Alex Smith: Stand by your man, Dons

Alex Smith: Stand by your man, Dons

Former Aberdeen FC boss fires warning to Pittodrie fans

By Sean Wallace

Published: 28/03/2009

ALEX Smith today warned axing Jimmy Calderwood would be disastrous for Aberdeen FC.

The Aberdeen FC Supporters Society penned a letter to Dons director of football Willie Miller demanding manager Calderwood be sacked.

Former Pittodrie boss Alex knows all about fans’ groups baying for blood.

He was sensationally axed by Aberdeen FC in 1992 – just months after coming within a game of winning the league title.

Now Alex is urging the Pittodrie board not to buckle to fans’ groups calling for Pittodrie boss Calderwood’s head as well.

Alex said: “Making a snap decision regarding Jimmy would be a big mistake that could backfire.

“Fans are calling for him to go, but there needs to be some perspective at Aberdeen because their season is far from over.

“The cup defeat to Dunfermline was a setback, but the Dons can still qualify for Europe.

“It is important the fans and club let the situation settle for a while and see what happens.

“Hopefully they will give Jimmy more time.â€

Guest swaddon
He was sensationally axed by Aberdeen FC in 1992 – just months after coming within a game of winning the league title.

What a crock of shit. He was sacked because we were mid-table and got put out of Europe by a no-mark Danish side.

If Smiffy is as good a manager as we're led to believe, then why has he never managed Celtic, or Rangers, or a top English/continental team? Because he was pish, that's why.

What a crock of shit. He was sacked because we were mid-table and got put out of Europe by a no-mark Danish side.

If Smiffy is as good a manager as we're led to believe, then why has he never managed Celtic, or Rangers, or a top English/continental team? Because he was pish, that's why.

Yeah you tell him ;) But I wholeheartedly agree with what you've said  :thumbsup:

I am so fucking sick of these idiots from outwith Aberdeen FC telling us that our unhappiness is hasty and that this is some sort of snap protest being made on the back of the Dunfermline defeat alone. It's not. From my point of view, it's the eruption of a syndrome which has been percolating for years now. For the benefit of incoherent arseholes like Alex Smith, that simply means that we've been putting up with this for quite some time now, but it's reached breaking point in much the same way our patience snapped with you in 1992 when you progressively undid all of the good work done (presumably by Jocky Scott) up to the final day of season 90/91, taking us to mid-table ignominy and the start of our slide into European humiliation.

Since the end of JC's first season, we've endured persistently bad results in the domestic cups. As a result of this, we have already lost out on enormous revenue (the QoTS game costing us European qualification this season, for example). We've achieved mediocre league positions despite (relative) enormous investment in the playing squad and JC being allowed to spunk transfer fees that the likes of Steve Paterson could only have dreamt of in the grip of a vodka-induced delirium (and subsequently free transfer practically the lot of 'em). We've played atrociously unentertaining football and then been told that our expectations are too high when we get gubbed home and away by Hamilton. HAMILTON, for fuck sake. We've had to put up with a litany of excuses, and JC's constant repetition that "I would never make excuses, but...". We've had to put up with favouritism and cronyism which would make the freemasons blush. We've had to put up with JC persistently refusing to accept any responsibility whatsoever for our lack of footballing savvy and off-the-pitch squad direction, not to mention responsibility for treating the fans as the people whose enormous investment of time, love and money are what gives him the phenomenally privileged position he currently occupies, rather than thinking that we exist merely as a means to satisfy his ego.

Oh, and if Alex Smith is to be quoted as an authoritative voice on matters related to Scottish football, let's just take a sneaky peek at his CV:

Stenhousemuir: sacked

Stirling: did nothing of note

St Mirren: sacked

Aberdeen: sacked

Clyde: sacked

Scotland U21: sacked

Dundee Utd: sacked

Ross County: sacked

Why the fuck does this perennial failure think his opinion matters a jot to us or Aberdeen FC? Fuck off back to your career's worth of jotters, you incoherent, mumbling prick; and don't even dare to think that you know better than us what would be best for Aberdeen FC.

