Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Time for Dons to exorcise bogymen

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1118053

Maguire desperate to start for reds as they bid to wipe out haunting stigma of defeats by Accies

By Stephen Kasiewicz

Published: 12/03/2009

Aberdeen forward Chris Maguire knows they must work out a way to defeat bogy team Hamilton Accies at Pittodrie on Saturday if the Dons are to remain in the hunt for third.

Aberdeen have already stumbled to damaging defeats at home and away against the Lanarkshire outfit.

Hamilton’s 2-1 victory at Pittodrie on September 13 was their first in the Granite City for 77 years and they followed it up with a first home win over the Dons in 54 years by beating Aberdeen 2-0 on January 3.

Those defeats dented the Dons’ bid for third place and, with Hearts currently enjoying an eight-point advantage, Maguire knows there can be no slip this time round.

He said: “I don’t think it is a case of Hamilton being better than us, but we have given away poor goals against them.

“In the first game we conceded a couple of sloppy goals at Pittodrie and then down there we gifted them a penalty, which doesn’t help. Hopefully we can keep the unbeaten run at home going.

“We haven’t been beaten at Pittodrie for a while and I think people coming up will know how good our form is.

“We will not take it for granted and think because we are at home we will win. We have to go out and do a job and I am sure we will do it professionally.â€

After four consecutive first-team starts, and scoring two goals in the Scottish Cup win against East Fife, Maguire was an unused substitute in Aberdeen’s Scottish Cup stalemate at Dunfermline last weekend and was back in the reserves against Caley Thistle on Tuesday.

The 20-year-old scored from the spot to earn the second string a 1-0 victory, but he is looking for a place in the starting line up to face Accies after feeling disappointed at being left out against the Pars.

He added: “It was a bit disappointing not to get a game, but at least we are still in the cup.

“It is frustrating as I was on a good little run there, I started the last four games and I thought I was doing well for the team.

“The manager will know I have been disappointed, but there is not much more I can do other than keep working hard to prove I should get a game. It was nice to get on the scoresheet in a reserve game to show I can still score.

“If I keep working hard in training I am sure I can catch the manager’s eye again and hopefully I can get back in the team as quickly as possible.â€

“We haven’t been beaten at Pittodrie for a while and I think people coming up will know how good our form is.

Don't quite agree with that. Our form has been non existent since we beat Celtic, despite not having lost many games since then. Anyway, He does come across quite well in interviews. Always sounds like he has a lot of desire and to be honest I think it comes across in his play, possibly a bit too much at times. Good to see he's trying though. Lets hope they can get this bogey off their backs! COME ON YOU REDS!  :thumbsup: