Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Q&A with Aluko

Great to pull on red shirt again

Aluko raring to go at Bellslea tonight

By Andrew Moir

Published: 08/09/2008

SONE Aluko’s second coming for Aberdeen kicks-off at Fraserburgh tonight in Derek Milne’s testimonial.

The 19-year-old will pull on the red jersey again after Jimmy Calderwood’s dramatic deadline busting transfer.

So just what does the England youth cap know about Bellslea Park?

And is the wing king excited about his surprise return north.

Q You’ll make your debut against Fraserburgh tonight. Do you know anything about them?

A To be honest it’ll be a trip into the unknown for me, but I’m just looking forward to pulling on an Aberdeen strip again.

It’s nice that my first game back is a testimonial and I’m not thrown back into a competitive match.

I haven’t played in more than a week, so this will provide me with a chance to rediscover my sharpness.

I’ll also get the opportunity to see what the new players are like as well.

Hopefully, there will be a big turnout as it’s always a boost to play in front of a large crowd.

Q Did it just not work out for you at Blackpool on loan?

A I just couldn’t get my head round going out on loan again.

It was nice down at Blackpool but I was after something more permanent.

I’m pleased to be given this opportunity to come back to Aberdeen and knew they were interested throughout the summer.

I kept in contact with Jimmy Calderwood throughout the close season and our close relationship has paid off.

Q Calderwood paid a £50,000 transfer fee for you so he’s shown some faith in your ability. How are you planning to repay him?

A It’s not for me to discuss the exact fee, but even if Aberdeen paid a few pounds for me it shows how keen they were to bring me back.

I need to show my best form right from the start – that’s the only way I can pay the manager back.

I’ll play anywhere for him. Even if that means in a wide midfield role or up front.

He sees me more as a wide player and I’m looking for a regular run in the team.

But there are other players here who won’t want to let me take their place.

Q Would you like a reunion with Josh Walker after you both did so well on loan at Aberdeen last season?

A I speak to Josh a lot and he’s on the fringes of the first team at Middlesbrough, so he’s going to stay there.

But at our age you just want to play and I m sure doors will open for him wherever he goes.

We linked up well because we’ve been playing together for a number of years in England youth teams.

Q Have you returned to the Scottish Premier League as a better player this season?

A Every game last season was a learning curve and I’m planning to build on that this time.

There will be no surprises for me in terms of visiting different stadiums or playing against certain players.

I know more about my opponents and feel better equipped to play in Scotland now.

Q The UEFA Cup match against Bayern Munich was a real highlight of your loan spell. What can you remember about it?

A I can’t recall an awful lot about the game.

I remember scoring and thinking at half-time they were there for the taking. It was disappointing in the end to draw with Bayern but it was still a fantastic effort.

Q Do you think Aberdeen have a chance of winning silverware this season?

A Every year we should be challenging to win something as it’s such a big club. We lost two semi-finals last year so we have real reasons to reach a final this time.

Q Do you think Aberdeen have a chance of winning silverware this season?

A Every year we should be challenging to win something as it’s such a big club. We lost two semi-finals last year so we have real reasons to reach a final this time.

Well said that man. 

Now if JC, WM and SM would just share the same attitude, but no doubt they would say that those are unrealistic expectations that belong in the 80s

Well said that man. 

Now if JC, WM and SM would just share the same attitude, but no doubt they would say that those are unrealistic expectations that belong in the 80s

He always comes across as a realistic and fairly intelligent guy. Hopefully he can kick on a bit and be more consistent this season, but it's great that he sees us as a big club...and not just a stepping stone to something else.