Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Help me out here

Laying aside all debates about JIG/JMG and who our next manager should be, can anyone clarify a couple of things.

All through the topics on here, quotes in the press from Jimmy etc and other places, I keep seeing references to getting to a cup final being "the next step", or qualifying for Europe making up for being knocked out the cup by yet another team we should be beating.

I'm not singling anyone out, or even suggesting that these things are the opinions of the majority, but it's beginning to piss me off that the above two scenarios are being seen as achievements.

Football is all about winning things and, to me, no amount of third/fourth place finishes in the league will ever amount to half as much as winning the Scottish Cup. Similarly, getting to a cup final is nowhere near an achievement and the goal every year should be to win the trophy, not just make the final. Runner-up is just first loser after all.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't actually give two hoots about playing in Europe IF it is seen as some kind of acceptable alternative to winning trophies. I'm possibly still pissed off after Wednesday night but I've been reading these kind of statements and suggestions for the last couple of seasons and I'm keen to find out if I'm the only one that thinks like that.

/Rant!!

Laying aside all debates about JIG/JMG and who our next manager should be, can anyone clarify a couple of things.

All through the topics on here, quotes in the press from Jimmy etc and other places, I keep seeing references to getting to a cup final being "the next step", or qualifying for Europe making up for being knocked out the cup by yet another team we should be beating.

I'm not singling anyone out, or even suggesting that these things are the opinions of the majority, but it's beginning to piss me off that the above two scenarios are being seen as achievements.

Football is all about winning things and, to me, no amount of third/fourth place finishes in the league will ever amount to half as much as winning the Scottish Cup. Similarly, getting to a cup final is nowhere near an achievement and the goal every year should be to win the trophy, not just make the final. Runner-up is just first loser after all.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't actually give two hoots about playing in Europe IF it is seen as some kind of acceptable alternative to winning trophies. I'm possibly still pissed off after Wednesday night but I've been reading these kind of statements and suggestions for the last couple of seasons and I'm keen to find out if I'm the only one that thinks like that.

/Rant!!

I would suggest that the "next level" of reaching Europe every season would, as has been proven, increase revenue. This would in turn enable us to reach the "level above the next" which I would say should be winning a trophy every year?

/Rant!!

I totally agree with you. Someone said that they didn't care about the Scottish Cup... maybe it's just been too long since we won it and forgotten how good a feeling it is.  In the world of football, there is nothing better seeing the Dons lift a cup.

Personally, I'd like to actually reach a final, then we would obviously have a chance of winning it. We haven't made one yet under JC and this really annoys me as the cup draws have actually been quite favourable to us  >:D Like ST says, Europe to me is about making revenue and playing teams we wouldn't normally be playing. A trophy is for life and something i really want to remember how it feels like. I didn't really support the Dons when we won our last trophy so would actually like to know what it feels like now that means a lot more than it did back then.

So all in all, i agree with what you are saying wee toon red!

I totally agree with you. Someone said that they didn't care about the Scottish Cup... maybe it's just been too long since we won it and forgotten how good a feeling it is.  In the world of football, there is nothing better seeing the Dons lift a cup.

???

Who said that then?

As for a cup final being the next step, it would be the next step as in 'a step further than we've managed in almost a decade of trying'.  Qualifying for Europe is an achievement, it's a huge achievement, increased revenue, trips abroad, the lure of European football possibly attracting better players to the club.  Football is not all about winning things, it's the ultimate goal, it's what we should want at the beggining of every season, but it's not just about winning things.

It's the 'Football is all about winning things' attitude that causes thousands of North East school children to follow the fortunes of the Old Firm, Man Utd or Chelsea instead of their local club.

We all want to see the dons win a cup, it's our only realistic chance of winning anything.  But we've also got to be realistic.

There is no excuse for the cup disappointments over the past few seasons, I think we're all really feeling it this week.  

It's the 'Football is all about winning things' attitude that causes thousands of North East school children to follow the fortunes of the Old Firm, Man Utd or Chelsea instead of their local club.

About 35 minutes into the match on Wednesday night, this wee voice pipes up, "Dad, can we go home now?  All these players are rubbish.  They can't even pass the ball to each other."

I swear, this kid was about 7-8 years old.

His dad's response was, "Sit down and shut up, there's a long way to go yet..."

After the pens the kid said, "Told you so dad..."

:

About 35 minutes into the match on Wednesday night, this wee voice pipes up, "Dad, can we go home now?  All these players are rubbish.  They can't even pass the ball to each other."

I swear, this kid was about 7-8 years old.

His dad's response was, "Sit down and shut up, there's a long way to go yet..."

After the pens the kid said, "Told you so dad..."

:

And nobody likes a smartarse.......particularily a young one.

i've totally changed my view on this - Jimmy and several players must go now.  Wins against Alloa, East Fife, Dunfermilne and Falkirk would have given us european football! 4 games against dross

No other organisation in the world would put up with such mediocrity.

I think i was trying to make the pain of losing easier on myself - but it hasn't worked - i love the cups!

i've totally changed my view on this - Jimmy and several players must go now.  Wins against Alloa, East Fife, Dunfermilne and Falkirk would have given us european football! 4 games against dross

I think i was trying to make the pain of losing easier on myself - but it hasn't worked - i love the cups!

Again, I'm not picking on you particularly but this is pretty much what I meant in my first post. European football isn't a prize as such, that big shiny silver thing that Smith, MacPherson, Hughes or McIntyre will be lifting that we haven't seen since 1990 is a REAL prize. That's what I want and a wee Euro jaunt is a nice bonus - albeit a potentially good financial one. I just desperately want a trophy - god knows enough teams have had one since we last did - and would swap all the good away trips in the world for a Saturday afternoon at Hampden in May watching our boys going up those steps and lifting the cup  :(

No, we'd have to win the final too, more than likely against Rangers, and we all know what our record against them in Glasgow looks like.