Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

P&J: Calderwood: forget fear factor

Calderwood: forget fear factor

TEAMS CAPABLE OF TAKING POINTS OFF OLD FIRM ON a more regular basis, SAYS DONS MANAGER

By Michael Gannon

Published: 22/01/2009

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood.

More Pictures

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood reckons the Old Firm no longer hold the same stranglehold over their SPL rivals they have enjoyed in the past.

Calderwood’s men defeated Celtic 4-2 last Sunday and are now looking to add the scalp of Rangers at Pittodrie on Saturday. Aberdeen are unbeaten in four matches against the Light Blues in the Granite City. A victory for the Dons would reduce the gap on second-placed Rangers to 10 points with 15 matches of the season remaining.

Many, including Rangers forward Kenny Miller, believe the gap between the Old Firm and the rest has narrowed this season, with the Dons, Dundee United, Hearts and Hibs all taking points off the leading two.

Calderwood said: “I am not sure if the gap is reducing that much when you look at the difference in terms of points.

“We are still 13 points behind Rangers and another two behind Celtic. But there definitely is no longer the fear factor which surrounded the Old Firm when I first came back to Scotland nine years ago.

“The results this season have shown teams are capable of taking points off them on a more regular basis.

“It has been a long time coming but we have pushed them both close in the past few seasons and just came up short in terms of results.

“We have managed to beat Rangers at our place a few times and it was great to get the monkey off our backs against Celtic last weekend.

“The players are full of confidence and, although we will give Rangers massive respect, we will be going out to get the three points as we always do.â€

More than 18,000 supporters were at Pittodrie last weekend and Calderwood is hoping for the same again this Saturday, if not more.

The Dons have clocked up six consecutive home victories to haul themselves up to third in the table for the first time this season.

Calderwood said: “The crowd was fantastic last week and I reckon it will be even better this weekend. I would expect it to be close to a sellout and it will be a terrific atmosphere.

“With 16 games remaining I think it is fair to say we won’t be able to overtake Rangers, but we still want to strengthen our hold on third place. The players have worked hard to get to where they are from the bottom of the table and now they want to stay there.â€

Attacker Jamie Smith remains the only absentee for the weekend, with Stuart Duff suffering no reaction on his scoring return after knee surgery.

Very true with what he is saying, however, 16 games left, the league is in our grasps ;)

Calderwood said: “The crowd was fantastic last week and I reckon it will be even better this weekend. I would expect it to be close to a sellout and it will be a terrific atmosphere.

I really think the club should address this issue.  Watching the game on Setanta last week and it sounded like a morgue which I was utterly convinced at the time it wouldn't be.

No doubt the mics were in front of the away fans and other than the scoreline, I never really found myself thinking "It sounds magic at the game, wish I was there!" which I'm sure would tempt a few more armchair fans along.

I'm sure the club could think up some sort of reason for not putting the mics trackside (linesman, ball boys, wheelchair access, fire escape route, etc) and house them nearer the RDS or SS home fans.

I really think the club should address this issue.  Watching the game on Setanta last week and it sounded like a morgue which I was utterly convinced at the time it wouldn't be.

No doubt the mics were in front of the away fans and other than the scoreline, I never really found myself thinking "It sounds magic at the game, wish I was there!" which I'm sure would tempt a few more armchair fans along.

I'm sure the club could think up some sort of reason for not putting the mics trackside (linesman, ball boys, wheelchair access, fire escape route, etc) and house them nearer the RDS or SS home fans.

The atmosphere was good, but it was also very nervy which can really dampen things a bit. I'm watching the game over again at the moment, and its a real struggle to hear our lads, despite the fact that I know the RDU was absolutely bouncing.

I remember thinking it sounded ace when the goals went in at the time, but watching it back it sounded pretty quiet.

I've noticed this quite a lot during games at Pittodrie when I see the goals on the tv again.

Papac has been cleared to play - they are appealing his red last weekend.

Wouldn't want them using that as an excuse.....

I doubt his presence will be pivotal. If we turn up and play to form they will not have enough to resist us. I personally cannot fucking wait for this game. I have booked Santa TV just for the occassion  :thumbsup:

Calderwood said: “I am not sure if the gap is reducing that much when you look at the difference in terms of points.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:, seriously, Jimmy can you not see what is so fucking wrong re above quote?!!.

FFS JC you are the manager of Aberdeen, for the time being.

The "gap" is reducing. Realistically it could have been reduced more. We could have been a few points behind the huns if not for the  :-[ of ICT and Hamilton x 2 defeats.

