Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mark Hately on Aberdeen

Losing to Dunfermline will mean Dons fans hate team more than they hated me

Mar 20 2009 Mark Hateley

I WAS once kicked by an Aberdeen fan outside Pittodrie's front door while signing autographs for disabled kids.

That takes a special kind of hatred, don't you think?

Not for a moment do I believe that every one of those who used to scream bloody murder at me in that stadium literally wanted me to be hurt, although such was the vitriol that sometimes you wondered.

But in the 1990s when Rangers and Aberdeen contested every trophy - be it cup finals or the league - I was their No.1 hate figure, the big Englishman who kept scoring vital goals against their team for the club they detested most. I was never going to be loved.

Yet I would guess that at this moment I would be a far more popular figure in the Granite City than every player in red who let down themselves, their manager and those supporters on Wednesday.

I know there was a call to the Daily Record Hotline demanding the team be put in stocks. Some would say that's taking the soft option.

Losing to Dunfermline - fourth from bottom of the First Division - in the Scottish Cup is pretty bad. To do it in a replay and at home is unforgivable.

And the fact three teams from the lower leagues have beaten Aberdeen in cup competitions over three years is indefensible.

I can only hope the players take a good long look at themselves after yet another dismal display.

Not good enough. Nowhere near it, in fact. The fans who didn't like me at least had a team they could be proud of.

Now Aberdeen are shocking and everyone has to take the blame.

Cards on the table. I like Jimmy Calderwood a lot. I admire his bravery, character and genuinely always believed he was a good manager who could move up to a higher level some day.

That might not happen now because the people he signed for continually let the man down.

Calderwood said recently that perhaps he had a shelf life up north. He was probably right. I can see him going in the summer. Whether he walks or is pushed remains to be seen.

Right now there are Aberdeen fans who want him out of the door.

Five seasons without a final, not a hint of silverware. And this will be the first decade since the 1960s that they haven't won a thing. It's a pretty long crime sheet.

But I would point the finger at the players and ask them if they really believe they have given everything for the club.

Truth is, they are not good enough and, even worse, have the wrong attitude.

Fans will accept a player who is perhaps not as gifted but gives his all. As for someone who can play and doesn't try, that's the worst crime of all.

And here is my message for the Aberdeen players - not one of you is anywhere near good enough not to treat every game as your last.

They can't treat any side with contempt and that's exactly what they did to Dunfermline.

Aberdeen thought all they had to do was turn up, that they were the better side with far more talent. It wouldn't be aproblem. Semi-final here we come.

So they failed to match Dunfermline's spirit and hard work. Great idea, lads.

This is a squad who can't string together four good results in a row, who can go weeks, sometimes months, without a win. Working you b**** off is something that shouldn't have to be spoken about.

But where was the self motivation?

They knew Falkirk were waiting for them in the semi-final and that Celtic were already out. What an opportunity.

But still they couldn't raise themselves.

Can you imagine what would happen if this side came up against the Aberdeen of the early 1990s, the team that were my Rangers' biggest rivals?

Alex McLeish, Jim Bett, Eoin Jess, Lee Richardson and Theo Snelders on one side. They would be up against Darren Mackie, Richie Foster and the rest.

I wonder who would win that one.

We used to have some great games against them. I loved it. Aberdeen would batter us for 90 minutes and we would win 1-0, especially on their own patch.

That idiot who kicked me on the ankle while I was talking to some kids had a lot of pent-up aggression. He was banned for life after that which has probably done him a favour.

Funny thing is, this current Dons team have probably taken as many, if not more, points from Rangers than they did back then.

That is a disgrace all on its own.

What is the point in beating Celtic 4-2 then hardly winning a game since then?

Oh, they'll put up a fight when Rangers are in town - two draws at Pittodrie this season - then lose to a First Division side and not even one at the top of their league.

That smacks to me of an attitude problem. Too many players don't put their all into each game. You can carry maybe three in a team, not five, six, seven or eight.

I have always liked Lee Miller. It was no surprise to me he was missing on Wednesday. But Aberdeen should surely be good enough to survive without one guy.

Where do they go from here? If the fans had their way, most of them would be anywhere but Pittodrie. Time to get some honest boys in who are prepared to give their all.

In every single game.

Calderwood may well be on his way out and there aren't many who could justifiably complain if they were to follow him through the door.

Hate to say it, but if that was Doug Rougvie or Frank McDougall who'd made most of those points (obviously nae the ones about being beaten up by Dons fans whilst signing autographs for disabled kids) then we would be singing his praises and probably calling for him to be the next Aberdeen manager.

But I just can't bring myself to take anything that Mark "he puts the hate in" Hately says onboard.

Can you imagine what would happen if this side came up against the Aberdeen of the early 1990s, the team that were my Rangers' biggest rivals?

Alex McLeish, Jim Bett, Eoin Jess, Lee Richardson and Theo Snelders on one side. They would be up against Darren Mackie, Richie Foster and the rest.

I wonder who would win that one.