I am so fucking sick of these idiots from outwith Aberdeen FC telling us that our unhappiness is hasty and that this is some sort of snap protest being made on the back of the Dunfermline defeat alone. It's not. From my point of view, it's the eruption of a syndrome which has been percolating for years now. For the benefit of incoherent arseholes like Alex Smith, that simply means that we've been putting up with this for quite some time now, but it's reached breaking point in much the same way our patience snapped with you in 1992 when you progressively undid all of the good work done (presumably by Jocky Scott) up to the final day of season 90/91, taking us to mid-table ignominy and the start of our slide into European humiliation.

Since the end of JC's first season, we've endured persistently bad results in the domestic cups. As a result of this, we have already lost out on enormous revenue (the QoTS game costing us European qualification this season, for example). We've achieved mediocre league positions despite (relative) enormous investment in the playing squad and JC being allowed to spunk transfer fees that the likes of Steve Paterson could only have dreamt of in the grip of a vodka-induced delirium (and subsequently free transfer practically the lot of 'em). We've played atrociously unentertaining football and then been told that our expectations are too high when we get gubbed home and away by Hamilton. HAMILTON, for fuck sake. We've had to put up with a litany of excuses, and JC's constant repetition that "I would never make excuses, but...". We've had to put up with favouritism and cronyism which would make the freemasons blush. We've had to put up with JC persistently refusing to accept any responsibility whatsoever for our lack of footballing savvy and off-the-pitch squad direction, not to mention responsibility for treating the fans as the people whose enormous investment of time, love and money are what gives him the phenomenally privileged position he currently occupies, rather than thinking that we exist merely as a means to satisfy his ego.

Oh, and if Alex Smith is to be quoted as an authoritative voice on matters related to Scottish football, let's just take a sneaky peek at his CV:

Stenhousemuir: sacked

Stirling: did nothing of note

St Mirren: sacked

Aberdeen: sacked

Clyde: sacked

Scotland U21: sacked

Dundee Utd: sacked

Ross County: sacked

Why the fuck does this perennial failure think his opinion matters a jot to us or Aberdeen FC? Fuck off back to your career's worth of jotters, you incoherent, mumbling prick; and don't even dare to think that you know better than us what would be best for Aberdeen FC.

Excellent post

+1

He speaks in the full story of the "vocal minority" and "silent majority". I think he has seriously misjudged the situation, as has Mr Calderwood.

If the vast majority of Aberdeen fans support JC staying, lets hear them cheering their man next Saturday. Lets see the "bums on seats" shoot up as these vast numbers of JC supporters stand up to be counted. Likely? Not really, is it.

The simple fact is Aberdeen fans have lost patience and it will take a miracle of huge scale for most fans to regain support for Calderwood. This is a man that publicly slates players he has signed, coached and directed, as far as tactics goes, but never accepts responsibility for, publicly at least, debacles such as Dunfermline, Queen of the South etc.  I think a large amount of the support would have far more respect for him if he did.

He speaks in the full story of the "vocal minority" and "silent majority". I think he has seriously misjudged the situation, as has Mr Calderwood.

If the vast majority of Aberdeen fans support JC staying, lets hear them cheering their man next Saturday. Lets see the "bums on seats" shoot up as these vast numbers of JC supporters stand up to be counted. Likely? Not really, is it.

The simple fact is Aberdeen fans have lost patience and it will take a miracle of huge scale for most fans to regain support for Calderwood. This is a man that publicly slates players he has signed, coached and directed, as far as tactics goes, but never accepts responsibility for, publicly at least, debacles such as Dunfermline, Queen of the South etc.  I think a large amount of the support would have far more respect for him if he did.

Completely agree with your post and especially the highlighted bit. I think thats been the most frustrating thing with Calderwood, his lack of humility and honesty. There is no way that there will be many people there to support JC next week, and tbh I don't know if he will realise he's lost the fans until he's sacked! His ego appears to be that big. This article really pisses me off and its something that me and TC were discussing last night. No-one outwidth the fans, know our club anymore. The board clearly don't understand the fans, the management certainly don't, and neither do the players (bar possibly Mackie and Duffers).