Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Mark is aiming to take Kerr of Hibs

Mark is aiming to take Kerr of Hibs

Dons midfielder targets UEFA Cup slot

By Sean Wallace

Published: 14/11/2008

MARK Kerr reckons he has finally settled in at Pittodrie after a nightmare start to his Dons career.

The midfielder was distraught to see Aberdeen hit the foot of the SPL table, just months after his summer switch from Dundee United.

But with Aberdeen now up to fifth, Kerr insists the charge for Europe is now on – but only if they beat Hibs at Easter Road tomorrow.

He said: “Despite the poor start to the season, Aberdeen are a team definitely going places under Jimmy Calderwood.

“A return to Europe for the club has got to be the target and we will give everything to push for that this season.

“Beating St Mirren 2-0 at Pittodrie in midweek was an important result as it moved us back up into the top six.

“Now the next step is to start picking up wins regularly and challenge for that UEFA Cup spot.â€

The 26-year-old turned down potential moves to England to sign on at Pittodrie in the summer.

With the Dons enduring one of their worst ever starts to a season, Kerr admits it was difficult to settle at Pittodrie.

But he has absolutely no regrets about committing to Calderwood’s side.

“I am really loving my time at Aberdeen, but it was difficult to settle in at first due to the poor run of results,†he said.

“That put a lot of pressure on me – and the team.

“We had been jeered off the pitch at Pittodrie a couple of times which was understandable due to some of the performances.

“At one point, we were bottom of the SPL.

“It became that little bit harder to settle because although Aberdeen have played well in patches there has not been a run of wins.

“Hopefully that will change now, and after beating St Mirren we need to take three points at Easter Road to build up some momentum.â€

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood singled out Kerr for praise after the 2-0 midweek win over St Mirren.

The midfielder was instrumental in carving out Andrew Considine’s opening goal to break the stalemate in a dire game.

And Kerr will use that ringing endorsement to push on for the rest of the campaign.

“The win over St Mirren wasn’t pretty at times but we just kept digging away,†he said.

“Although it looked like one of those games when a goal would never come, there was no way we were going to lie down.

“It was just a case of having the patience to wait for the breakthrough.

“Obviously we would like to play better against Hibs, but we need to show the same spirit in Edinburgh.

“It was great to be involved in the build-up to the goal, and it was a superb finish from Andy.

“The gaffer is always emphasising the importance of showing composure on the ball, so I was delighted with my skill before the goal.

“I aim to be involved in a lot more goals.â€

Aberdeen’s defensive frailties have cost them dearly this season.

Individual errors have seen the Dons throw away points in six SPL games, culminating in the recent 2-1 loss at Dundee United.

And Kerr insists they must cut out the gaffs at Easter Road.

“It is great to be up in fifth place, but 17 points at this stage is still not enough for a team like Aberdeen,†he said.

“Realistically, it should have been more.

“Slip-ups have cost us, such as the goals we lost to Dundee United, and that has to stop.

“Thankfully, Jamie Langfield hardly had a save to make against Saints, so we are getting there.â€