Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: Sone can shine in attack for Dons

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/952936

By Sean Wallace

Published: 24/11/2008

SONE Aluko reckons he can thrive in his new attacking role at Pittodrie.

The English teenager was utilised in attack just off target-man Lee Miller at Ibrox, and caused Rangers huge problems, despite the Dons going down 2-0.

His performance even sparked boss Jimmy Calderwood to claim he fears the Old Firm could swoop for the 19-year-old.

Aluko said: “I am feeling stronger every time I play.

“I had a more advanced role at Ibrox and it meant I had a lot more of the ball. That helped my performance.

“However, it was disappointing not to get anything out of the game.â€

Aluko also insists there has been no fall-out from his public ear-bashing from Calderwood.

The Dons boss criticised Aluko for his part in Hibs’ last gasp equaliser in a 2-2 draw at Easter Road last week.

He said: “I have a good relationship with the manager, so it was never going to be the case of us falling out.

“We made up straight after the game and it was forgotten about by Monday.

“It was not the first time I have had an ear-bashing and probably will not be the last.â€

The English youth international accepts he was to blame for the Hibs goal as he failed to race back to help defend the Edinburgh club’s late surge.

And after signing a summer deal from Birmingham City, he is still learning his trade in the SPL.

“I deserved that criticism because I failed to track back and Hibs went up the park and scored,†he said.

“I have learned my lesson the hard way.â€

Aberdeen have not won at Ibrox for 17 years and poor defending at set-pieces ensured the long 32-game drought continued.

“We were quite comfortable going in at half-time,†said Aluko.

“But we gave away two cheap goals from set-pieces which was disappointing.â€

And another article:

You can Aluko, but don’t touchJimmy praises Sone

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

Published: 24/11/2008

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today admitted he is worried the Old Firm will try to steal rising star Sone Aluko.

The 19-year-old, right, was outstanding for Aberdeen against Rangers despite a 2-0 defeat meaning they failed to end their 17-year wait for a win at Ibrox.

Aluko’s skills and strong running caused the Rangers defence problems throughout, and made the £50,000 the Dons paid Birmingham City to get him look like the steal of the century.

Calderwood is scared the Gers – and Old Firm rivals Celtic – may eventually want to have Aluko playing for instead of against them.

“A lot of people are going to sit up and take notice if Sone keeps playing like that,†said Calderwood.

“He is the most exciting young talent in the SPL and could easily play for Celtic or Rangers.

“Managing to get Sone, for the money we did, was a great bit of business and Aberdeen will eventually get far more than was invested back.

“Hopefully we won’t have to worry about that too much for a good while yet.

“I’m happy to see Sone continuing to play like that for Aberdeen.

“He loves being in Aberdeen and enjoys playing for the club and we are pleased to have him signed up for at least the next three years.

“He was absolutely fabulous at Ibrox.

“Every time he was on the ball you were up out of your seat because you knew something exciting was about to happen.

“Rangers had nearly 50,000 fans at the game but that didn’t worry Sone in the slightest.

“He just got on with doing his stuff and the Rangers defenders had to work hard to stop him winning the game on his own.â€

Top scorer Darren Mackie missed the game because of a hamstring injury, so Aluko played in a more attacking role alongside Lee Miller.

Calderwood revealed he was going to play Aluko there even if Mackie had been fit.

“Darren would have played in a different position because we felt putting Sone up with Lee would cause Rangers a lot of problems,†he said.

“He will play there again but it will all depend on the opponents.â€

Calderwood is disappointed the Dons failed to end their long wait for an Ibrox victory – a run that now covers 17 years and 32 games – but refused to slate his players.

He said: “I didn’t have a go at the players because they gave me everything they had.

“They are as annoyed as I am about the way we gifted Rangers two goals because they missed a marvellous chance to end Aberdeen’s long run without a win at Ibrox.

“We were so near yet finished so far away again.

“It was the same for us at Celtic Park and that’s the most baffling thing for me.

“If we can perform like that at the home grounds of Scotland’s two biggest clubs we should have the confidence to do that at Pittodrie as well.

“That’s why I get so angry with them at times because I know they can do it.â€

Mackie is expected to be fit to face the Steelmen but Jamie Smith, Tommy Wright, Bertrand Bossu and Stuart Duff will miss out again.

“If we can perform like that at the home grounds of Scotland’s two biggest clubs we should have the confidence to do that at Pittodrie as well.

“That’s why I get so angry with them at times because I know they can do it.â€

JC, it's not difficult, you even said it yourself:

“Darren would have played in a different position because we felt putting Sone up with Lee would cause Rangers a lot of problems,†he said.

“He will play there again but it will all depend on the opponents.â€

Why?!  :hammer:

Matching up to St Mirren at home or going out to win against the Huns in Glasgow.

If it works against the Huns then surely to fuck it would work against poorer opposition!

Why?!   :hammer:

Matching up to St Mirren at home or going out to win against the Huns in Glasgow.

If it works against the Huns then surely to fuck it would work against poorer opposition!

I think that quote alone is what sums up Jimmy Calderwood. Its bloody annoying.  :hammer:

I was out in Edinburgh on Saturday with friends, one a hun. We later met up with his son who had been at the game and all night he raved about Aluko, and was amazed when I told him he was only 19.

Going abit off topic but he also said we were the best team in the first half but were overwhelmed in the second half. Fair assessment?

Why?!   :hammer:

???

We beat St Mirren.

We lost against the Huns.