“The players are full of confidence and, although we will give Rangers massive respect, we will be going out to get the three points as we always do.â€

WTF re giving the huns "massive respect" ?!, .... NEVER!

There was also some quote wi JC saying we couldnae make up the points on the huns in the SPL....

.... at the school I went to, (and checked ma counting on ma abacus!! ;) ) when we beat the huns on Sat = 10 points behind them. 15 games then still to play = maximum 45 points....

We can still do it!

I completely agree.  if we were still sitting fourth or fifth, I think his tune would be, "we have 13 point to make up, that will be our target for the end of the season,to secure third place."  Now because it is the prospect of getting higher in the league those point are some sort of psychological unclimbable mountain.  Utter pish.  Keep the form going, keep the points coming our way and closing in on the weakest hun team in years should be a realistic aim.

Ps Fuck giving the hun one iota of respect. Ever. Get INTAE them!!

Jesus, JC talks is up, slated. JC downplays it, slated. Beginning to think he's getting it about right nowadays though it has taken a while. And it's always the weakest Hun team in years. They have huge motivation for tommorrow so its time for balls out, commanchees in a fucking riot type performance to not just match the cunts but overwhelm them. I'm certain JC thinks the same, he just has to play the game in the paper beforehand.

Jesus, JC talks is up, slated. JC downplays it, slated. Beginning to think he's getting it about right nowadays though it has taken a while. And it's always the weakest Hun team in years. They have huge motivation for tommorrow so its time for balls out, commanchees in a fucking riot type performance to not just match the cunts but overwhelm them. I'm certain JC thinks the same, he just has to play the game in the paper beforehand.

Exactly, the Huns have enough motivation to win tomorrows match without JC adding fuel to the already red hot fire.

Jimmy can you not see what is so fucking wrong re above quote?!!.

FFS JC you are the manager of Aberdeen, for the time being.

The "gap" is reducing. Realistically it could have been reduced more. We could have been a few points behind the huns if not for the  :-[ of ICT and Hamilton x 2 defeats.

Can you not see what's wrong with your quote though?  ;)

The Old Firm aren't as far ahead of us as they may have been in previous years, but it's worth noting (and I've been saying this for a while) that the rest of the league is tighter than it's been in years.  The points gained against the OF are being dropped elsewhere, not just by us.

There's very little between the second tier (us, Hearts, Dundee Utd,) other than the strength of their squads. 

Hibs and Motherwell will both still feel they're in with a shout of 3rd place.  If anyone can out a run together (like Hearts did earlier in the year and we're doing now) you'll climb the league rapidly.

There is always a delicate balance between keeping the support upbeat and believing that the club are serious about the challenge or blowing off about how we can catch the OF knowing we could get caught with our pants down as we have so many times in the past.

I agree with Funster, JC is doing a significantly better job of handling his messages through the media and coupled with a more settled team, confidence is high.

I prefer the Aberdeen that show humility and quiet confidence and just get on with the job. Best we don't get ahead of ourselves until 2:15 tomorrow, then we can start the bravado in earnest  ;)

NB. Lest we forget, one of the main reasons we detest the LSC so much is the way they carried on when Romanov/Burley started to put a serious challenge in at the top of the table.

I think after last weekend JC will have them fired up for this one.

Pittodrie is one of the main reasons why Rangers don't win the league and long may it continue. Kenny Miller was in the paper the other day giving it the usual "Dons raising game" chat and I honestly hope we go out and fuck them. Rangers are by no means a good team and if all of our players put in the same shift as last weekend then I really do think we can fuck these cunts properly.

I just hope the players don't think they will stroll this game because we beat the tims last weekend.

Rangers are by no means a good team and if all of our players put in the same shift as last weekend then I really do think we can fuck these cunts properly.

My hun mate was just in past and he's absolutely bricking it for tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

Spot on funster.

How many times have we seen the thread saying "Why can't you STFU you fat orange balloon" and "Do your talking on the pitch". All th eplayers are slated for mentioning we have a chance as well, for example Michael Hart being misquoted last year.

In private JC will be telling the boys to get fucking stuck in , guaranteed. But he's playing it right with the press.

As one of donstalk's most positive posters (cheers ajja  ;)) I really shouldn't be the one to point this out...

But last time we went into a Rangers game with this much confidence they beat us 3-0 at Ibrox.  :doh:

Different story tomorrow of course.  :thumbsup:

As one of donstalk's most positive posters (cheers ajja  ;)) I really shouldn't be the one to point this out...

But last time we went into a Rangers game with this much confidence they beat us 3-0 at Ibrox.  :doh:

Different story tomorrow of course.  :thumbsup:

Zip it you miserable bastard  ;)