Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

BBC: Langfield tipped for Scots future

Langfield tipped for Scots future

Aberdeen goalkeeper Jamie Langfield

Langfield was in top form against Motherwell at the weekend

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood believes Jamie Langfield is the goalkeeper to replace Allan McGregor as a regular in the Scotland squad.

The 29-year-old has been called up before but has never played.

"Jamie has had a wonderful season," said the Dons boss. "There's a wee gap in the Scotland thing so hopefully he can take his game on.

"He should have been in there anyway, because he was in there before when he wasn't playing like that."

Rangers goalkeeper McGregor has been exiled from the international set-up, along with Barry Ferguson, following the pair's recent high-profile indiscretions while on Scotland duty.

And Langfield impressed with an excellent display during Saturday's 1-1 draw at Motherwell, which included a wonderful late save.

The Dons keeper dived expertly to his left to claw out Brian McLean's header after Jamie Murphy had headed on Jim O'Brien's injury-time cross.

"Our keeper has saved us with what could be the save of the season," Calderwood said after the game.

Langfield will be the favourite to join up with regular Scotland keepers Craig Gordon and David Marshall, now McGregor is no longer being considered.

However, Motherwell's Graeme Smith has caught the eye this season, while Neil Alexander may come into contention if he can take advantage of McGregor's two-week suspension at club level.

"I enjoy my time when I go away with George Burley and the coaching staff and working with Jim Stewart," Langfield told his club's website.

"But it's up to them who they pick. I'm quite patriotic and as long as Scotland are winning, that's great.

"Obviously there is a wee space just now and you never know. As long as I keep my consistency up with Aberdeen, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it."

He has had a fantastic season, I just hope he's with us long term. If JC goes in the summer (unlikely I know) he would probably take him with him. Fuck knows where we'd get a replacement keeper. The only problem Ive ever had with him is his kicking, but fuck me, does he keep us in games, yesterday being a prime example. Hopefully he'll get a shot at being Scotland keeper one day.

Guest ally s

Personally reckon Clangers  ;) has earned his chance to get in the squad on a regular basis, but will bet you a £ to a penny that Alexander takes the place of his Hun colleague >:(

I agree, Langfield definitely deserves to called up to the Scotland squad.  Unfortunately for him we have a fantastic keeper already so I'd say his chances of getting a cap would be limited to say the least.

Aberdeen FC’s Jamie is man for Scotland

Jimmy praise for keeper

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 06/04/2009

ABERDEEN FC boss Jimmy Calderwood today called for keeper Jamie Langfield to finally get his Scotland chance.

A last-gasp wonder save from Langfield helped Aberdeen FC draw 1-1 with Motherwell at Fir Park to stay in the race to qualify for next season’s Europa League.

Calderwood described the stop as “the save of the season†and reckons Langfield is the man national boss George Burley should turn to as a replacement for disgraced Rangers keeper Allan McGregor, who has been told he will never play for Scotland again.

Calderwood said: “Jamie should have been in the last squad anyway, because he is the second best keeper Scotland have behind Craig Gordon.’’ :thumbsup:

For more on this story and bumper coverage of the Dons :-\, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express or check back later.

Not at all, I reckon his form has been one of the positives of the season, very impressed but then, I've never really been a critic of his, except for his utter lack of social skills.

I concur. A couple of years ago when all the payers were at the darts a couple of lads I know went over and asked Clangers for picture.

"Nae bother lads". They handed him the camera then stood together. When he realised they wanted him to take a picture of them they were told where to go  :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
victory against dundee united vital for calderwood’s dons

Aberdeen now on the SPL critical list

By Paul Third

Published: 04/05/2009

Aberdeen’s season has reached a critical stage after the Dons’ 3-1 SPL defeat by Celtic at Pittodrie on Saturday.

A Chris Maguire header put Jimmy Calderwood’s side ahead against the champions but an Andrew Considine own goal and a Scott McDonald double gave the champions all three points.

Dundee United’s win away to Hibernian means the Dons now trail the Arabs by four points in the chase for Europe and goalkeeper Jamie Langfield believes Aberdeen must win at Tannadice on Thursday to keep their hopes alive of playing in Europe next season.

He said: “The Old Firm teams will drop points as the other teams are pushing for Europe and need the points, too. We could have taken a point or maybe three against Celtic but it wasn’t to be. We now have to win our remaining games.

“We are at Dundee United on Thursday and we know we need to get a result.â€

Langfield was in outstanding form for his side at Pittodrie.

He said the loss of an equalising goal to the Hoops in the final minute of the first half was the turning point of the game, especially as Andrew Considine’s own goal could have been avoided.

McDonald then showed his quality in a strong second half showing from Gordon Strachan’s side with two fine goals to secure the points.

He said: “The ball was coming straight towards me and I gave Andy a shout but, as a defender, you are told to clear the ball if you are in doubt. If he had left the ball it was coming right towards me and I was going to catch it, but he flicked it over my head as he thought there was somebody behind him.

“McDonald is a quality player. He had two chances and he put them both away.

“The final score flattered Celtic as we had some really good chances in the first half. The equaliser just before half-time took the wind out of our sails.â€

Langfield will now focus his attention on keeping Aberdeen in contention for Europe at Tannadice on Thursday, but he could have been on international duty had the game not been rescheduled just 24 hours after Scotland’s B international against Northern Ireland at Clyde’s Broadwood Stadium on Wednesday.

The Dons goalkeeper, who has 15 shut outs to his name this season, is disappointed he will miss out on the chance to play for his country.

He said: “It is great to be mentioned for Scotland and it is disappointing to miss out on Wednesday. Any opportunity to play for your country is great and it is the biggest achievement of your life to wear the dark blue of Scotland. I would have fancied playing at Broadwood on Wednesday night if the chance had come.â€

I would have hoped our season was critical as soon as we got knocked out of the cup? Still, Langfield has been one of the brightest lights in our extremely dull season. 4 more shut outs please Jamie ;)  :thumbsup:

He is hardly likely to be wearing the dark blue of Scotland unless he has to play elsewhere on the pitch.

Well, he might for the B squad ;) But I do agree, his first XI chances will be limited due to the manager and the quality of personel infront of him (Gordon). However, he is currently injured is he not? And Mcgregor, no-where to be seen. Surely Alexander can't be seen as being better than him?!?