Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Hans Gillhaus on the Dons and the Scottish Cup

End cup agony, says hero Gillhaus

By Sean Wallace

Published: 05/02/2009

LEGEND: Former Aberdeen player Hans Gillhaus.

More Pictures

PITTODRIE legend Hans Gillhaus today called for the Dons to end 19 years of Scottish Cup misery.

The Dutch striker was part of the last Dons side to win the national trophy with a 9-8 penalty shoot-out win over Celtic in 1990.

Now head of international scouting at Chelsea, Gillhaus reckons the Dons, who face East Fife on Saturday, can end that long drought this season.

He said: “A team like Aberdeen should be pushing to win the Scottish Cup regularly.

“When I won the trophy I never imagined Aberdeen would be 19 years down the line without winning it again.

“Due to the size of the club and the quality of the people associated with it, that has to change.

“Aberdeen must get success in the Scottish Cup and that can come this season under Jimmy Calderwood.

“They got very close to the final last season, and now just need to go that extra step.â€

A former European Cup winner with PSV Eindhoven, Gillhaus scouts the world for the next stars for Premier big guns Chelsea.

And he insists Calderwood, who was recently linked with managerial positions at Norwich and Utrecht, is the man to lead the Dons to cup glory.

“My scouts look at Scotland very intensively so I know exactly what is going,†he said.

“I also saw Aberdeen during the pre-season in Holland and they are a good side.

“Jimmy Calderwood is a good manager and he has been very positive for Aberdeen.

“Moving to Pittodrie has also been good for Calderwood and he can bring the club success.

“Calderwood has been linked with a few clubs and ultimately it will come down to what he wants.

“After so long in Scotland he may feel he needs a new challenge elsewhere either in Holland or England.

“He wants to be successful, and hopefully he can achieve that at Aberdeen.â€

A star of the 1990 World Cup with Holland, the 45-year-old reckons the Dons’ cup run in 1990 was the highlight of his Pittodrie career.

“In the quarter-finals we beat Hearts 4-1 at Pittodrie then we beat Dundee United 4-0 in the semis.

“It was the best Aberdeen played during my time there. People say our performance in the final was disappointing but I do not agree.

“Playing in a final is the ultimate game, and there is so much tension, but we were better than Celtic.

“Lifting the trophy is all that matters.â€

“My scouts look at Scotland very intensively so I know exactly what is going,†he said.

“I also saw Aberdeen during the pre-season in Holland and they are a good side.

"Jimmy Calderwood is a good manager and he has been very positive for Aberdeen.

“Moving to Pittodrie has also been good for Calderwood and he can bring the club success.

“Calderwood has been linked with a few clubs and ultimately it will come down to what he wants.

“After so long in Scotland he may feel he needs a new challenge elsewhere either in Holland or England.

“He wants to be successful, and hopefully he can achieve that at Aberdeen.â€

Can already hear the keyboards clattering o'er on the Hat in an attempt to contribute to the twenty page debate as to why Hans is talking complete and utter bollocks coming out with that statement. ;)

Guest swaddon
“When I won the trophy I never imagined Aberdeen would be 19 years down the line without winning it again.

I don't think any of us imagined it.  >:(