Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Lee Miller

JIMMY CALDERWOOD will do all he can to keep Lee Miller at Aberdeen - but the Dons boss admits if the striker continues his recent fine form it could be hard to persuade him to stay.

Calderwood believes Miller is the best striker in the SPL and fears a big-money bid during this month's transfer window.

But he says the Pittodrie club can't afford to sell the hitman because he has a key role to play in clinching a return to Europe.

Caldo said: "There is no need to sell Lee and we aren't even thinking about it but if daft money was offered it would have to considered.

"The hope is he will see out his contract and sign another one. However, if he keeps going the way he is at the moment that might prove difficult to sort out.

"But our fans can be assured he will be with Aberdeen for a wee while yet.

"He has certainly taken his game up to a totally different level during the course of 2008 and let's hope he can continue that in the New Year.

"He is more consistent now and has got a real hunger and desire to be the best striker he can possibly be. He has really grown in stature and is now the best target man in the SPL. He is as near to the perfect striker as Aberdeen can afford.

"Celtic's Georgios Samaras has more pace and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink is good in the air but they don't have the skill or first touch that Lee has been blessed with.

"I suppose we should be grateful he doesn't have that bit of extra pace because if he had I'm certain one of the big clubs in England would have snapped him up long ago."

Calderwood signed Miller on a free transfer from Dundee United and now rates his top scorer in the million-pound bracket.

Aberdeen generated a £2.3million profit from their last European campaign and securing a place in the new Europa League would help hold on to their stars.

Calderwood said: "Getting back into Europe in the first full season after rebuilding the side would be really good. We lost some good players over the last year and I expected us to find it really tough to regain third spot right away.

"I was confident they would do it eventually but only after the new players had been given time to adapt and settle in at Pittodrie.

"It's to their credit they have managed to get us in contention ahead of schedule."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/01/01/jimmy-calderwood-i-ll-pull-out-all-the-stops-to-keep-lee-miller-at-pittodrie-86908-21008197/

I've been drinking heavily so will no doubt regret this, plus I definitely want us to keep Miller. However, dare I suggest that if Miller wants to go, swap for Alan Gow and Chris Burke giving us Burke and Aluko on the wings with Gow and Tommy Wright up top??? Doubt it would happen as I think Gow wants to stay in England but you never know...

I think it would be fucking hillarious if he signed for the huns.  He's playing well for us just now and would be a big loss to Aberdeen, he'd be a huge player for any club outside the old firm, but surely to fuck Rangers should be targeting better players than Lee Miller?  I'd be delighted to be playing Rangers if they had him up front.

Anyway, he'd have to be mental to go there and sit on the bench.  Lee, don't do it.  The future is red.  ;)

I've been drinking heavily so will no doubt regret this, plus I definitely want us to keep Miller. However, dare I suggest that if Miller wants to go, swap for Alan Gow and Chris Burke giving us Burke and Aluko on the wings with Gow and Tommy Wright up top??? Doubt it would happen as I think Gow wants to stay in England but you never know...

No thanks.

I think it would be fucking hillarious if he signed for the huns.  He's playing well for us just now and would be a big loss to Aberdeen, he'd be a huge player for any club outside the old firm, but surely to fuck Rangers should be targeting better players than Lee Miller?  I'd be delighted to be playing Rangers if they had him up front.

Anyway, he'd have to be mental to go there and sit on the bench.  Lee, don't do it.  The future is red.  ;)

Someone on AFChat posted a few replies from followfollow regarding Rangers supposed interest in Miller a few days ago. They were not happy - 'I won't be back at Ibrox if he arrives', 'Smith must go if this is how low we have sunk' etc etc

Seen much of either Gow or Wright upfront in the past 2 years?....

And thats before even getting onto the fact that Miller signed a 3 year deal less than a year ago, it will take real money to sign miller, and after the board seeing how much cash can be made from playing from europe there is no chance he will be allowed to leave before that contract nears an end. 

Unless one of the OF offers stupid cash then this is nothing more than a nothing story, not worth the shitty substandard newspaper it's printed on.

end of.

Rangers were about to offer him a deal just around the time he signed his contract extension with us.

Apparently he wasnt too chuffed but he had put pen to paper with us.

It wouldnt surprise me at all to see him end up there.

Sauce?

Agreed.

The combination of Lee Miller's attitude and him 'arriving at a big club' would signal slippers and cigars like you have never seen. He would make no effort to progress as there would be little perceived reward in self-improvement.