Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Langfield set to be best in the land

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1064278

DONS keeper Jamie Langfield is in the hunt to be crowned the SPL’s shut-out king this season.

Langfield has kept nine clean sheets so far, one less than Rangers’ Allan McGregor and one more than Celtic’s Artur Boruc.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood praised Langfield for his efforts and backed the former Dundee and Dunfermline goalie to push the Old Firm pair all the way.

He also sees Langfield’s record as a major asset in Aberdeen’s bid to pip Dundee United and Hearts in the race to finish third in the SPL.

Calderwood said: “It’s a fabulous record. It would be great if Jamie went even better and finished with the most clean sheets at the end of the campaign.

“If he does then we will have an even greater chance of claiming third place in the table and making it back into Europe.

“It would also be a great achievement for an Aberdeen keeper to finish a season with the most shut outs.â€

Despite his fine record this season, Langfield was not included in the Scotland squad that has gathered in St Andrews ahead of the World Cup clashes against Holland and Iceland.

Calderwood can’t understand why the Pittodrie stopper has again been overlooked

“Jamie has been brilliant for Aberdeen, so it has always baffled me that he isn’t more involved with Scotland,†said Calderwood.

“Craig Gordon is the top keeper for Scotland but I’ve always felt that Jamie should be in with more of a shout when it comes to acting as back-up to him.

“All Jamie can do is keep going and hope his record with Aberdeen leads to him being given the chance he deserves.â€

Calderwood believes Langfield deserves extra credit because he has re-stablished himself as the No.1 at Pittodrie after almost blowing his chance during a much-publicised pre-season blow-out two years ago.

Langfield was demoted to act as back-up keeper to Derek Soutar after he got drunk during his stag party in Mallorca and behaved “inappropriately†in public.

Calderwood confirmed there was never any chance of Langfield being booted out because he always had faith the keeper would sort himself out.

“What happened between us has been long forgotten,†said Calderwood.

“I can assure you if I ever moved on to another club I would have no hesitation in making efforts to take Jamie with me to be my keeper.

“The fall out between us was blown out of proportion anyway.

“He did something daft in public and paid the price for it.

“But we never had a raging argument as some people tried to suggest.

“Jamie was in no fit state to do that.

“I just felt that he had not behaved inappropriately in public for Aberdeen player and Scottish international.

“Jamie got caught accepted the punishment and moved on.

“I’m delighted that has led to him playing the best he ever has at any stage of his career.

“I was always confident that would be the case because Jamie showed me the first day that I saw him that he is a fighter.

“He lost a goal playing in a reserve game for Dundee against Dunfermline.

“Jamie started booting into one of the posts in frustration and let rip on everyone around him.

“It was a low-key reserve game but he was as annoyed as if the goal had been lost in a cup final.

“I decided there and then that I wanted Jamie to be my keeper.

“I did my homework so knew there was another side to him that had to be handled as well.

“But the positives outweighed any negatives because I knew Jamie had the potential to be one of the best keepers in the land.â€

He's certainly improved since Mallorca-gate.  I thought he was finished after that but fair play to him.

Pity his kicking invariably lands in the cemetery though.

I said this a while ago, yes his kicking isn't strong at all but when compared to the rest of the league it is far from the worst. I've seen some shockers in games against AFC this season and last.

I think Langfield is a great keeper for us. I'm certainly not worried about havinghim between the sticks like I was pre "Mallorca-gate". He's upped his game and certainly doesn't appear to take his position for granted. As TF said, I've seen far worse kicking in the SPL this season, I actually think its slightly improved over the years  :P