Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Pittodrie is a depressing place, says Aberdeen FC chief

By Sean Wallace

Published: 19/03/2009

WILLIE Miller today demanded some “soul searching†from his Aberdeen FC flops after another cup humiliation.

The Aberdeen FC director of football reckons the club is in a “dark, depressing place†after crashing out of the Scottish Cup to lower league Dunfermline.

And he insists the pressure is on Aberdeen FC boss Jimmy Calderwood to save the season.

He said: “We let the supporters down again.

“The manner of the defeat, to go out to lower league opposition at home, is devastating.

“A lot of soul searching must now be done at the club.

“Everything was there for us yet again and we had a great chance to progress in the cup.

“It also offered a chance to make amends for losing out to Queen of the South last season but we failed to take it.

“Aberdeen are in a dark place after that result.

“The club is in depression and we have to get out of that quickly.

“Football is all about pressure and Jimmy, the players and everyone at the club must handle that.

“We are entering a crucial period in the season so it will be a measure of Jimmy Calderwood and his ability to motivate the players after this defeat.â€

A bumper crowd of 13,567 turned up to cheer on the Dons despite the replay being broadcast live on Sky Sports.

“The fans gave us tremendous backing so I am absolutely gutted that we did not produce the performance they deserved,†he said.

“When you look at the teams that are left in the tournament it makes the defeat even more painful.

“We cannot afford to let fantastic opportunities like this pass the club by.â€

Aberdeen now face Hibs at Easter Road on Saturday as they look to salvage a Europa League spot through the SPL.

“No matter how disappointing we must take that defeat on the chin and bounce back,†he said.

“The race for a European spot is tight and we have everything to play for, but equally everything to lose. “We are still in the hunt for Europe in the league.

“Third place would be ideal. That is all we have got left to make amends for a disappointing night.â€

Can't disagree with anything he's said there. Problem is we've been there and done that so many times. As I said before, the same excuses can only be used a couple of times. I'm surprised the club has not come out about Jimmy's position i.e. he's got the season to save his job or he has the full backing of the board. I hope WM smashed a few heads against walls/any hard surface after that result.

''We cannot afford to let fantastic opportunities like this pass the club by.''

Am pretty sure Miller will be getting his arse felt by the board for the result also - considering our West Coast media friends decide to report QOTS £1million profit from their cup run and final simultaneously with our exit.

As DOF I think that some strategy other than sorry - we were pish is required, am sure as fuck if I were on a 6 figure salary I would have to justify it with more than soul searching..

Underneath this is the fact that Pittodrie even with c14K inside for a cup tie is at times like a morgue and this in turn underlines the depression.

''We cannot afford to let fantastic opportunities like this pass the club by.''

Am pretty sure Miller will be getting his arse felt by the board for the result also - considering our West Coast media friends decide to report QOTS £1million profit from their cup run and final simultaneously with our exit.

As DOF I think that some strategy other than sorry - we were pish is required, am sure as fuck if I were on a 6 figure salary I would have to justify it with more than soul searching..

Underneath this is the fact that Pittodrie even with c14K inside for a cup tie is at times like a morgue and this in turn underlines the depression.

That's a bit paranoid mate. Even if they did, they wouldn't have had cause to if we had managed to beat Dunfermline. That's what it boils down to.

At least WM isn't directly blaming the fans for the depression around Pittodrie.

I agree the place can be a a bit less than uplifting, but the old argument still stands " who's job is it to create the excitement? The players or the fans?

A bit of both to be honest, sections of fans seem to go to games thinking we've a divine right to win everything and offer absolutely no support to the team whatsoever.  Getting on their backs will no doubt have an effect.

The fans are as guilty of Jekyll & Hyde performances when we're the favourites as much as the players are.  As a club on the whole, we really struggle to perform when we're favourites.  Give us the underdog tag however, and we're flying...

If you were to look at our great home performances over the last 2-3 years, they've came when we didn't really expect anything, when the crowd has been right behind the team from before kick-off right through to the end of the game. 

It's a sad fact that the loudest chant on Wed night came at the start of extra-time and lasted all of 30 seconds.  :-\

Would this be the same soul searching they were doing after the semi final last year and Queens Park the year before?

Would that be the same sould searching that managed to get us up to 4th place by the end of the season then?

Let's take a positive from such a terrible result and make 3rd all ours...

Is that right Willie? Think how much more depressing it is when you actually have to pay for the privilege of watching the garbage served up on a regular basis there.

Now that is depressing.

Hate to say it, but that headlines doesn't do any justice to what Willie Miller said. Nowhere did he say that the actual stadium or the fans are depressing. His actual comment was about the combined mental state of the club.

But hey, in typical journalistic style this reporter hasn't let the real story get in the way of a good headline.

We'll pick ourselves out of this mess and we'll fire on all cylinders for the remainder of the season. Then we'll all be all hunky-dorey with JC again and we'll go into the Europa League next season. Then, when European football has deserted us, we'll get knocked out at the QF stage by [pick any Irn Bru First Division team] and the heat will be back on JC again. It's all cyclical. It's one giant rollercoaster ride at AFC.

Hey, just be glad you're not a Killie fan where the highlight of your season is beating Ayr Utd in the League Cup.