Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Striker can mix it with best

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/975580

Striker can mix it with best

Published: 09/12/2008

LEE MILLER is leading the race to be crowned the Evening Express Dons Player of the Year.

Striker Miller has collected the most points so far in our Matchfiles, which appear after every Dons game.

Match analyst and former Dons skipper Stewart McKimmie isn’t surprised to see Miller leading.

“I doubt if anyone would disagree with me saying Lee has been Aberdeen’s top performer of the season so far,†said Stewart.

“I’m sure he will be a wee bit disappointed to have scored only four goals at this stage.

“But he isn’t a natural scorer, so I don’t see that as a big problem.

“Lee would also be right to argue that the supply to the strikers in the early part of the campaign was dire.

“You can slate strikers if they are missing loads of chances, but that hasn’t been the case.

“I can’t recall a single game this season when Lee’s lack of sharpness in front of goal has proved costly.

“He has led Aberdeen’s front line with distinction.â€

Stewart claimed that Miller compares favourably with former Finnish international – and now Hibs boss – Mixu Paatelainen, who he played alongside at Pittodrie in the 1990s.

“Mixu was a joy to have up front because you knew if you were under pressure and put the ball to him, it would stick,†said Stewart.

“He was one of the best target men in the business, and Lee is the same.

“He has the same strength and close skills as Mixu had. That means Lee is great at holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game.

“But he has the upper hand on Mixu when it comes to sheer workrate.

“That’s not me suggesting Mixu was a lazy player, it’s more a case of being astonished at times by the sheer amount of grafting Miller does over the course of 90 minutes.

“There may be times when he hasn’t played at his very best, but no one could ever accuse Lee of not trying.â€

Miller’s efforts this season were also rewarded with a return to the Scotland squad for last month’s Hampden friendly against Argentina when he impressed as a second half substitute.

Stewart reckons that should be enough to convince national boss George Burley to keep Miller in for their World Cup qualifier against Holland in Amsterdam in March.

“Lee is a far better option than Chris Iwelumo because of all the points I’ve already made,†said Stewart.

“Give him a quality striker to play alongside, and Scotland will definitely score more goals.â€

What if your only other option was that really cheap shiny stuff?

Well I only buy Morrisons value stuff. 12 rolls for £1.50 or something so it cant be much worse than that!

I have also been known to use face wipes which were quite refreshing on the old bee-hind so I'd take the really cheap shiny stuff! :thumbsup:

To summarise, if I had to use a newspaper to wipe me erse, the EE would be at the very bottom of the pile.

Iwelumo has scored a pile of goals in the Championship, but that's his level I think it's fair to say.  Watched him a few times and he's a pretty good player.

Lee Miller is a very good forward, although it's clear he's not a goal scoring forward in the mould of Kris Boyd.  The frustrating thing for us is that he'd work very well with a quick, clinical finisher, which we don't have.

Is Michael Owen available in January?  ;D