Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Maguire loan bid blocked by Jimmy

Maguire loan bid blocked by Jimmy

Striker’s request is thrown out

Published: 07/02/2009

ABERDEEN have rejected a request from teen striker Chris Maguire to go out on loan.

Maguire, 19, asked to be farmed out because of his frustration at having made only five starts but 15 substitute appearances for the Dons so far this season.

But manager Jimmy Calderwood told Maguire – who was expected to be on the bench again for today’s home Scottish Cup clash with East Fife before it was called off – he is going nowhere.

Calderwood, pictured, said: “Chris asked to go out on loan but that was turned down.

“I can understand his frustration at not getting a regular game.

“We’ve also been unable to play reserve games, so Chris hasn’t seen a lot of action in recent weeks.

“But he is a first team player now, so there was never any hope of him being allowed to go on loan.â€

Maguire is under contract to the Dons until the summer of 2011 and has been told he will be expected to honour that.

Calderwood said: “He was happy to sign a long term deal, it’s up to Chris to just get on with and wait for his opportunity.

“He will eventually be one of the main strikers at the club, he knows we rate him very highly.

“But it’s hard keeping all of the players happy at times.

“Andrew Considine and Lee Mair have been in the same boat this season.

“But we need players on the fringes fighting hard to get into the team as well.

“They are the ones who set the standards because it means the ones who are playing know they will be out if they slip up.

“Chris is a confident lad but even he would have to admit Lee Miller has been outstanding this season.

“Darren Mackie has also done some great stuff for us, but there will come a time when the door opens to Chris and he has to make sure he is ready to take advantage of that.â€

Calderwood admitted he felt sympathy for the Glaswegian when they held private talks inside his office at Pittodrie.

“I was once a young player, so understand exactly how Chris feels at the moment,†he said.

“I almost walked out on Birmingham City when I was 16 years old.

“I was convinced I was good enough to get a game in the reserves every week and got frustrated that I was being overlooked.

“I decided I would be better off packing in football and going back to Scotland.

“Like Chris, I didn’t have a lot of patience.

“But at least he wasn’t cleaning the boots of players he felt weren’t as good as him!

“I wisely chose to stick around and was rewarded with a permanent slot in the first team.

“I’m sure it will eventually be the same for Chris.â€

I can understand his request too, but Maguire should maybe think about the majority of other Dons young players who go out on loan... how many come back any better and how many come back and actually stay with us?  the fact we haven't looked to put him out on loan should tell him he's a first team player now and he should get his head down and work on getting into the first team.

I can understand his request too, but Maguire should maybe think about the majority of other Dons young players who go out on loan... how many come back any better and how many come back and actually stay with us?  the fact we haven't looked to put him out on loan should tell him he's a first team player now and he should get his head down and work on getting into the first team.

Yeah, pretty much as JC says. It was a very polite STFU up and work harder and more importantly, be better.

God fucking help us if Maguire ever becomes one of our main strikers  >:D

The guy has the ability, he is quite skillful but has doesn't seem to have the heart or application. He seems to have that "I'm a first teamer, I am now a footballer" and has not improved one iota since attaining that "accolade", in fact he has regressed.

The guy has the ability, he is quite skillful but has doesn't seem to have the heart or application. He seems to have that "I'm a first teamer, I am now a footballer" and has not improved one iota since attaining that "accolade", in fact he has regressed.

You're having a laugh surely? The guys got no talent whatsoever, I honestly think JC is doing some friends a favour by letting their 'disadvantaged' child get a wee game of football. He's awful.

You're having a laugh surely? The guys got no talent whatsoever, I honestly think JC is doing some friends a favour by letting their 'disadvantaged' child get a wee game of football. He's awful.

Not at all, he has got a lot of skill.

But your ability to spot a player is looking kinda rough after all you said about Miller!  ;)

Not at all, he has got a lot of skill.

But your ability to spot a player is looking kinda rough after all you said about Miller!  ;)

All I'd said about Miller was that he's lazy. Thats been well sorted now. Maguire though has got nothing, he can't even seem to run in a straight line when he's chasing his first touch which has pinged 40 yards up the pitch.

I agree with Padre the guy has no talent whatsoever - I won't be paying to watch him leading our attack - a year ago at Hibs when we got well stuffed just before going out to Munich he was an absolute disgrace - nothing I have seen of him since has made me change my mind 

I'll never forget Maguire coming out during half time in the Allianz and juggling the ball as if it was stuck to him. He came on in the second half and his first touch bounced about 20yards off of him. The boy would have difficulty trapping a bag of cement in a match situation.

He has possibly connected Mackie's spell at ICT with some sort of route to 'success'. Certainly any other examples would bear little fruit as a sign its the best thing to do.

Agree with the last two posts. I think its a shame he hasn't been allowed to go out on loan and actually make the strikers position his own. He doesn't really get that much chance as a striker but he needs to bulk up and as RDU said, needs to lose this attitude that he's made it. A few big bastards knocking seven shades out of him would do him and his haircut the world of good (sorry Aberdeen_Ladette ;) ) He's not progressed at all and I think that this would have been either the making of him or a reality check for JC that he isn't good enough.