Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Berwickshire News Article

There`s been a feature published in my local rag today regarding a guy about to write a book on the history of Duns Football Club before they folded in 1975 although they have since reformed.

In this piece it talks of Aberdeen playing Duns but gives no real details.  Some people believe it was a Scottish Cup match in the early 50`s or 60`s but have had no concrete evidence. 

Anybody know of this meeting?  The Dingers were part of the East Of Scotland League until their demise and even Rangers played them whitewashing the Border side 9-0.  Celtic were also supposed to have entertained this motley crew. 

For such a small place it seems to have a lot of sporting heritage what with rally driver Jim Clark a massive pulling point in the area too.

SeeBass 

There`s been a feature published in my local rag today regarding a guy about to write a book on the history of Duns Football Club before they folded in 1975 although they have since reformed.

In this piece it talks of Aberdeen playing Duns but gives no real details.  Some people believe it was a Scottish Cup match in the early 50`s or 60`s but have had no concrete evidence. 

Anybody know of this meeting?  The Dingers were part of the East Of Scotland League until their demise and even Rangers played them whitewashing the Border side 9-0.  Celtic were also supposed to have entertained this motley crew. 

For such a small place it seems to have a lot of sporting heritage what with rally driver Jim Clark a massive pulling point in the area too.

SeeBass 

Ask BigAl, I think he was there.

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/clubNewsDetail/0,,10284~1511999,00.html

two

Duns 0-8 Aberdeen Buckley 4, Leggat 2, Hamilton 2

Attendance: 750

Martin, Mitchell, Caldwell, Allister, Young, Glen, Leggat, Hamilton, Buckley, O'Neil, Wishart.

Four goals in each half for AFC.

Ref was J.A Mowat, and according to my memory the crowd was only 700.

This was the year we beat the Huns 6-0 in the semi final only to lose the final 2-1 to the other half of the  bigot brothers

Martin, Mitchell, Caldwell, Foster, Allister, Young, Glen, Leggat, Hamilton, Buckley, Mackie, O'Neil, Wishart.

Four goals in each half for AFC.

Ref was J.A Mowat, and according to my memory the crowd was only 700.

This was the year we beat the Huns 6-0 in the semi final only to lose the final 2-1 to the other half of the  bigot brothers

Guest fatshaft

The Jim Clark room in duns.

jimclark-450.jpg

They couldn't dedicate a museum to the guy. Just a room.

Fuck me, must have been some rally driver to take that thing through the forests!  :dance:

Big Al,

Kevin Stirling confirms your memory is working OK.  Crowd was 700. 

I was only joking about the memory part.....seriously I wasn't there.

Not even I'm THAT old. Phoenix might have been there though ;)

My source was Clive Leatherdale's "Aberdeen Football Companion" a book which no true Don should be without :wave:

• 2 weeks later...