Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Foster or McNamara

Guest AberdeenSamuel

Guest AberdeenSamuel

Was McNamara signed for the left back position?  Hart wont be shifted from right back so where will he play?  I never thought this day would come but personally i would keep Foster in the team but only at left back and he should be ahead of McNamara for this position.

If he keeps his current form at this position into next season then surely he will be a candidate for Scotland. Only Lee Naylor was a better left back during this season.

Was McNamara signed for the left back position?  Hart wont be shifted from right back so where will he play?  I never thought this day would come but personally i would keep Foster in the team but only at left back and he should be ahead of McNamara for this position.

If he keeps his current form at this position into next season then surely he will be a candidate for Scotland. Only Lee Naylor was a better left back during this season.

Foster's done alright, it has to be said. But, if JC is adamant that Hart will definately be at right back, McNamara should be left back.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing Hart at centre half alongside Anderson, McNamara at right back and Foster at left back. Only problem with that back four is the lack of height.

I cannae believe I'm reading this about Foster!!

Last time I was at Pittodrie, Foster was a joke. He was second division material at best!!! What's happened? Has he suddenly become a decent player? Cannae be the quality of players around him making him look good, cos he's still sitting around the same players that were on the field when he was shite.

Is he really that good now? Did it just take a wee bit longer than normal for him to mature?

to be fair, foster hasn't suddenly become a good player overnight. however, he's definitely better at left back than he is up front, where his lack of ability becomes glaringly obvious. he's still too lightweight and his passing leaves a lot to be desired. but he's still got a decent shot on him and he's probably done enough this last season to feel very aggrieved if he's bombed out of the team.

jc seems to have a lot of time for him, so i'd be surprised if he loses his place altogether. left midfield sounds like it could be the place for him. or on the bench.

Foster has done well, particularly when there has been so much vocal criticism of him.  Certainly since xmas he has been solid and done a great job at LB.  He obviously isn't ever going to be a Scotland player (what you smoking Neil Simpson?) but is a great, versatile squad player for afc.  McNamara will be no doubt suffer from injuries and the like and Foster will be more than able as an understudy.

He may well do a job in LM but I'd rather get one of those rare beasts, a Left sided winger

Guest kilahun

if he can keep the form he has discovered since being moved to left back and keep hitting the 30yrd goals then i wouldnt say never to him getting a call up.  we haven't an abundance of good left backs for scotland not only going forward but at defending too and if he stays in the team then the defending part surely will get better with help from mcnamara.

Must admit to absolutely definitely being the first ever person to compare Ricky Foster with Rino Gattuso, but ...

It took a lot of kicking and screaming from Gattuso to accept that he wasn't an attacking midfielder, and that he'd be best sitting in a defensive role. Dick Advocaat wasn't his favourite person in the world after this move.

But hey, he's gone on to realise that he IS a better player when playing in defence. And just yesterday he picked up a Champions League winners medal for his efforts!

Who's to say Foster's simply been playing in the wrong position all this time, and that he is at his most effective at Left Back?!!!

Guest CM1983

I'd definitely agree that Foster's best at left back. For all his pace and the odd goal when he breaks into the 2nd 3rd of the pitch he tends to make an arse of it. It seems to be a confidence thing. That's why he scores these goals from so far out cos there's no pressure he just skelps it, if it goes in fair play, if it doesn't at least he had a dig. It's a bit of a shame cos I can't see Jimmy picking him for left back ahead of Jackie Mac.

If this De Visscher chappy is in the wing mould of Stephen Glass circa 1997-98, I'll be a very happy dandy! We've not had a left sided winger since Glass. Infact, I don't think we've had a decent winger on either side since Glass (Jamie Smith aside)

jamie smith is much better and effective through the middle than on the wing, lucky for us jimmy has said that jeffrey has been bought to give smith more freedom