Seve - quality of squad will begin to tell

Points took precedence on performance on Saturday as Aberdeen hauled themselves off the foot of the SPL, but Dons captain Scott Severin insists he and his team-mates will get the balance right.

Lee Miller’s second half header settled a tense, nervous game between the SPL’s two bottom clubs as the Dons won at Falkirk to move to 10th in the division.

Severin, who played a key role in the win at the heart of the Dons defence, wants to spark a resurgence at his former club Hearts this weekend.

He said: “We’re delighted to get the result, even if it wasn’t our best performance of the season. We have played a lot better in the last two games and been beaten in both so I won’t complain about winning this one.

“We know the quality of the squad we have and once we start to play football I am sure we will get right back up the league.

“The criticism came our way because it was Aberdeen joint bottom of the league, but we were only six points off third place.

“We have got the victory we wanted and now we have to follow it up at Hearts where games between us are always close.

“We were not at our best, but if we can get more wins in the next couple of weeks I am sure we will be back up where I think we should be.â€

The win at the Bairns ended the club’s five-game losing streak and Severin denied the players had felt under pressure following their slump.

He insists the mood at Pittodrie has remained jovial despite the run with the confidence undiminished by recent results.

He said: “We had a few days off during the international break and this week the training has been really enjoyable.

“You wouldn’t think we were bottom of the league the way training has gone. Everyone had a laugh and joke during the week and I think that was the best way to handle the pressure.

“We have a decent record against Falkirk and if you watch the games between us in the last three seasons they have been the better team, but we have defended well and nicked a goal here and there against them, which was the case again here.

“What we are doing away from home is what other teams are doing to us at Pittodrie. Away teams sit in now and hit on the break.â€

The Aberdeen captain was involved in the foul in the closing minutes of the game which led to Bairns defender Lee Bullen being sent off and he admitted he had sympathy for the veteran.

He said: “I feel sorry for him. I was trying to help the team out and the ball broke for us. I saw Jamie Smith was in control so I made the forward run and was trying to take the pressure off.

“As soon as the ball came to me I knew I was going to cut back across Lee Bullen and he would either have to let me go or foul me. He made contact and was then told to get to the gym.â€

Does Seve ever exhibit captain-like behaviour?

I usually have bother telling fit player is fit, and am usually too far away from the pitch to hear what goes on.

From what I've seen we really need a change.

Would anyone have Seve as captain, except JC?

Who to replace him though