Cant argue with that and i think he already knows who would win that one  ;)

But in the 1990s when Rangers and Aberdeen contested every trophy - be it cup finals or the league - I was their No.1 hate figure, the big Englishman who kept scoring vital goals against their team for the club they detested most. I was never going to be loved.

Yet I would guess that at this moment I would be a far more popular figure in the Granite City than every player in red who let down themselves, their manager and those supporters on Wednesday.

Poor Mark, I suspect he has failed to grasp the difference between "let down by" or "disappointed and angered by" and "hate every blade of grass you ever walked on"!!!!

Pop up to the Granite City and see if your any more popular now  :-\

As fucking irritating as it is i have thought hately is pretty good pundit for a good few years.  As others have said take out the hun propaganda and its a very accurate summerisation of aberdeens current state.  Really hope he's right about calderwood being gone by the summer.

:lolabove:

But going to the main bit of the article, why is he so upset? Is he a closet dons fan?  :-\

Good point. You don't see Simmie or Jess or Willie Miller going on record to say how bad the huns finances are. Why the hell is Hately all of a sudden interested in Aberdeen's downfall?

I have absolutely no interest in that cunts opinion on either us or the club.

This. The article is totally lacking in any real journalistic insight and basically reads thus:

- I hate Aberdeen

- They used to be pretty decent, but never as good as me and my mates

- I hate Aberdeen

- Aberdeen have lost a few games to lower league clubs in recent years

- This shouldn't really be happening

- By the way, I still hate Aberdeen

- Their players are obviously having problems with motivation

- Did I mention that I hate Aberdeen?

- Did I mention how much I love disabled kids, and how an Aberdeen fan tried to murder them and me whilst I was making daisy chains and counting bunny rabbits with them?

- Er... That's it. IjusthavenoughtimetosayonemoretimehowmuchIfuckinghatethosesheepshaggingcuntsfromupnorth.

Why does he feel the need to tell everyone yet again that he was kicked on the ankle by a Dons fan? Those sections stand out as totally irrelevant, with no link whatsoever to the broad sweep of the piece, let alone the sections in which they're located. What possible relevance does this have to the article, other than demonstrating once again how much of an axe he has to grind against AFC, rather than the other way round? That, combined with his trotting out the old "Aberdeen only really raise their game against Rangers" pish means that his opinions can safely be filed away under the "ignorant, lazy, brainless, arse-faced, shit-for-brains OF jizz-hoover" category. The mere mention of this discredits any article whatsoever as it is by far the biggest myth in Scottish football; even more of a myth than Kirk Clubfoot's "talent".

All I can say to Hateley is that I'm sorry it wasn't your throat that got stamped on with an ice-skate, you dirty, cheating, lank-haired fuck. Get back to your failed shithole bigot Hun wife-beaters' refuelling stop and don't dare to think that your opinion holds any sway whatsoever with the Aberdeen support, no matter how retarded and catch-all your points are.

Turgid, blinkered, fact-lite journalism at its very, very worst.

This. The article is totally lacking in any real journalistic insight and basically reads thus:

- I hate Aberdeen

- I hate Aberdeen

- Did I mention how much I love disabled kids, and how an Aberdeen fan tried to murder them and me whilst I was making daisy chains and counting bunny rabbits with them?

- Er... That's it. IjusthavenoughtimetosayonemoretimehowmuchIfuckinghatethosesheepshaggingcuntsfromupnorth.

Why does he feel the need to tell everyone yet again that he was kicked on the ankle by a Dons fan? Those sections stand out as totally irrelevant, with no link whatsoever to the broad sweep of the piece, let alone the sections in which they're located. What possible relevance does this have to the article, other than demonstrating once again how much of an axe he has to grind against AFC, rather than the other way round? That, combined with his trotting out the old "Aberdeen only really raise their game against Rangers" pish means that his opinions can safely be filed away under the "ignorant, lazy, brainless, arse-faced, shit-for-brains OF jizz-hoover" category. The mere mention of this discredits any article whatsoever as it is by far the biggest myth in Scottish football; even more of a myth than Kirk Clubfoot's "talent".

All I can say to Hateley is that I'm sorry it wasn't your throat that got stamped on with an ice-skate, you dirty, cheating, lank-haired fuck. Get back to your failed shithole bigot Hun wife-beaters' refuelling stop and don't dare to think that your opinion holds any sway whatsoever with the Aberdeen support, no matter how retarded and catch-all your points are.

+1

Priceless response, Chuck! Probably the biggest smile I've had whilst reading DonsTalk in about a year and a half!

+1

Priceless response, Chuck! Probably the biggest smile I've had whilst reading DonsTalk in about a year and a half!

Always happy to oblige, gents.

Incidentally, a mate has just told me that Hateley is guest of honour at some function for the pond scum bigots in Peterhead this weekend.

The level of support which the Govan filth commands along the NE coast is absolutely shameful.

- I hate Aberdeen

- I hate Aberdeen

+1 from me too  :lolabove: