Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Selling, and that sorta shit

So, we're pretty much riding high for the first January since forever. The only stain on our immaculate shirt is Hamilton. Jimmy is being linked with relatively big jobs down south and overseas (the Utrecht job, especially, would interest him, what with his love for everything Dutch). Mackie's being linked with a move. Miller's being linked with a move.

Should we cash in?

With the debt down to 6million-ish, I reckon now is as good a time as any to really cash in. Let's face it, Aberdeen will not progress whilst this horrible noose of debt is hanging around our necks. Having a club paying hefty bucks for JC and Lee Miller (both have about two-and-a-half years left on their respective contracts) could probably clean our financial slate and then some. Part of me wants to sell them to the highest bidder and get rid of the debt. Why? Because I still have these horrible nightmares about the ridiculous-money bids that were being talked about when Mackie, McNaughton, McGuire and Anderson were breaking through. And what did we get for them lads? Next to nothing, considering their talent (well, Anderson and McNaughton anyway). I don't want us sitting in a relegation dog-fight in two years time, still fielding those players who will invariably decide to want away at the end of their contract and us collect 75k for them. I'd rather collect the megabucks NOW whilst they're hot property.

However, part of me doesn't want them to go. That part of me wants the team to stay together, along with the manager and us clear the debt the other way ... with success on the pitch and regular runs in Europe. What say you? Do we sell now and make the most of the players' values whilst they're hot property? Or do we hold onto them, running the risk that they could either take us intae Europe again, or could turn out to be absolutely Derek Whyte and stumble to a top-six finish and leave for nowt at the end of the 2010/11 season?

So, we're pretty much riding high for the first January since forever. The only stain on our immaculate shirt is Hamilton. Jimmy is being linked with relatively big jobs down south and overseas (the Utrecht job, especially, would interest him, what with his love for everything Dutch). Mackie's being linked with a move. Miller's being linked with a move.

Should we cash in?

With the debt down to 6million-ish, I reckon now is as good a time as any to really cash in. Let's face it, Aberdeen will not progress whilst this horrible noose of debt is hanging around our necks. Having a club paying hefty bucks for JC and Lee Miller (both have about two-and-a-half years left on their respective contracts) could probably clean our financial slate and then some. Part of me wants to sell them to the highest bidder and get rid of the debt. Why? Because I still have these horrible nightmares about the ridiculous-money bids that were being talked about when Mackie, McNaughton, McGuire and Anderson were breaking through. And what did we get for them lads? Next to nothing, considering their talent (well, Anderson and McNaughton anyway). I don't want us sitting in a relegation dog-fight in two years time, still fielding those players who will invariably decide to want away at the end of their contract and us collect 75k for them. I'd rather collect the megabucks NOW whilst they're hot property.

However, part of me doesn't want them to go. That part of me wants the team to stay together, along with the manager and us clear the debt the other way ... with success on the pitch and regular runs in Europe. What say you? Do we sell now and make the most of the players' values whilst they're hot property? Or do we hold onto them, running the risk that they could either take us intae Europe again, or could turn out to be absolutely Derek Whyte and stumble to a top-six finish and leave for nowt at the end of the 2010/11 season?

No because when we play and ebat the Huns next week we will only be 10 points behind them. They'll sell Boyd, no more goals and we'll finish second. Qualify for the champions League group stages and clear the debt. Stay positive dude :thumbsup:

Keep team together and push for another European run. Even a few ties and a big draw against a German side can net you a cool million clams. While I can see your sense in selling up and clearing debt, I'm not so sure that rubbing that out will make huge changes to how we compete in future. Football is going to go through big changes soon and the financial aspects of clubs will see a sea change. Lets make hay today  :thumbsup:

Completely agree. I don't want this team to be broken up. They are starting to play well and actually win, what sort of ambition is that to break up a team that we've been praying for for years! Yes its not always great, but they've provided us with many highs. I think it would be a tremendous shot in the foot, unless, as TF says, it was silly money.

Anyway, second spot, here we come ;)

I agree completely although our current form/position whilst good, could actually be better.

If we had seen off Hibs, Caley, Arabs and Hamilton we could be in a title race.

Very true GD, it is a bit of a sobering thought that had we even won just 3 of those daft games at the start we would be clear in third and at least be able to say we were in the mix. As it is, we have rally shat in our own nest but at least they have went the right way about sorting it out. :thumbsup:

Very true GD, it is a bit of a sobering thought that had we even won just 3 of those daft games at the start we would be clear in third and at least be able to say we were in the mix. As it is, we have rally shat in our own nest but at least they have went the right way about sorting it out. :thumbsup:

Keeps the season interesting ;) We don't like to be straight forward with these things  :thumbsup:

I wonder if pumping Celtic will result in our very own media spunkfest?

Probably not.

I think lessons will be learned after last season.  Two seasons ago we kept the team together (because nobody wanted any of them) and we had a good run in Europe.  Last season we cashed in round the January window which basically ended our season (crashed out of the cup and struggled to get into the top 6).

As a fan I'd say keep the team together then cash in when summer rolls around.  Jimmy (believe it or not some of you!) always manages to replace players who we all thought were better than the current crop.

It'll be the accountants who decide though.

What exactly is the point in having that much money sitting in the bank if we have loans to pay off?

We're sure as fuck not going to go out and spend that sort of money on players.  £50k here, £100k there perhaps but millions in the bank when we're in debt.

Would we not be better off paying it off so we don't get hammered by interest and keeping say £250k for a rainy day?

What exactly is the point in having that much money sitting in the bank if we have loans to pay off?

We're sure as fuck not going to go out and spend that sort of money on players.  £50k here, £100k there perhaps but millions in the bank when we're in debt.

Would we not be better off paying it off so we don't get hammered by interest and keeping say £250k for a rainy day?

Possibly for accounting reasons, to make the Balance Sheet look better at year end - it would show that the club doesn't have cash flow problems (which the huns and diet huns certainly do) but at the same time can also off-set it against the debt.  The chances are that it has now been put towards the debt. Someone with a better knowledge of these things than me will maybe know, but there is also the case of the football side of things being kept seperate to the rest of the business operation at Pittodrie, that may have something to do with it.