Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

P&J: Not pretty but Aberdeen get the win and move off bottom of table

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/894941

It was uninspiring, scrappy and downright mundane at times, but it mattered little to Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood and his players as they stopped the rot at the Falkirk Stadium on Saturday.

The Dons broke their five game losing streak with a committed display against the Bairns as they took all three points to ensure their stay at the bottom of the SPL was a short one.

There was little in the way of impressive football to speak of with the goal the sole moment of quality, although to be fair Lee Miller's header was an effort fitting to win any match.

The first half produced an awful display from the Dons with Falkirk stretching the visitors' back four on several occasions, only for a combination of desperate defending or poor delivery into the box keeping the score blank at the break.

Jackie McNamara, whose last act in an Aberdeen shirt was to race down the tunnel following his substitution in last season's Scottish Cup semi-final defeat to Queen of the South, was given the chance to attack his former club at will down the Dons left, with Neil McCann in a free role, enjoying success on the right.

John Hughes' players were helped by the Dons’ complete inability to defend the left flank in particular in the opening 45 minutes. Calderwood's decision to opt for Andy Considine in the left back position, with Richard Foster wide left of midfield, offered nothing with Considine all too often drifting into a more central defensive position which left Foster badly exposed.

Former Aberdeen forward Steve Lovell, with three goals in his three previous games for the Bairns, should have given the home side an early lead but his header from McCann's terrific cross went wide. Lovell was in on goal again when Dons captain Scott Severin seemed to lose his bearings under pressure from his former team-mate but with the ball in the back of the net, referee Willie Collum adjudged the Englishman to be guilty of fouling Severin.

Aberdeen responded with a Miller first time effort which trickled wide of goal, a penalty claim as Darren Mackie went down under a challenge from home goalkeeper Scott Flinders, and a Considine speculative 25 yard effort which went over the bar. But attacking forays from the visitors were few and far between in a woeful first half showing.

The space being given to McNamara did not go unnoticed by Calderwood and at the break, he brought on Sone Aluko for Stuart Duff.

Immediately the attacking threat of Falkirk's right back was nullified with McNamara forced to defend much more against the former Birmingham City player.

Within three minutes of the restart the substitution paid off with Aluko drifting infield with McNamara in pursuit, and the ball was played back out to Considine who delivered a terrific cross to Miller who headed the ball past goalkeeper Flinders.

Aluko should have doubled the lead when he ran clear from the halfway line but he knocked the ball too far in front of him and Flinders blocked at his feet, but with the Dons at their best on the counter, they soaked up the home pressure and Falkirk seldom looked like scoring with Lovell firing over with the Bairns’ best chance of a frustrating second half for Hughes.

It was still a nervous finish for the visitors. Their cause was helped in the closing minutes when Bairns defender Lee Bullen was red carded for a foul when last man captain Severin, the Dons’ best performer, ran on to substitute Jamie Smith's through ball.

Bullen was unfortunate to be sent off, but following a run where Calderwood has often bemoaned his side’s lack of good fortune, maybe this is a sign of better things to come. Having hauled themselves off the foot of the table and keeping their first clean sheet since August 30, the Dons have taken some pressure off themselves and their manager. One win does not show Aberdeen have turned the corner, and another result is needed at Tynecastle before supporters are convinced their side has put the dreadful recent run behind them.

Exactly what I think, we were all glad of the 3 points but this Saturday will be a sterner test of the team and that will give us a better indication of what they are made of.

That wasnt a run of unbeaten games that was a run of 9 wins at home a fantastic achievment considering how inconsistant our home form has been over the last 15 years.

The game on saturday was mince wish i had stayed in the pub - 3 points is the main thing though, same again on saturday would do - 10 men in defence and hope for some luck!

Thats how good ebbe was :) 

I honestly thought we would get humped in that game, the atmosphere was amazing that night! Thats all it takes a little belief in our own ability and stop worrying about other teams - believe that we are going to go into every game and come out on top - unfortunatly the first person who has to start this is the manager and judging by his 4-6-0 formation he has no belief in his team!

The dafties that complained about the lack of entertainment are the ones who believe we are a decent team when we play our own game - i am one of those people, theres not a team in the league that we cant beat on our day............so why do we go into negative mode the second we are starting to look good in a game......... ala celtic - they were pish, they had no answer to us coming at them, we score two are cruising then we start pulling back to defend.......which we are shite at.

I would be happy enough playing like we did on saturday and winning games.......i just wont be there to watch it!

I'd be happy to go unbeaten (mix of wins and draws) culminating of a win over the Huns at Ibrox on 22 Dec being a great Christmas present!

I think Killie at home will be the difficult one - but we'll prob beat them and then get beat by St Mirren.  None of these games should be 'difficult' though and I think we can get points from all of them.

I remember when big Ebbe pulled out that unbeaten run of home results culminating in the win over Thellic in the famous snowball game... also the 22nd dec  :o!

Celtic in January could be another snowbaw spectacular so get yer coolbags looked oot!

It's 22nd November we play the huns at Ibrox