Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

SPL and the Credit crunch

BBC been doing a wee documentary on it the past couple of days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7949645.stm

I personally don't think this will really impact us (apart from wiggy's personal loss in the building industry) as we cut costs big style earlier on when everyone else was slow on the uptake. Wonder if it will though have an impact on players wages (i.e. those who's contracts are up in the summer)?

BBC been doing a wee documentary on it the past couple of days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7949645.stm

I personally don't think this will really impact us (apart from wiggy's personal loss in the building industry) as we cut costs big style earlier on when everyone else was slow on the uptake. Wonder if it will though have an impact on players wages (i.e. those who's contracts are up in the summer)?

Think you will find that this is a whole new level of cost reductions. When the huns are laying off office staff and tarting their top players in the transfer window then its a totally different ball game. Our trimming down in the early 2000's will not be enough to cope with the current situation. The world is in financial meltdown and football clubs are just as vulnerable as any, if not more. Banks can no longer carry football clubs in the way they have been. Its the quickening, I tell thee.

Think you will find that this is a whole new level of cost reductions. When the huns are laying off office staff and tarting their top players in the transfer window then its a totally different ball game. Our trimming down in the early 2000's will not be enough to cope with the current situation. The world is in financial meltdown and football clubs are just as vulnerable as any, if not more. Banks can no longer carry football clubs in the way they have been. Its the quickening, I tell thee.

So we're all doomed then ? ;) I would have thought though, that because of those severe cost reductions we made earlier on in the century, that we would be in a better position than most of the other teams (Hibs excluded for obvious reasons). As I said though, I would be quite intrigued to see if a) Seve signs and b) what his terms would be. I would expect them to be considerably less than what we assume he is on? Looks like Miller signed his new contract at the right time, for him financially anyway! Or are my thoughts somewhat naive? Surely the players that are out of contract must realise that given the financial climate, no-one will be willing to pay what they are wanting.

Jager, without getting into the whole Milne investing in our club debate, the shares thing, is that not the sole reason why Milne cannot invest heavily into our club as he doesn't have the funds available?

For all our "cut backs" over the last few years all we did we slowly reduce our yearly losses.  We have made an operating, pre-interest, profit once and an actual real profit once in the last god knows how many years.  It must be doubtful whether the bank would have been as accommodating with our negotiations a couple of years ago if they were conducted today.

2 years time we need to pay off all our rolled-up interest payments and presumably renegotiate our £7M bank loan.  The plan had been to be in a new stadium around about this time but that clearly won't happen.  Aberdeen Assets and SMG are hardly in the most secure sectors of the economy at the moment so I would suggest our main hope is to get into the Group Stages of the Europa cup a couple of times and hope that the TV/Prize money helps drive down our debts a bit.

If the banks are screwing the huns for £20M then surely it won't be long before they are screwing us for our £7M, given the comparative turnovers.

Jager, without getting into the whole Milne investing in our club debate, the shares thing, is that not the sole reason why Milne cannot invest heavily into our club as he doesn't have the funds available?

I would imagine that had he really wanted to invest further in the club, he would have been able to do so without too much hassle.  A considerable amount of his funds will be tied into certain investments for a period of time, but not all of it. The bottom line is, as he sees it, he's invested enough for no financial gain. It's throwing good money after bad, basically.

I would imagine that had he really wanted to invest further in the club, he would have been able to do so without too much hassle.  A considerable amount of his funds will be tied into certain investments for a period of time, but not all of it. The bottom line is, as he sees it, he's invested enough for no financial gain. It's throwing good money after bad, basically.

Doesn't that relatively equate to us skint supporters in the stands to some degree?

If he's not spending a bean of 'bad money' then he'd better at least be buying his tickets and some shirts every season.  Otherwise he's actually contributing nothing.

Doesn't that relatively equate to us skint supporters in the stands to some degree?

If he's not spending a bean of 'bad money' then he'd better at least be buying his tickets and some shirts every season.  Otherwise he's actually contributing nothing.

You're surely not as stupid as to believe what you just posted?

Honestly, that is fantastically retarded, even by your standards.