Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: Calderwood is set on busting a four-year Hoops hoodoo

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1031888

aberdeen haven’t beaten celtic at pittodrie during jimmy’s dons tenure

By Michael Gannon

Published: 16/01/2009

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood is determined to deliver a long overdue victory against Celtic at Pittodrie this weekend.

The Dons have not defeated the Parkhead club in Aberdeen during Calderwood’s four-and-a-half year reign. Their last win over the Hoops in the Granite City was in December 2001.

Aberdeen go into Sunday’s match with high hopes on the back of five consecutive home victories and five league wins out of six, but their form is attracting interest in players with English Championship side Coventry City keeping tabs on forward Darren Mackie.

Calderwood said: ““We have won a couple of times at Parkhead and their have been draws up here. It is a strange one because the matches tend to be close affairs, apart from one of the games up here last season when Aiden McGeady was unbelievable.

“We came within a minute of beating them here in the cup last season before winning the replay at Parkhead, so there is no reason why we cannot go out and win this time. It should be a wonderful occasion.

“The atmosphere at Pittodrie for the Hearts game after Christmas was the best I have witnessed here outside the European games, and to have that again would be fantastic.

“We are got ourselves close to where I wanted us to be at this stage. I would have liked to have been third, but we are just two points off and right in the mix.â€

The Dons will be without Jamie Smith and Derek Young and captain Scott Severin will be assessed in training today.

Severin has a slight knee complaint after physically demanding games on Alloa’s artificial pitch and then in heavy conditions at Rugby Park in the 2-1 victory at Kilmarnock.

Forward Tommy Wright is likely to be on the bench against Celtic after coming through a reserve match against a RAF Select on Wednesday, where he was on the scoresheet in a 6-0 victory.

Calderwood said: “It is great to have Tommy back involved again.

“He has worked extremely hard and is in great shape.

“He is hungry to show Aberdeen supporters what he is all about.

“They probably won’t see the best of him until next season, but I am sure he can have a say this year.â€

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood is determined to deliver a long overdue victory against Celtic at Pittodrie this weekend.

The Dons have not defeated the Parkhead club in Aberdeen during Calderwood’s four-and-a-half year reign. Their last win over the Hoops in the Granite City was in December 2001.

Aberdeen go into Sunday’s match with high hopes on the back of five consecutive home victories and five league wins out of six, but their form is attracting interest in players with English Championship side Coventry City keeping tabs on forward Darren Mackie.

Calderwood said: ““We have won a couple of times at Parkhead and their have been draws up here. It is a strange one because the matches tend to be close affairs, apart from one of the games up here last season when Aiden McGeady was unbelievable.

“We came within a minute of beating them here in the cup last season before winning the replay at Parkhead, so there is no reason why we cannot go out and win this time. It should be a wonderful occasion.

“The atmosphere at Pittodrie for the Hearts game after Christmas was the best I have witnessed here outside the European games, and to have that again would be fantastic.

“We are got ourselves close to where I wanted us to be at this stage. I would have liked to have been third, but we are just two points off and right in the mix.â€

The Dons will be without Jamie Smith and Derek Young and captain Scott Severin will be assessed in training today.

Severin has a slight knee complaint after physically demanding games on Alloa’s artificial pitch and then in heavy conditions at Rugby Park in the 2-1 victory at Kilmarnock.

Forward Tommy Wright is likely to be on the bench against Celtic after coming through a reserve match against a RAF Select on Wednesday, where he was on the scoresheet in a 6-0 victory.

“They probably won’t see the best of him until next season, but I am sure he can have a say this year.â€

aberdeen haven’t beaten celtic at pittodrie during jimmy’s dons tenure

By Michael Gannon

Published: 16/01/2009

Eh??? There is still 4 months of the season left, what the fuck is he planning on doing for those four months?!

Possibly an assumption that Miller will keep himself in the team ? Unless he gets injured or sold there should be no real reason to require Wright to show us anything other than his benchwarming capability.