Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Milne Interview with RedTV

The AGM was held on Monday night. Afterwards Aberdeen FC Chairman Stewart Milne spoke to RedTV. This is what Stewart had to say.

On the financial results this year

“It has been a good year financially for the club. The run in Europe has helped us deliver a reasonable profit for the year and I think it is appreciated by shareholders that we have been able to achieve that. Hopefully they are behind the club in how we are going to invest the profits. We are not going to go out and spend the money in one season. The aim is to spend it over a number of seasons so we can lift what we are putting into the football budget year on year.”

On the importance of European football

“European football is not just about the financial side though. It is important but just experiencing some of the games last year makes you appreciate just how important it is to play in Europe. You see football in a different light when you get some of the games that we did last year like Copenhagen. The atmosphere is stadium was incredible. They are special nights. It is vital for the fans and the club that we are playing in Europe on a regular basis from a football AND financial perspective. “

On the credit crunch and football

“I have said for many years that if football was going to survive and grow and go forward in the medium to long term, football has to learn to live within its means. More and more clubs are realising just how important that is. It is even more important with the environment we are going to enter into in the next couple of years. I think it is going to pose some real challenges in the game.”

On investing last season’s profits

“Everyone wants to see the team doing their best and wants to see maximum investment in the team but it is a case of striking a balance. All the money cannot go into the first team. It is equally important there is serious investment made in the youth development operation. I would like to think we have moved somewhere along the right lines in getting that balance better than it has been in the past. “

On the expectation levels of the fans

“There was a big debate about this at the AGM. (With some of the fans unhappy with some quotes in the press). I believe a lot of it comes down to ineffective communication. Some of the things we say with the right intent but not necessarily picked up with the same view by supporters.

“ I don’t think the fans have unrealistic expectations. It is important we all have asperations.

“There has to be an acknowledgement though that every other club has similar asperations. We are playing in a very competitive league, we will have good runs, other teams will have good runs. What is very important is that the fans stick behind the team because the importance of their support can never be underestimated. They can be that 12th man during the game. I think it is fantastic when we have a good game here, the team are playing well, the support is fantastic. There are times when the supporters get frustrated and that can at times have a negative effect on the team.”

On attendances

“I think we have made real progress over the last three to four years but the one front that has disappointed us is that we have not been able to grow the support as much as we would to. We have no god given right for people to come here and support the club. We have just got to keep working that little bit harder to try and make the football more attractive, create a great desire for people to come to the club.”

On Jimmy Calderwood

“I think if you take where we were before Jimmy joined us and where we are now I think it is difficult for anyone to argue that there hasn’t been real progress within that time scale. I think we have a much stronger first team squad that we had four years ago. We are delivering more consistent results; we are up there competing at the right end of the league most of the time. Some people are critical and would want to see a different style of football at times. I think Jimmy is striving to give the fans what they are looking for, consistent results and good performances.”

On his own future

“I think it depends. I still think there is a lot of unfinished business that I would like to see through. I am still committed to the football club and it would give me great pride and pleasure to see us one day move into a new stadium but more importantly I want to see us move into a new stadium with a strong team playing great football. We know behind that we have a fantastic youth development set up. I think if that can be achieved then I might accept that is the time for me to walk away.”

On the New Stadium

“There has been a lot of work going on in the background over the last six to nine months. We have to do an evaluation on the two sites that were identified. That should all come to a conclusion at the end of January and there will be a report goes to the council early to mid February hopefully with a clear recommendation that one of the sites should be pursued.”

Really good stuff, cheers for posting that up Bobo.

Good to see that he wants European football not just for financial reasons, but also for the boost it gives the club and supporters in general.

Hopefully he's not just making the right noises with no substance behind it. I genuinely do believe milne wants what is best for the club.....with Pittodrie on the side!

On Jimmy Calderwood

“I think if you take where we were before Jimmy joined us and where we are now I think it is difficult for anyone to argue that there hasn’t been real progress within that time scale. I think we have a much stronger first team squad that we had four years ago. We are delivering more consistent results; we are up there competing at the right end of the league most of the time. Some people are critical and would want to see a different style of football at times. I think Jimmy is striving to give the fans what they are looking for, consistent results and good performances.â€

So who's going to be first to have a pop at this?

Place your bets...