Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

JC: I was right to let Lovell go

ee-back.jpg?1851068357

Jimmy in defence of Lovell transfer

By Charlie Allan wanker.gif

Published: 16/10/2008

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today defended his decision to allow Steve Lovell to leave.

Calderwood agrees with Falkirk manager John Hughes that Lovell – who is now in top form for the Bairns – could come back to haunt the Dons in Saturday’s SPL meeting.

But Calderwood believes he was correct to allow the striker, who was signed for £200,000 from Dundee in 2005 and scored 20 goals in 76 appearances, to quit Pittodrie in the summer on a free transfer.

Calderwood said: “My only regret is that things didn’t work out the way Steve and I hoped it would.

“I was chuffed when we signed him from Dundee because he is a quality player.

“Steve is one of the best finishers in the country and the decision to let him leave wasn’t made easily.

“I know it might come back to haunt me on Saturday, but that’s the way things can go in football.

“He has nothing to prove to me because I’m as disappointed as anyone that things didn’t go as we both wanted.

“It never happened for Steve, for various reasons, including the fact he was very unlucky with injuries.

“But he is a very dangerous striker, one of the best in Scotland when he is on his game.â€

Calderwood saw Lovell score as Falkirk lost 3-2 at Motherwell in their last match and has warned his own players their old team-mate have to snuffed out.

“It was a typical Steve goal and a reminder that he is capable of making something out of very little,†said Calderwood.

“My lads know they are going to have to work hard to make sure he doesn’t do any damage again.â€

The Dons are under pressure because they must win to haul themselves off the foot of the SPL.

But Calderwood argued that the Bairns will also be feeling the heat.

Calderwood said: “They are on the same points as us, which suggests they haven’t started the season as well as they would have liked either.â€

Jesus when I read the headline i thought it was going to be typical Jimmy, opening the mouth and letting the belly rumble but to be fair although i'd have rather kept a fit Steve Lovell (which was never going to happen, lets face it) this doesn't come across as the sort of story that's likely to rile Lovell up for Saturday.

Guest swaddon

It's always dangerous to come out with this sort of story before a game, but I hope Jimmy is proved right and Lovell doesn't score. Not least because I have 0-0 in the predictor, and a goal for Lovell would bugger that up.

It's always dangerous to come out with this sort of story before a game, but I hope Jimmy is proved right and Lovell doesn't score. Not least because I have 0-0 in the predictor, and a goal for Lovell would bugger that up.

But he hasn't came out and said Lovell won't score. He's been asked if he regrets getting rid of Lovell and he said no, but still talks about his quality. JC has done well here for a change.

Another quote this time from the herald tomorrow

Jimmy Calderwood, the Aberdeen manager, admitted last night that he is tempted to play Jamie Smith at some stage of tomorrow's bottom-of-the-table game at Falkirk as the visiting side bid to remedy the shakiest of starts to their season.

The talented playmaker, who turns 28 next month, has been no stranger to the Pittodrie treatment room since joining Aberdeen from Dutch club Den Haag over three years ago. He has now recovered from a calf muscle pain, though, and Calderwood wants more appearances and more consistency from him.

"Jamie will definitely be in the squad for the Falkirk game," Calderwood said, "and I'm tempted to play him.

Guess what will happen if you rush him back again Jimmy.............. :doh:

Guest swaddon

But he hasn't came out and said Lovell won't score. He's been asked if he regrets getting rid of Lovell and he said no, but still talks about his quality. JC has done well here for a change.

I meant he'd be proved right about letting Lovell go, and I hoped Lovell wouldn't score.

• 6 months later...