Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mackie’s tipped to be Dons goal ace

Mackie’s tipped to be Dons goal ace

Jimmy backs striker to join greats

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 18/11/2008

DARREN Mackie is one goal away from becoming the first Don in a decade to net 50 times in the league.

And manager Jimmy Calderwood reckons the hitman has it in him to break into the club’s all-time top 10 strikers by topping the 100 mark before his Pittodrie career ends.

Mackie’s header against Hibs at Easter Road at the weekend was his 49th in the SPL for the club.

One more will see him match Billy Dodds, who in 1998 became the last Aberdeen striker to reach the half century in the league.

Calderwood believes Mackie – who is struggling to recover from a hamstring injury picked up in the 2-2 draw in Edinburgh – should also set his sights on becoming the first Don since Mark McGhee to breach the 100 goal mark in all competitions.

Calderwood said: “Darren should be thinking about reaching that 100 goal target.

“If he stays fit he is capable of getting 12 to 15 a season, so it is well within his range.

“It would be great for the kid, so I wish him the best of luck.

“It would probably mean spending the rest of his career with Aberdeen if he is to achieve that. “But if he is scoring that regularly, I’m sure that wouldn’t be a problem.â€

Mackie has now racked up 57 goals in 179 starts in all competitions and Calderwood reckons that is a decent return from a striker he sees as more than just a goalscorer.

He said: “Some people will argue that Darren should have scored a lot more goals already.

“But if had that in him, he wouldn’t be at Aberdeen now.

“I’m happy we have a striker who gets goals and provides aggression up front,†he said.

“Darren is a gem and I hope he will be with the Dons for as long as I am.â€

How many goals has he scored outwith the SPL?

erm 8...... :wave:

Mackie’s header against Hibs at Easter Road at the weekend was his 49th in the SPL for the club.

Mackie has now racked up 57 goals in 179 starts in all competitions

didn't even need a calculator :P

Say what you like but the boy has been through about as many managers as Anelka, James Beatie and Jim Hamilton combined (or it certainly feels like it) yet he's still being picked at a regular basis.  People in the know, who actually make a living from football want him in their team each week, Caley snapped our hands off for a loan and United were willing to offer him more money.

Now you can argue that he's not the most skillful of players, "his second touch is a tackle", etc.... but his workrate, aggression, pace, passion and (believe it or not) ability to score crucial goals means I'm happy he's at our club.

Unlike Miller, he doesn't do the pretty things that well but if Miller could get on the score sheet more often then he'd probably not be at AFC.  Likewise, to paraphrase JC; if Darren could do the pretty stuff along with what he already offers then he'd not be here.

But he is here.  He puts the boot in (Aluko?), he's been top scorer a few seasons (Miller?), he's very rarely injured (Smith?), never hides and shows passion (Severin?).

I think a lot of folk carry a lot of bad blood with the lad from when he was thrown in at the deep end by Uncle Ebbe and given the lone striker role at age 17.  There was far too much pressure on him to perform and when he didn't (because he was only learning his trade) they gave him pelters and still do.

Without him we'd be a lot worse off than we are.  Doesn't make it a good reason to have him but I've already stated the reasons for doing so.

If you told me we were signing a striker that scored once every 3 games, was the top scorer at his club for 2 or 3 seasons, scored goals in European games, played over (X?) hundred of games for his club over a 10 year period and was only just edging up to the 30 year old mark then I'd tell you to lay off the drugs.

If you have to boo someone which I'm convinced certain members of our 'support' do, then aim it at those who couldn't get a game ahead of Mackie.  It's not because he's got pictures of JC's wife, it's not because he's his love child, it's not for any number of reasons other than he's putting in more effort in training and giving more back in games than Lovell, D'Jaffo, Winters, Z'Drillic, Stewart, Hamilton, Maguire, Wright, the list goes on....... ever did.

Take a bow Dazza.

:thumbsup:

Aye but there were moments when you could put a safe bet on Doddsy scoring for the Dons.

There are times when you could put yer mortgage on Mackie ballooning the ball over the bar from 2 yards out of an open goal!

They may be different shades of shite. But where Dodds was a lump of shite sitting on the pavement ... Mackie is what sits at the bottom of a long-drop that's been sitting there for decades.

A lot of what ST says is absolutely true, he tries like fuck, he does all the ugly stuff, he harrasses the fuck out of defenders but there is no substitute for ability.

But again he has been picked by a succession of managers, though up until recently that meant very little, they were pretty much clowns.

Calderwood sees something in the guy and he is more qualified than either myself or anyone else on here.

One other thing, he does have a habit of scoring important goals.

He's injured right now! And he was injured for two-thirds of last season. Pretty sure he was out for the majority of Paterson's last season too!

Injury prone is what I meant.  Every player picks up an injury now and then and the way he puts himself about, crunches into 50/50's and isn't scared to get stuck in shows he's not powder puff.

