Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McDonald a man with a mission

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/852895

ABERDEEN PLAYER AIMS TO SILENCE KILMARNOCK SUPPORTERS AND CRITICS OF THE DONS TONIGHT

Older, wiser and with a burning desire to win the League Cup. Aberdeen midfielder Gary McDonald will walk back through the front door at Rugby Park tonight with a twin mission.

McDonald will be aiming to silence the supporters of his local team and the critics of the Dons in one fell swoop.

The 26-year-old grew up in Kilwinning, just 10 miles from Rugby Park, and his first job on leaving school in Ayrshire was as a trainee professional with Killie.

He spent seven years with the Rugby Park side and made more than 100 first-team appearances.

Sentiment will be set aside tonight as he arrives in the red of his new club bidding for a place in the fourth round of the cup.

He said: “I hope I’ll be well received after my time there. Some of the other players I played alongside are still at the club and I keep in touch. It’s a very good club for bringing through young players and manager Jim Jefferies has done well for the club.

“Awarding new contracts to Jim and Billy Brown brings stability to the club. I liked working with them. Bobby Williamson was the manager when I signed, but almost as soon as Jim and Billy took over they gave me my first start and a new contract.â€

McDonald left for Oldham in 2006 but this summer found himself back in the SPL with Aberdeen and facing the prospect of lining up against the team he made his name with.

Charged with replacing the creative spark Barry Nicholson once provided in the Dons midfield, McDonald has shown glimpses of the attacking threat he can pose to the opposition this season. His only goal of the campaign came against Hamilton but he intends to quickly add to his haul.

He said: “I feel my form is getting better with every game. I missed one or two good chances against Dundee United at the weekend – if I’d taken even one of them it would have been an entirely different game. Sometimes the ball just doesn’t fall for you but the manager wants me to keep getting into the box and that is what I will continue to do.â€

McDonald, more than most, knows tonight’s opponents cannot be underestimated but is confident Aberdeen can put their home troubles behind them and return with a victory from their latest road trip.

He said: “Winning a cup is the aim at the outset of every season but you need a bit of luck. If we beat Kilmarnock, we could be just a couple of games away from where we want to be.

“Hopefully, it will be an open game. Kilmarnock have exciting players going forward, so we’ll have to defend well first and foremost.

“I don’t know if it’s better to be playing this tie away from home but our record on the road is certainly better.

“Our last two home games have not been good at all but we can go there confident of doing well because of our 100% away record this season.â€

I missed one or two good chances against Dundee United

Try three, mate!

Sometimes the ball just doesn’t fall for you

True. But all three of those chances you ballooned miles over the bar. Doing it once in a match is easy to do. Doing it a second time, we might forgive you. A third time? You're just taking the piss!! I wouldn't mind if ONE of those shots actually hit the target. Not even scored ... just hit the target so the keeper actually had to do some work.

To be fair, he did score, and is now somehow our top scorer.  :o

That is more a reflection on the rest of our team than this guys ability. McDonald is at best a journey man pro and not the standard of player AFC should have been signing if they wanted to progress.