Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Rank the managers since Sir Alex

wikipedia has done this already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen_fc

Dates          Manager                    Wins            Draws          Losses          Win%

1988 1991   Jocky Scott & Alex Smith 117 63 35 19 53.85%

1986 1988    Ian Porterfield 71 35 27 9 49.30%

2004  Present  Jimmy Calderwood 208 90 50 68 43.27%

1992  1995    Willie Miller 124 53 45 26 42.47%

1995 1997    Roy Aitken 124 50 31 43 40.32%

1999 2002   Ebbe Skovdahl 159 54 37 68 33.96%

2002 2004   Steve Paterson 68 23 13 32 33.82%

1991 1992    Alex Smith 23 7 7 9 30.43%

1997 1998    Alex Miller 43 11 13 19 25.58%

Without seeing that my only change might have been moving Portloo down a wee bit.

Tbh you could argue Willie should be above JC in that we were 2nd in everything until he fucked up but at the end of the day he won the same as JC, fuck all, which I suppose would suggest Aitken maybe should be punted up a wee bit  :o

Alex Smith & Jocky Scott

Willie Miller

Ian Porterfield

Jimmy Calderwood

Roy Aitken

Ebbe Skovdahl

Steve Paterson

Alex Miller

Not sure about Porterfield and Calderwood, would maybe swap them around. Porterfield had better players at his disposal of course. He bought a shower of shite in Jones, Hackett and Edwards but also brought in Peter and Charlie Nicholas (the biggest and most exciting signing at Aberdeen in my lifetime). He also integrated Brian Grant, Paul Wright and Stevie Gray more in the side which was another positive for him. But he was far too reliant on his back five. Seemed to have the attitude that as we had the best back five in the league (think Leighton held the shut out record in 87-88) that was enough to see us through but it wasn't and the football was often low on entertainment value.

Calderwood has been a good manager for us mostly, but the lack of a final and losses to lower league sides blot his record but to think where we were before him he has done very well to not only steady the ship but improved us greatly. However, we do need to keep improving, a trophy would shift him up that table.

Smith & Scott had a very good side and made some excellent signings, and the football we played under them was excellent. They also won us the cup double, and should have added at least one league title to that too.

Willie Miller's side played probably the best football I've seen from any Aberdeen side, particularly in his first full season. We also should have won the league under him and at least one of the cups. It was sad that his tenure ended the way it did, but he did have the unenviable task of replacing veterans like McLeish, Bett and Connor.

Aitken won us a trophy, but his side became so shambolically bad that it is impossible to look back on his time with any warmth at all. Spent an awful lot of money too for very little in return.

Paterson and Miller can just fuck off. Simply horrific.

Calderwood has been a good manager for us mostly, but the lack of a final and losses to lower league sides blot his record but to think where we were before him he has done very well to not only steady the ship but improved us greatly. However, we do need to keep improving, a trophy would shift him up that table.

DonsTalk in some sense posted shocker.

No team in football "deserves" anything, and too many dons fans think we 'deserve' to be playing finals and winning trophies. I think we'll be lucky to do that with the current board / chairman.

Jimmy is the best manager we have had since Fergie, and with the squads he's had and the investment he hasn't, he has done extremely well.

I honestly don't know who we could pick up at this moment in time that would be better than the 2 Jimmies.

1. Smith - brilliant times, ended abruptly

2. Calderwood - just needs a trophy, soon

3. W Miller - fantastic football

4. Porterfield - given the team he inherited, should have done a lot better, but was always on a hiding to nothing

5. Skovdahl - some nice highs but some terrible lows

6. Aitken - will never forgive him for binning Irvine and Booth at the time we were needing players who played for the shirt

7. A Miller - useless

8. Paterson - embarrassing

1. Smith - brilliant times, ended abruptly

2. Calderwood - just needs a trophy, soon

3. W Miller - fantastic football

4. Porterfield - given the team he inherited, should have done a lot better, but was always on a hiding to nothing

5. Skovdahl - some nice highs but some terrible lows

6. Aitken - will never forgive him for binning Irvine and Booth at the time we were needing players who played for the shirt

7. A Miller - useless

8. Paterson - embarrassing

We will have this in May. I'm certain of it.

1. Smith - would have him back if Calderwood jumped ship

2. Calderwood - Better win that trophy come May or his cards will be marked !

3. W Miller - good times and then came the bad

4. Porterfield - aricht i suppose

5. Skovdahl - nice guy but had some bad lows

6. Aitken - prick

7. A Miller- poor

8. Paterson - no comment

If Calderwood was to go, would anyone think about having Smith and Scott back? Hypothetically speaking of course.

I'd take Jocky Scott back, definitely. Not sure about Smith, things went pear shaped when Scott left us. I like Alex Smith (our supporters bus used to leave from his pub and he's a good guy), but he's not done much since he left us. Not that Scott has set the heather alight either, but Willie Miller and Charlie Nicholas said he was the best coach they'd worked under which surely counts for something.