Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

SFA chief wants winter shutdown

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7907574.stm

SFA chief wants winter shutdown 

Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith wants to introduce a two-month winter break.

With Motherwell's match against Celtic on Sunday being played on a dreadful surface at Fir Park, Smith reckons the game would be improved by a shutdown.

He would like the season to kick off in August, close during January and February, and then run until June.

Smith said: "We're in discussions about whether we can make changes and looking at things we agree can be improved."

In December last year, a spokesman for the Scottish Premier League said: "Season 2009/10 will not include a winter break given the constraints presented by the early finish to the season required by Fifa ahead of the World Cup finals in South Africa."

If there is no movement for next season, Smith's best hope would be to convince the leagues to adopt the break from season 2009/10.

Some clubs are concerned that a winter shutdown would mean they have no income from gate receipts for the duration of the break.

However, Smith says he would consider easing the lean financial spell for clubs.

"The cashflow problem from a winter break would only be an initial one as you would still end up with the same number of games over the course of a year," said Smith.

"But we might need to look at loans. If there was an agreement, we could see if there was some way of taking care of that financial aspect."

Meanwhile, Motherwell general manager Leeann Dempster says the club will spend £250,000 in the summer in an attempt to overhaul the Fir Park pitch.

We often get snow around Easter time though - what would happen if games started getting postponed after the winter shutdown. It's ridiculous to think the worst weather is only in Jan & Feb.

My thoughts exactly! I had a game of golf cancelled last April due to snow!

Leave it as it is and tell Motherwell to get their act together re their pitch.

I don't think a winter shutdown would be a bad idea in principle. However, two entire months off may be going over the top a bit.

One result of a shutdown might be more midweek games, which I'm sure we can all agree are wank.

If we were to have two months off in the winter, why not go the whole hog and have summer football (something else I'm not necessarily opposed to, and something Smiffy might have in the back of his mind.)

Summer football is a non starter as would mean lower crowds due to folk being on holidays and also being interrupted every two years when major champoinships are on. SFA should be looking at providing better indoor training facilities for youngsters rather then bothering about a winter shut down in the SPL which they have no say over anyway.

Summer football is a non starter as would mean lower crowds due to folk being on holidays and also being interrupted every two years when major champoinships are on. SFA should be looking at providing better indoor training facilities for youngsters rather then bothering about a winter shut down in the SPL which they have no say over anyway.

I agree 100%

2 fucking months?  thats pretty much the same amount of time as the close season.  No festivals in winter to look forward to either.  Fuck that!!!!!! if your going to have a winter break then make it from xmas to the 3rd week in jan.  Yes you might still get snow but thems the breaks

2month winter break?

When is the fuckpig planning on having this?  Clubs wouldn't want to lose out on the larger festive crowds. Cup is first week in January then European competition starts up again before the end of February and you can just imagine the stink the huns and tims would kick up about not having sufficient match practice for their run to european glory (sic).

Weather is far too unpredictable in Scotland to make this worth while.  Better of on concentrating on getting decent all weather training facilities.

I would say the holiday reduction would be mitigated by warmer weather, longer days and having beer back in grounds  ;D

As opposed to folk who can't be arsed going cos the weather is dismal.

Again maybe this maybe affects the northern clubs more.

WHy do folk take their holidays and go somewhere hot in the summer anyway, when we have our best weather in Scotland? Winter sunning is a much better idea - although maybe folk are holidaying in the summer so they don't miss any of the fitba season  ;)

Mainly because its the time the schools are off for those with families I suppose. Another effect for those with families/married/bird is that there is more pressure to go and do joint activities in the good weather than there is on a cold wet Saturday in November.

Mainly because its the time the schools are off for those with families I suppose. Another effect for those with families/married/bird is that there is more pressure to go and do joint activities in the good weather than there is on a cold wet Saturday in November.

Except on a QF day out in Dunfermline  :(

I have to admit that I almost relish the summer months without football. I can switch my mind to family time doing fun stuff with the kids and lounging around in the sun. I don't have to wake up every Saturday wondering how the fuck I can orchestrate my day to make sure that I am beside the radio and PC to endure 3 hours of mental torture. I don't have to wonder how the wife will react when I realise there are 3 Saturday's in a row when I will be out the door at 8:30am and back in at 8:30pm without any ability to string a sentence together.

Christmas is a time when everyone is on holiday and we always get a bumper crowd........ 8)