Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Just in from the game...

...and the

only plus side on the night was that neither myself nor my companion have hung ourselves (ok, that bit's debatable).

Before the match... watching the team warm up, in particular, watching the goalkeepers go through their paces. It is quite safe to say that Jim Leighton does not rate Bossu.  In all the years Jim has been our keeper coach (or even the times he was just a sub keeper) I have never seen him give basic lessons to another goalkeeper.  It was like he was coaching him for the first time. He was keeping an eye on his footwork constantly and he was never happy with it, and he could never be happy with his handling either cos he dropped so many. And then, when the players were going off the pitch, he never shook bossu's hand as he usually does with the keepers. Maybe a minor thing, but just something I noticed.

Anyway, the game...

First half:

We were cunting awful. I would say that 45 minutes alone is down there with the Steve "Pele" Paterson stuff. The "goalkeeper" was horrific, and if he ever wears a Dons shirt again I'll be avoiding hearing the scoreline for at least a week.  He was hideous at the first goal, shambolic at the second and just really shit at the fourth.  Severin was a fucking clown in Dons clothing by trying to strangle their forward in the box. How anyone could claim that wasn't a pen is beyond me.

Gary McDonald scored a good goal for us and we won a pen after a neat move. That was it really.

Second half:

Mair on for Kerr and seve into midfield. Sensible move, it did seem for a while that Langfield would come on, but I think that was shelved.  Certainly played a bit better, Seve playing better in midfield and managing to link the play now and again and Sone Aluko played very well in the second half but given no protection by the ref which was ridiculous.  Mair played well... but Zander Diamond, what the fuck were you playing at tonight? Never seen him get ripped so easily so often in a long, long time. Baffles me that with twenty mins left, and one sub left, he still never made a change... anyone?????

And Hodgkiss... in all fairness to the lad, looks as though he may be a decent footballer, but he is literally the height of shite, and as such will be beaten to every fucking ball by anyone who happens to be over 3ft8in.

In short, shambolic and I'm fucking raging, angered that an Aberdeen side can put in such a fucking inept performance and seem to care very little about it (looking at you Mr Mulgrew, in particular). And, as the fans sang at the end "You're not fit to wear the shirt",is very apt, what's more apparent is that the chants of "you don't know what you're doing!" directed towards Calderwood are far, far more accurate. 

Before the match... watching the team warm up, in particular, watching the goalkeepers go through their paces. It is quite safe to say that Jim Leighton does not rate Bossu.  In all the years Jim has been our keeper coach (or even the times he was just a sub keeper) I have never seen him give basic lessons to another goalkeeper.  It was like he was coaching him for the first time. He was keeping an eye on his footwork constantly and he was never happy with it, and he could never be happy with his handling either cos he dropped so many. And then, when the players were going off the pitch, he never shook bossu's hand as he usually does with the keepers. Maybe a minor thing, but just something I noticed.

Would Leighton have had any say in the signing of Bossu?

And Hodgkiss... in all fairness to the lad, looks as though he may be a decent footballer, but he is literally the height of shite, and as such will be beaten to every fucking ball by anyone who happens to be over 3ft8in.

The half time chat was that this guy was getting ripped apart and we would have been better off with Foster in his position 

Would Leighton have had any say in the signing of Bossu?

I know for a fact that he was asked to fire shots into him when he was taken on trial, but he was never asked to scout him and certainly wasn't overly keen that he was getting a contract and that JC was using his name to talk up Bossu.  It is safe to say he is NOT impressed, and anyone who saw the warm up would have been agreeing with old bandy.

The half time chat was that this guy was getting ripped apart and we would have been better off with Foster in his position 

Yeah, to be honest, i'd agree with that. The whole defence was so shit and i felt it harsh on this guy who was a debutant (and, let's face it, I wanted to be good so Foster wasnt picked!) but he was getting shoved off the ball easily and his man was going in behind him far too easily.  When he won the ball - which was a lot in the second half - he looked good, but i think our league, and indeed, professional football maybe beyond him unless he can bulk up like Kenny Sansom.  :(

Well cold light of day and haven't calmed down from last night...... What a fecking shambles from start to finish.

