Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

JC: Mackie is worth at least £600,000

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1070741

ABERDEEN FC boss Jimmy Calderwood today claimed English clubs would have to break the bank to steal Darren Mackie away from Pittodrie now.

Calderwood is delighted to have secured Dons striker Mackie on a new three-year contract because he is convinced clubs south of the border would have been happy to snap up the 27-year-old for nothing in the summer.

The Aberdeen FC manager claimed it would take an “unbelievable offer†to persuade them to part with Mackie now.

Dons boss Calderwood said: “Dundee United got £600,000 from Reading for Noel Hunt so that would be the starting figure for Darren.

“Darren has strengths that Noel doesn’t, so I’m sure there would be a lot of clubs interested if we ever said we would let him go.

“Darren has gained a lot of experience playing in big games for Aberdeen over the last 10 years.

“Kevin McNaughton and Ross McCormack have done really well down at Cardiff and a few other Scottish lads have moved south and held their own.

“There is no doubt that Darren could do just as well, if not better.

“But he is committed to Aberdeen now and it would take an unbelievable offer to persuade us to part with him now.â€

Mackie has twice come close to leaving the club. He was loaned to Inverness Caley Thistle for a spell and turned down the chance to join Dundee United as part of the deal that brought Lee Miller north.

Calderwood is happy that it now looks likely he will spend the rest of his career with the Dons.

“I don’t know what the circumstances were at the time, but I’d never have let Darren go on loan.

“I wasn’t keen on him going to United either, so I was pleased when he turned that down without a second thought.

“He’s been wonderful throughout my time at the club.

“He will never be the prolific goalscorer some fans want him to be, but Darren is the ideal modern player in other ways.

“He is so tactically aware you can ask him to perform almost any task in any game.

“Darren also gives everything he has when he pulls on that red shirt. He has his limitations, but then so do most players.

“Darren agreeing to stay is a massive bonus.â€

thumbnail.aspx?refId=2015617&refRef=img&style=full

600k for a "59 goals in 279 matches" striker? JC's dreaming.

Mind you, if that's the way to sell your players for the highest price, then go for it! Hey, it worked for Hibs and Hearts in the past couple of seasons. Why not us? Although I reckon he should put a price of 1.6million on Mackie's head. Maybe that'll encourage the financial idiots like Man City to come sniffing, hehe

600k for a "59 goals in 279 matches" striker? JC's dreaming.

Mind you, if that's the way to sell your players for the highest price, then go for it! Hey, it worked for Hibs and Hearts in the past couple of seasons. Why not us? Although I reckon he should put a price of 1.6million on Mackie's head. Maybe that'll encourage the financial idiots like Man City to come sniffing, hehe

Maybe JC wasnae referring to his worth as a striker being 600k... maybe he meant if the club were to sell bits of the laddie on the illegal human organ black market.

Maybe one day soon Darren will wake up in a bath of ice in a basement in Tijuana.

Could happen.

Maybe JC wasnae referring to his worth as a striker being 600k... maybe he meant if the club were to sell bits of the laddie on the illegal human organ black market.

Maybe one day soon Darren will wake up in a bath of ice in a basement in Tijuana.

Could happen.

:lolabove:

Best post on here in ages.