto Bisconti has left Aberdeen, with the club claiming that the terminating of his contract was by mutual agreement.

And it could pave the way for the 29-year-old to join Nottingham Forest.

Bisconti has been on trial with the English First Division club.

Aberdeen announced Bisconti's departure on their website on Friday night and insisted that "no other statement will be made on this matter".

The combative former Standard Liege midfielder had been in dispute with Aberdeen after returning to his homeland without permission during injury.

Bisconti had been a first-team regular since his arrival from Charleroi at Pittodrie in July 2001 but has not featured in the Dons side since November.

Bisconti and fellow high earner Leon Mike were told to find new clubs following the arrival of new manager Steve Paterson at the start of January.

The Belgian arrived at the City Ground in time to see fellow midfielder David Prutton sold to Southampton for £2.5m.

YOU CUNT!!!

I really liked Fabiano....

I never got the fuss over Bisconti  :-\

Cracking player. I know that on occassion he failed to perform, so to speak, but when he did he was unbelievably brilliant. His performance against Hertha at home is still one of the best individual performances I've seen in a Dons shirt in almost 30 years.  In fact it was so good, Simmie said Bisco would have walked into the Gothenburg side ahead of him or Cooper. (My money's on Cooper  ;) )