Stevie Wonder could see that Bossu is never going to make the grade as even a reasonably competent keeper. Totally incapable of actually catching a ball, and I'd have felt more comfortable with my young son who is only just over 5ft in nets than that Max Bygraves. the most scarey thought of all occured to us on the way home in the car...... imagine Clangers gets a injury ::).. ffs we'd have been better off keeping soapy as back up, or dare I say it resigning Esson.

Moving on to the back four.... fucking diabolical for the entire first half and only marginally better in the second half. Individually, Mulgrew was a major disappointment and barely kicked a ball, Zander was just fecking rotten and turned inside out all game, Seve was marginally better but what a fecking decision to try and wrestle the Killie boy to the ground...definite pen even though the ref wasn't going to give it. Hodgkiss, i actually thought was far from our worst player on the park, and actually looked as if he could play a little, but is probably too easily muscled out of it when it turns physical.

Midfield - Foster, over the piece was far from the worst player, despite getting punted about the park on numerous occassions by the master tactician. Kerr, a game to instantly forget, and believe he is a far better player than that...... actually ffs he must be better than that. McDonald, one of the few that actually looked like being up for it, and now our top scorer :o. Aluko, bit mixed in the first half, but solid performance in second half, resulting in Killie having three players on him at times, when despite this he still managed to get the ball across.... and guess what, our strike force were posted missing ::)

Miller and Mackie...... Miller as usual on his erse half the game, and the other half playing where our midfield should be instead of as a striker.... Mackie huffed and puffed to little effect. anyone notice him squaring up to the Killie player near the end of the game [ might have been the italian boy Pasquali ].

Sub: Lee Mair I thought was ok and steadied it a little when he came on, but must wonder why he didn't start the game. Deek Dung made little difference.

Thought Killie summed up everything we're not if I'm honest, hard work, passion, fight and the abiliy to knock the ball about on the deck, get forward and stick the ball in the net. Jeffries has unearthed a couple of cracking players in Tahil and Salmon.

Whilst he is a miserable, dour bastard in interviews, as opposed to the joking JC, I'm going to say I'd take Jeffries over Calderwood tomorrow as he is used to working with feck all money and just getting on with it unlike our leader.

Thank feck I'm going shopping with the missus on Sat rather than going to the Tattie Bowl

Thanks for the good summing up BigAl, but come on, things can't be that bad...

Whilst he is a miserable, dour bastard in interviews, as opposed to the joking JC, I'm going to say I'd take Jeffries over Calderwood tomorrow as he is used to working with feck all money and just getting on with it unlike our leader.

:o

ZD often plays as well as the keeper he is in front of. As a CB its always very unsettling to know you have a buffoon behind you. Not that I'm trying to excuse him.

That's exactly what I thought during last nights match.

Diamond had his worst game for the Dons in a long long time. Mair looked solid when he came on and improved the defence slightly, I think it's time for JC to swallow his pride and move Seve into midfield.

Mulgrew looked less than average for the 3rd game running, and Kerr simply wasn't at the races.

I could go on but I really can't be arsed, a performance to forget.

Samon is just that a bloody salmon. He is a crap footballer which our shocking and inept defence made look like a footballer. He has a worst first touch than Mackie but he has a bit of strength to put defenders under pressure.

That lad wont score an easier two goals or play against a more unorganised defence or a worse goalkeeper in his entire career, even if Killie are drawn against Spartans at home in the Scottish Cup!

Guest fatshaft

I know for a fact that he was asked to fire shots into him when he was taken on trial, but he was never asked to scout him and certainly wasn't overly keen that he was getting a contract and that JC was using his name to talk up Bossu.  It is safe to say he is NOT impressed, and anyone who saw the warm up would have been agreeing with old bandy.

I'v heard a whisper that it was similar with Clangers, first our goalkeeping coach knew of it was when the papers were signed. You know anything of that too?

Thanks for the good summing up BigAl, but come on, things can't be that bad...

