Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jimmy: Payback time for our fans

Jimmy: Payback time for our fans

Tribute to Red Army

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 25/10/2008

THE Dons are determined to reward the bumper band of 2,000 fans who will be roaring them on at Tynecastle today.

Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood today thanked the supporters for turning out in force for their SPL clash with Hearts.

“It’s an amazing response when you consider the way we have disappointed them at times this season,†said Calderwood, who will find out later today if defender Zander Diamond and midfielder Gary McDonald are fit enough to play in Edinburgh.

“Hearts had to make an extra 600 tickets available and we had 1300 fans at Falkirk last weekend as well.

“No other club outwith the Old Firm comes close to Aberdeen as far as the number of away fans goes.

“The other clubs are delighted when it’s Aberdeen coming to town because we’ve been lining their pockets for years.

“That’s despite the extra cost to the Dons fans for travelling long distances – on this occasion for the second week in a row.

“I can’t wait to walk out at Tynecastle and see the 2000 Dons fans going mental in the stand behind the goal.

“It’s one of the main reasons why I – and most of the players – came to Aberdeen.

“You want to be playing in front of passionate fans like those every week.

“It will certainly give the lads a lift for the game and they will want to make sure they haven’t spent all that money just to make the long journey home disappointed.â€

Diamond and McDonald have the flu and were ordered to stay away from Pittodrie yesterday. Centre-back Diamond also has an ankle knock.

Calderwood said: “I’m hoping they will fine.

“The foot injury is the biggest concern with Zander because he hasn’t been able to get treatment since suffering it during training on Monday.â€

THE travelling Dons fans are being urged to co-operate with police in Edinburgh, who are clamping down on drinking at sporting events.

All coaches will be searched for alcohol when they arrive in Edinburgh.

Fans are also banned from drinking alcohol in the streets around Tynecastle.

Dons security chief John Morgan said: “There will be no problems if the fans follow the advice given to them by the police officers and behave in a sensible manner.â€

Passionate fans away from home, a fucking morge at Pittodrie.

We have done well away from home, we are, largely, pish at home. Connection? 

I commented yesterday that we were hypocrites singing "What a shitey home support" when all you hear at Pittodrie is Oh FFS Foster/Mackie/whoever, silence, boooooos, and collective groans when someone misses a pass/makes a mistake that go around Pittodrie like a mexican wave.

So yes, highly probable there is a connection.

I commented yesterday that we were hypocrites singing "What a shitey home support" when all you hear at Pittodrie is Oh FFS Foster/Mackie/whoever, silence, boooooos, and collective groans when someone misses a pass/makes a mistake that go around Pittodrie like a mexican wave.

So yes, highly probable there is a connection.

I think that particular hypocrisy extends throughout the game.

If it makes you feel better think more of the usual standard of Jambo. Very shitey. ;)

Passionate fans away from home, a fucking morge at Pittodrie.

We have done well away from home, we are, largely, pish at home. Connection? 

Yes there must be. I blame the fans for not turning out and getting passionately behind the team. I particularly blame the fans that have given up under Milne's 12 years and who don't bother any more. It has nothing to do with the fact that EVERY person he has recruited to be in charge of "football affairs" has been a complete and utter waste of space, with varying degrees of ineffectiveness.

What about last season? Fine home form, but the atmosphere was no less shite...

Dunno man, just trying to make a bit of sense of how bad it's been.

That said I reckon we were just plain shite and managed a few battling rearguard games against pretty poor opposition and it's only now the team are playing a bit.

We just seem to be really slow starters, tectonic plate movement slow this season and I ain't saying that is ok, but it's where we finish that matters.

It has nothing to do with the fact that EVERY person he has recruited to be in charge of "football affairs" has been a complete and utter waste of space, with varying degrees of ineffectiveness.

Credit where credit is due. Milne is not a chairman with a footballing brain. He's a chairman with a construction brain who just so happens to run a football club. The fact that he fucked up so many times with his managerial selections tells you heaps about his footballing knowledge.

But then that's why he has hired two Directors Of Football in his time ... namely Willie Miller and Keith Birkenshaw. Surely it should be the job of the DoF to advise the chairman of all footballing matters that concern the board. In my view, BOTH of these DoFs have failed enormously. Milne has trusted these two men (albeit about a decade apart from each other) to look after the footballing side from a directive point of view. Both these men have fucked up.

He gave Birkenshaw the boot for doing sweet fuck all. Now I think he should really be turning the screw on Willie Miller because it is Willie who is the Director of footballing matters, not Stewart Milne.

Credit where credit is due. Milne is not a chairman with a footballing brain. He's a chairman with a construction brain who just so happens to run a football club. The fact that he fucked up so many times with his managerial selections tells you heaps about his footballing knowledge.

But then that's why he has hired two Directors Of Football in his time ... namely Willie Miller and Keith Birkenshaw. Surely it should be the job of the DoF to advise the chairman of all footballing matters that concern the board. In my view, BOTH of these DoFs have failed enormously. Milne has trusted these two men (albeit about a decade apart from each other) to look after the footballing side from a directive point of view. Both these men have fucked up.

He gave Birkenshaw the boot for doing sweet fuck all. Now I think he should really be turning the screw on Willie Miller because it is Willie who is the Director of footballing matters, not Stewart Milne.

You honestly believe Miller has failed enormously?

You honestly believe Miller has failed enormously?

enormously may be slight exaggeration in my opinion, but definitely think we're right to have expected more from Miller in current role.

Willie Miller is "Mr Aberdeen Football Club" in many peoples eyes. I'm curious as to exactly Miller does on a day to day basis to justify the six figure salary he is taking from the club..... unless there are a number of things going on in the background that we just never hear about ;)

enormously may be slight exaggeration in my opinion, but definitely think we're right to have expected more from Miller in current role.

Willie Miller is "Mr Aberdeen Football Club" in many peoples eyes. I'm curious as to exactly Miller does on a day to day basis to justify the six figure salary he is taking from the club..... unless there are a number of things going on in the background that we just never hear about ;)

I would like to think there were, although 4.5 years later, we're still waiting for one positive sign. The training ground issue and lack of young talent coming through are constant reminders that nothing seems to be getting done. I wonder if they're all biding time until 2011 and boring us to death in the process.

By the same token Al, what is he not doing to not justify his wage?