Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Calderwood: Smith in line for a new Dons deal

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aberdeen midfielder Jamie Smith has been told his latest injury lay-off will not damage his chances of earning a new contract.

The 27-year-old missed training yesterday due to the calf injury which prevented him from playing in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Hearts at Tynecastle. Smith will be assessed again by Dons medical staff tomorrow but is unlikely to feature against Kilmarnock on Saturday.

The former Celtic player has made just five appearances in an injury-interrupted season, on the back of a series of frustrating absences since his fruitful first campaign at Pittodrie in 2005-06.

Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood insists Smith’s long-term fitness is not a concern and believes the player will be in demand as he nears the end of his current Aberdeen deal.

Aberdeen have yet to make formal offers to Smith and his out of contract team-mates but Calderwood fears he could face competition.

He said: “At the moment we are concentrating on getting our home form right and moving up the table, but we are going to have to look at contracts and our plans for the January transfer window.

“It is not just about the senior players who are coming to the end of their contracts. We also have young out of contract players to consider as well as Michael Paton out on loan at Brechin and Jared Hodgkiss here on loan from West Brom. All of those issues have to be considered.â€

Smith and captain Scott Severin are likely to be among the first players to have their futures decided by the manager. Calderwood said: “One thing I am sure is Jamie Smith will not have a problem getting a contract and I don’t think the situation will be weighing on his mind. I don’t see any reason why he would not get a new contract here, with the obvious exception of agreeing the financial aspects of it.â€

The Scotland cap is a serious doubt for Saturday’s match but Calderwood is confident the current problem is a temporary hitch.

He said: “Jamie is a naturally fit player when he is clear of injury, so the calf strain is not a worry for him.

“If Jamie isn’t back in full training on Thursday then he won’t be playing on Saturday but he has been able to do some running, so the decision has not been made yet.â€

Calderwood, who took in Dundee United’s game against Dunfermline last night and will watch Kilmarnock against Celtic tonight in the League Cup, will step up his scouting next month as the transfer window looms.

He has reached an agreement with West Brom to keep Hodgkiss for the remainder of the season but that deal will not be concluded yet.

The Dons manager said: “I would expect him to stay but I cannot say 100% what will happen. In January we could find we have a forward injured or are in the position to bring in another good player on a permanent deal, so we will have to prioritise nearer the time.â€

I dont know if we should or shouldnt offer him a new contract. He is amazing when on form (Copenhagen etc) but he is always crocked!

I'd offer him a new deal once he's had a decent run of games under his belt. 

Cracking player and by far the most talented in the squad imo.

Completely agree with that. I just wish they'd wrap him up in cotton wool until he finally got fully fit. He'd easily get a good run after that and would prove his worth.

Iv seen him play during his brief appearences this season and have been less than impressed. Although a fan of his ability and what he brings to the team it has not showen it this year. Hes performances have been mediocre and contribution non exiistent. Perhaps it can be argued that he has not been 100% but why play him if thats not the case. At present i presume he is one of the top earners and does not merit a new contract, however an end to the injuries and return to form could quickly change this. 

I have a really tough time with Jamie Smith, along with Seve and Lee Miller. I believe they are the 3 top earners at the club yet Smith is almost always injured, Seve is often injured and inconsistent, and Miller is very inconsistent. You'd think most of our money would be spent on key players who produce week in week out yet these three are not.

Don't know if Smith is worth the money to be honest??

I have a really tough time with Jamie Smith, along with Seve and Lee Miller. I believe they are the 3 top earners at the club yet Smith is almost always injured, Seve is often injured and inconsistent, and Miller is very inconsistent. You'd think most of our money would be spent on key players who produce week in week out yet these three are not.

It's all relative. Do you know how much he is getting paid? Who could we get who is better for the same money?

You'd think most of our money would be spent on key players who produce week in week out yet these three are not.

You'd think it's fairly obvious to most that Miller and Severin are two of our key players, Smith as well when he's fit.

Were we to punt them, who would we be able to bring in to replace them and do a better job?

Hardly. Inconsistent he may be, but he has played most of our games over the past few seasons.

Aberdeen 2007 - 08

League 33  (2) 3

FA Cup 4  (0) 0

League Cup 2  (0) 0

Euro Cups 8  (0) 0

Aberdeen 2006 - 07

League 34  (1) 4

FA Cup 2  (0) 0

Aberdeen 2005 - 06

League 28  (0) 3

FA Cup 1  (0) 0

League Cup 3  (0) 0