:o

Disagree with that, jeffries knows the scottish game inside out, consistently finds good buys from lower leagues, knows how to develop players from his youth system, is tactically very astute and doesnt gob off in the press pointlessy.  In fact thinking about it jeffries is clearly the anti calderwood.  If calderwood does go (dont think he will though) i would want jeffries, mcghee or black..... in that order

I'v heard a whisper that it was similar with Clangers, first our goalkeeping coach knew of it was when the papers were signed. You know anything of that too?

Sorry, FS, only just seen this post.

Yeah, I know of this too. I believe it's called "shifting the blame".  I love Jim Leighton (there, I've said it) and I have little time for Sandy Clark (that probably didn't need saying), but as goalkeeper and strikers coach respectively, if they're given shit to work with, the outcome is unlikely to exceed shit by very much, ye know?

Sorry, FS, only just seen this post.

Yeah, I know of this too. I believe it's called "shifting the blame".  I love Jim Leighton (there, I've said it) and I have little time for Sandy Clark (that probably didn't need saying), but as goalkeeper and strikers coach respectively, if they're given shit to work with, the outcome is unlikely to exceed shit by very much, ye know?

The question therefore has to be WHY didn't Leighton have any input into the signing of a new Goalkeeper? Am I right in thinking he works with the Scottish Under 21s? He must be able to see some decent up and coming keepers that we could afford.

The question therefore has to be WHY didn't Leighton have any input into the signing of a new Goalkeeper? Am I right in thinking he works with the Under 21s? He must be able to see some decent up and coming keepers that we could afford.

Its very unlikely Leighton has nothing to do with the signing of goalkeepers at Pittodrie.

I love Jim Leighton ... but as goalkeeper coach, if given shit to work with, the outcome is unlikely to exceed shit by very much, ye know?

I'm with you there, BB. When Preece arrived, he was a crock of shit. When he left, many of us had warmed to him because he developed into a handy keeper. When Clangfield arrived, NONE of us were happy. Yet, a couple of years on and he produced one of the best goalkeeping displays we've seen from an Aberdeen goalkeeper for many a moon to keep Dnipro at bay.

There's no doubt that he's been given absolute shite to work with over the years. However, Bandy Jim has managed to polish a few turds along the way ... given time.

Sandy, though? He's done fuckall. I'd rather see someone like Scott Booth, Duncan Shearer or Craig Brewster hired as a striker coach

Sandy, though? He's done fuckall. I'd rather see someone like Scott Booth, Duncan Shearer or Craig Brewster hired as a striker coach

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :evilbat::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

S[ot on min!

I'm with you there, BB. When Preece arrived, he was a crock of shit. When he left, many of us had warmed to him because he developed into a handy keeper. When Clangfield arrived, NONE of us were happy. Yet, a couple of years on and he produced one of the best goalkeeping displays we've seen from an Aberdeen goalkeeper for many a moon to keep Dnipro at bay.

There's no doubt that he's been given absolute shite to work with over the years. However, Bandy Jim has managed to polish a few turds along the way ... given time.

Spot on 100%.

Just me that thinks Jimbo hasn’t done anything of note then?  Perhaps he’s good at putting them through their paces and keeping them fit but none of the (quite frankly – shite) ‘keepers mentioned have improved with time.

My memory (surprisingly) isn’t as bad as some of yours as I still remember Preece being absolutely shocking with pass backs.  In fact he made Langfield look like Johnnie Wilkinson.  So that’s 2 ‘keepers there that can’t kick a ball properly being coached by someone who struggled as soon as the pass back rule came into play.

Preece was a good shot stopper but he was glued to that line and never commanded his area.  Langfield makes the same errors week in, week out and Esson was letting corner kicks sail over his head into the net…….. twice………. in the same game…….. more than once.

Peter Kjaer reminded us how a good it was to have a proper ‘keeper at the club.  If Jimbo was such a good goalkeeping coach then why aren’t there any young loons knocking at the managers door for a game?

Common sense says that a little trip out to Poland and picked up some bruiser to mind our nets would be the sensible thing.  Wages surely wouldn’t be a problem?  They should find it easy enough to settle in the city and make themselves a local hero with the new population flooding in and there’s a few thousand more barmen / plasterers / joiners through the gates each week right there which will also benefit the club.

Then again; Common Sense + Goalkeeping does not = Aberdeen Football Club.