In fact I can't ever remember him ever needing treatment on the park or hobbling off.

Aye but there were moments when you could put a safe bet on Doddsy scoring for the Dons.

There are times when you could put yer mortgage on Mackie ballooning the ball over the bar from 2 yards out of an open goal!

They may be different shades of shite. But where Dodds was a lump of shite sitting on the pavement ... Mackie is what sits at the bottom of a long-drop that's been sitting there for decades.

You could also argue that Dodds had far better players around him than Mackie has had during his time in the first team. 

I've said on here in the past that I just kind of accept now that Mackie is always going to be with us and where I used to really get myself frustrated with him I now attempt to let it wash over me. 

His work rate is admirable, but then, I spoke to an ex coach of ours who was a far, far better striker in his day than Mackie is (take a guess who it is  ;) ). He said Mackie's attitude was appalling in training, he wouldn't listen to anyone trying to help him and thought he knew it all. He said "if you think he's bad on Saturdays, you should see him in training. He has the ability, but he isn't interested in being told how to use it."  Extremely sad and frustrating if accurate.

You could also argue that Dodds had far better players around him than Mackie has had during his time in the first team. 

I've said on here in the past that I just kind of accept now that Mackie is always going to be with us and where I used to really get myself frustrated with him I now attempt to let it wash over me. 

His work rate is admirable, but then, I spoke to an ex coach of ours who was a far, far better striker in his day than Mackie is (take a guess who it is  ;) ). He said Mackie's attitude was appalling in training, he wouldn't listen to anyone trying to help him and thought he knew it all. He said "if you think he's bad on Saturdays, you should see him in training. He has the ability, but he isn't interested in being told how to use it."  Extremely sad and frustrating if accurate.

If it's the striekr i'm thinking of Bobby I wouldn't take his opinion or coaching ability too seriously. Give us a pm.

Say what you like but the boy has been through about as many managers as Anelka, James Beatie and Jim Hamilton combined (or it certainly feels like it) yet he's still being picked at a regular basis.  People in the know, who actually make a living from football want him in their team each week, Caley snapped our hands off for a loan and United were willing to offer him more money.

Now you can argue that he's not the most skillful of players, "his second touch is a tackle", etc.... but his workrate, aggression, pace, passion and (believe it or not) ability to score crucial goals means I'm happy he's at our club.

Unlike Miller, he doesn't do the pretty things that well but if Miller could get on the score sheet more often then he'd probably not be at AFC.  Likewise, to paraphrase JC; if Darren could do the pretty stuff along with what he already offers then he'd not be here.

But he is here.  He puts the boot in (Aluko?), he's been top scorer a few seasons (Miller?), he's very rarely injured (Smith?), never hides and shows passion (Severin?).

I think a lot of folk carry a lot of bad blood with the lad from when he was thrown in at the deep end by Uncle Ebbe and given the lone striker role at age 17.  There was far too much pressure on him to perform and when he didn't (because he was only learning his trade) they gave him pelters and still do.

Without him we'd be a lot worse off than we are.  Doesn't make it a good reason to have him but I've already stated the reasons for doing so.

If you told me we were signing a striker that scored once every 3 games, was the top scorer at his club for 2 or 3 seasons, scored goals in European games, played over (X?) hundred of games for his club over a 10 year period and was only just edging up to the 30 year old mark then I'd tell you to lay off the drugs.

If you have to boo someone which I'm convinced certain members of our 'support' do, then aim it at those who couldn't get a game ahead of Mackie.  It's not because he's got pictures of JC's wife, it's not because he's his love child, it's not for any number of reasons other than he's putting in more effort in training and giving more back in games than Lovell, D'Jaffo, Winters, Z'Drillic, Stewart, Hamilton, Maguire, Wright, the list goes on....... ever did.

Take a bow Dazza.

:thumbsup:

Spot on ST.

It must be his testimonial season.  Given how much he divides the fans, they might need a pretty decent opposition to guarantee more than a couple of thousand turning up.

It must be his testimonial season.  Given how much he divides the fans, they might need a pretty decent opposition to guarantee more than a couple of thousand turning up.

Unfortunately for Darren Mackie, it's been ten years of mediocrity. Whilst the last few testemonials I remember have been for real legends like Russell Anderson, Jim Leighton and Brian Irvine, Mackie has never come near legendary status. He's just been here for ten years ... that's all.

The lad has bags of potential.

Next Michael Owen I heard ;)

In all seriousness though, as much as I dislike him, we have seen the best of him under JC. He has the knack of scoring important goals for us and he does play for the jersey which can't be said for most players these days. If he only he scored a few more goals he'd be a very good player for us.

Next Michael Owen I heard ;)

In all seriousness though, as much as I dislike him, we have seen the best of him under JC. He has the knack of scoring important goals for us and he does play for the jersey which can't be said for most players these days. If he only he scored a few more goals he'd be a very good player for us.

Ergo he is not a very good player for us?  :thumbsup: