Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: It will turn out all Wright for Tommy

Aberdeen assistant manager Jimmy Nicholl insists attacker Tommy Wright has the strength of character to overcome the disastrous start to his Dons career and win over the Pittodrie supporters.

The summer signing has managed just 111 minutes of first-team football in an injury blighted four-month spell with the club, conceding a penalty in his only start for the team and failing to break his scoring duck.

Wright has had a cast removed from the damaged Achilles tendon which has caused him to miss the last two months of SPL action.

The 24-year-old Englishman has not returned to full training and Nicholl admits it has been a difficult time for the former Darlington forward.

He said: “Tommy’s progress is one for the medical people to consider. I don’t like putting a timescale on recovery. I see him working away in the gym, but we want him back out on the training pitch with the rest of us.

“At this moment he is not ready to join in with any football related work, so it is impossible to say how far away he is from playing.

“Like everyone else who is out for a long time, he is finding it hard.

“When you are not involved in things, all you want to do is get yourself fit. It comes to a Saturday and you see the team running out – that is when it hits you hardest.

“The determination to get fit and do his work is there, but I can understand how he feels.â€

Nicholl is confident Wright’s determination to regain full fitness will soon reap rewards and, despite his difficult start to life as a Dons player, still believes he has the potential to be a success in the north-east.

He said: “If you look at any player who comes here, it can take two or three months to settle in. The difference is they are at least playing and the crowd can see they are going to be a good player for the future. If you are not playing it obviously going to take longer to prove your worth.

“We can see the way he goes about his business, and his attitude and I don’t think it will take him long to win the supporters over once he is back playing.â€

While Wright is still receiving treatment for his injury, there has been brighter news for Sone Aluko and Jamie Smith. Both are back in full training and could be involved in Saturday’s game at Inverness.

Nicholl said: “Sone and Jamie Smith were both looking good this morning in training. As long as there is no reaction then they will be available for Jimmy to consider for this weekend’s game

“But do you go straight into first-team football without a game for the reserves? That is something for the players and the medical staff to consider.

“We don’t put any pressure on them. Some players feel comfortable to go straight back in and others may feel they need to be eased back in.

“If Jamie keeps going the way he has been until the end of the week, he may put himself up for selection.

“With Sone, given the shorter period of time he has been out, I would imagine he will be ready.â€