🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

AFC skinto again

Calderwood is told there will be no summer splashout

and re-signing talks with top players put on hold until end of the season

By Michael Gannon

Published: 14/04/2009

Jimmy Calderwood

More Pictures

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood has been told there will be no money for transfer fees in the summer.

The Dons have also put negotiations with out-of-contract players on hold until the end of the season – when they will have a clearer picture of the finances available.

Jamie Smith, Scott Severin and Lee Mair have been advised by Calderwood that the club cannot make them offers until the summer.

Qualification for the Europa League would ease the financial constraints, but Calderwood admitted the club will have to be prudent as the effects of the credit climate start to bite.

He said: “We have to take a back seat at the moment and see what happens. I do not think things will change too much before the summer.

“I know the parameters I need to work within. The board has always been very open with me. I can say for definite we will not be signing anyone who costs money – but that was the case three seasons ago.

“We did not help the club by getting knocked out of the Scottish Cup. It was a massive blow because we have lost out on a share of the gate receipts, television money, sponsorship, corporate sales and everything else.

“European football would help, but there is no added pressure to make it because there is always pressure on us to qualify. Nothing has changed in that respect, but there are always plans A, B, C – right through the alphabet. It is a similar story everywhere, but we are not too bad at Aberdeen. There are a lot of clubs who are suffering worse than us.â€

Calderwood would rather have the futures of his out-of-contract players settled but accepts the constraints.

He added: “They are three senior players, so that is a bit of a worry, but that is the way it is. They are disappointed.

“Jamie Smith is quite philosophical about it. He knows I want to keep him, but he understands that at this moment I am unable to offer him anything until we see how the finances go.

“They would rather have it settled before the summer, as would myself and Willie Miller, but everyone is in the same boat.â€

Aberdeen defender Zander Diamond will play for the reserves at Rangers today as he bid to return from an ankle injury. The centre back is hoping to face Celtic this weekend in the final match before the SPL splits. Midfielder Mark Kerr and defender Andrew Considine will both return from suspension, although Lee Miller starts a two-match ban.

The Dons claimed a top-six berth with the 1-0 victory against Caley Thistle at the weekend and Calderwood is looking for a strong finish.

Aberdeen are fourth in the table and in the last qualifying place for the Europa League and the manager is determined, at worst, to remain there.

I actually think that this may work in our favour (in regards to seve and cripple boy) as they will be aware that the club won't be able to afford more than what they are on, and probably, that no other club will offer anything near what they want. I know its the only positive you can take from this, because we should have been fine had we made the final....

WHy is he moaning

To get more money from the board maybe?

when if he had motivated his bloody team we'd have maybe gotten to two or three finals in 2 season,

If you had ambition for the good ship AFC, you'd have said we could have got to at least 4 finals in the last 2 seasons! Its people like you who drag our club down. You've got the team you deserve

I ope he just leaves.

As without JC on the wagebill we'll suddenly have more money for Players?

On a side note:

Will you be changing your username to miniMG after your impending ban?

To get more money from the board maybe?

If you had ambition for the good ship AFC, you'd have said we could have got to at least 4 finals in the last 2 seasons! Its people like you who drag our club down. You've got the team you deserve

As without JC on the wagebill we'll suddenly have more money for Players?

On a side note:

Will you be changing your username to miniMG after your impending ban?

I was actually being realistic with the finals we could have gotten to, semi final against Dundee United, QoTS, and then 1/4s against DUnfy.

I doubt I'll get banned, would be funny if I did as there would only be 10 regular posters on here then.

WHy is he moaning when if he had motivated his bloody team we'd have maybe gotten to two or three finals in 2 season, I ope he just leaves.

Aye, once we pay off Jimmy circa £350k (rough estimate?), buy Mark McGhee out of his Well contract £200k (real guestimate) we'll be far better off financially. Still at least McGhee can maintain challenges to teams above him with larger playing budgets, oh wait...

I'm wondering if this is a masterstroke from the board ... I know, that's one of those oxymoron thingys!

They've realised that the fans are slowly, one by one, turning on Jimmy and the JMG mob is gradually gathering momentum. Yes there was only 20-ish protestors out there. But it's no secret that Pittodrie folkies prowl DT and The Hat on a regular basis. One quick look at the first page of posts of either board will see a string of anti-JC posts.

Now, whilst cutting JC's contract short on the board's terms would be a costly move, freezing JC out by removing any form of summer funding from him would make him think carefully about seriously considering parting ways with Aberdeen. I mean, the fans really are bored of him and his style of football. If he sees that the board can't promise to back him with the funds to continue strengthening his squad, then he's bound to start looking elsewhere and say "screw you Aberdeen, is this the thanks I get for five top-six finishes?".

That way, no severance package has to be paid out by the board! Just a radical thought, but for the club to announce record profits and the repayment of massive chunks of the debt, saying "we can't give you a single penny this summer" is a bit suss, tbh.

Another viewpoint to that would be the club reacting to the economic conditions at present by reducing spending, like every other business.

Add to that, it's fairly common knowledge that a lot of English clubs (lower divisions) are feeling the pinch and this summer will see the largest ever number of free agents available. Dare I say the first year since the Bosman ruling came into effect where the football clubs are in the stronger position?

Add to that, it's fairly common knowledge that a lot of English clubs (lower divisions) are feeling the pinch and this summer will see the largest ever number of free agents available. Dare I say the first year since the Bosman ruling came into effect where the football clubs are in the stronger position?

I think so especially clubs like ours that have always paid wages on time.  I imagine a lot of  players will be considering how likely their wages are to be paid and if on time  when they sign with new clubs.  Puts us in a strong position and players might be prepared to take a lower wage for the security of definately getting paid when they're supposed to.

Another viewpoint to that would be the club reacting to the economic conditions at present by reducing spending, like every other business.

Its absolutely the sensible position to take up at present. Remember that the guys that are being held up as examples of our apparent restrictions on wages are high earners who are long in the tooth. They are absolutely prime candidates for cost cutting, large outlay for little return. ROI ratings are poor on these guys at present.

If the management are in any way on their game then they will be putting everything on hold right now and concentrating all energy on landing this bitch of a season with minimal damage.

Its absolutely the sensible position to take up at present. Remember that the guys that are being held up as examples of our apparent restrictions on wages are high earners who are long in the tooth. They are absolutely prime candidates for cost cutting, large outlay for little return. ROI ratings are poor on these guys at present.

If the management are in any way on their game then they will be putting everything on hold right now and concentrating all energy on landing this bitch of a season with minimal damage.

Agreed. I also think that if the rumours about our financial restraints are true then Calderwood might just bugger off of his own accord. He hardly has a great track record of hanging around once the money's gone.

Smith and Severin need to get punted anyway. Contributed nothing between them for a very, very long time.

Agreed. I also think that if the rumours about our financial restraints are true then Calderwood might just bugger off of his own accord. He hardly has a great track record of hanging around once the money's gone.

Smith and Severin need to get punted anyway. Contributed nothing between them for a very, very long time.

Indeed, I did wonder if the board were taking the most sensible option financially and also to test the water with regards to JC. As I've said in other posts, the jury is not so much out on Smith. So far he's not earnt a penny of his new deal. I know he's still coming back from injury, but he's not doing much for the team at all. Seve, he's done ok in defence, but I don't think he's the answer to our defence. We really need Zander and Consi to step up to the plate together.

I think it's highly unlikely Calderwood walks - and if he does, I hope the club would sue him for any additional costs it has in trying to replace him, seeing as he is under contract to us.

As for the players, I hope they are reading the papers and watching the news and have come to realise that all is not well in the financial world and that perhaps they need to be a bit more realistic in their terms.

Smith, for one, if he gets a new contract, it should be minimum guaranteed money and then made up to whatever agreed level with bonus and incentives for actually playing or even being fit enough to play.

I'd offer both Severin and Mair new contracts, they're both ok as CBs. Severin needs to be told he's no longer a midfielder.

Mair is not as bad as many on here like to claim he is. He's not the most talented or skillful, but he's not completely inept either.

I do not understand this at all. Had we drawn the huns or tims in both competitions we may very well have gone out in the first game. What the fuck are the club budgeting for? Are they really that stupid that they will bidget for winning every fucking thing we go into?

Jesus wept. 

They said at the AGM that they budget for quarter finals in both cups, and top 6 in the league; which makes it all the stranger that we appear to have no money available this summer.

They said at the AGM that they budget for quarter finals in both cups, and top 6 in the league; which makes it all the stranger that we appear to have no money available this summer.

No really. They'll be projecting falls in season ticket sales and corporate income for next season and seem to be cutting their cloth accordingly. Can't say I blame them.

As wee toon red identified,

No really. They'll be projecting falls in season ticket sales and corporate income for next season and seem to be cutting their cloth accordingly. Can't say I blame them. 

AFC are predicting falls in ST's and corporate; which will no doubt be attributed to the credit crunch  ::)