Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jimmy: Refs are picking on Dons!

Calderwood blasts referee

By Charlie Allan

Published: 01/09/2008

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today accused referee Willie Collum of picking on strike duo Lee Miller and Tommy Wright.

Calderwood expressed concern over the way Collum treated the Aberdeen pair during their 1-0 SPL win over St Mirren at Love Street.

Miller was booked by Collum for diving, despite television evidence proving he should have won a penalty after being hauled down by St Mirren substitute Scott Cuthbert.

The Dons are concerned match officials could be singling out Miller because some newspapers have claimed he has gone down easily when challenged in the past.

Calderwood said: “I didn’t see the incident clearly at the time, but Lee is adamant it was a penalty.

“Lee is a big, honest lad, so I’m backing him all the way.

“He had gone past the St Mirren player and had a chance to shoot at goal, so why would he go down?

“The referee saw it differently, which was strange.

“I hope the referees aren’t being influenced by some of the unfair stuff that has been written about Lee in some newspapers.

“He takes the knocks and does well to get himself into good scoring positions.

“If it’s a penalty, it’s a penalty. Referees should be looking at what has happened at that specific moment.â€

Calderwood is also upset that Collum chose to award a foul against substitute Wright after what appeared to be a fair challenge on Buddies defender Jack Ross.

Collum also lectured Wright at length.

Calderwood said: “Tommy came on and did nothing wrong, yet the referee felt the need to have a word with him.

“All he did was what managers want forwards to do – get their body in to put defenders off their stride.

“I was astonished the referee gave a free-kick against him.

“It’s sad and I am worried the officials have been reading the papers about him as well.

“He is being treated very harshly, even though Tommy has been told to stay out of trouble and do his best not to upset referees.â€

The Dons received an injury boost in the wake of the win at Love Street.

Teenage winger Peter Pawlett made a quicker than expected recovery after suffering a broken wrist.

Pawlett was expected to be out for two months, but played in the youth side’s 3-1 defeat by Rangers.

Was on his way down when he landed on the boys leg

I can only go by what the papers say and what my mates told me, most seem to think it was a stonewall penalty.  The Dons won in the end and that's all that matters really.

Whether it was a penalty or not does not matter as Aberdeen won the game anyway and hopefully this will have taught Miller a lesson.  He's been falling over too easily trying to get fouls for ages now and it's pretty poor.  He's a decent sized lad a might be better off trying to keep his feet and ruffle up a few defenders.

Whether it was a penalty or not does not matter as Aberdeen won the game anyway and hopefully this will have taught Miller a lesson.  He's been falling over too easily trying to get fouls for ages now and it's pretty poor.  He's a decent sized lad a might be better off trying to keep his feet and ruffle up a few defenders.

I'd agree with that. Having watched it, I do think it was a penalty, the defender was a mess and was all over the place. It would appear that Miller's theatrical past has caught up with him. Hopefully he'll learn how to disguise any future dives better  :thumbsup:

Was a good one in the first half when the ball got put up towards Miller and the defender climbs all over the back of him, referee does that we thing with his arms as if to say yes the defender was climbing on your back, yet he still waved play on!!

Was a shocker of a display from the ref and the linesman nearest our end.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7590901.stm

3.48 in

Seen them given both ways.  :-\

Miller's cleverly beaten Cuthbert and went back across the path of his run, as any good striker would, in the hope that they'll either 1) foul him or 2) hold off their run to stop them fouling him.  Cuthbert clearly puts his hand onto the back of Miller who then leans into the run and the tangle takes place. 

As soon as Miller managed to get past him, and into the path of his run, Cuthbert has to hold off.  If he continues, which he did, the chances are that he'll take Miller down.

The reaction of Cuthbert says it all for me.  He instantly looks up at the ref and you can see the relief on his face when he realises he's gotten away with it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7590901.stm

3.48 in

Seen them given both ways.  :-\

Miller's cleverly beaten Cuthbert and went back across the path of his run, as any good striker would, in the hope that they'll either 1) foul him or 2) hold off their run to stop them fouling him.  Cuthbert clearly puts his hand onto the back of Miller who then leans into the run and the tangle takes place. 

As soon as Miller managed to get past him, and into the path of his run, Cuthbert has to hold off.  If he continues, which he did, the chances are that he'll take Miller down.

The reaction of Cuthbert says it all for me.  He instantly looks up at the ref and you can see the relief on his face when he realises he's gotten away with it.

Exactly how I saw it. Could have gone either way. Personally I think the boy cut across Miller and took him out (although it does look like Miller may have done the cutting across in fairness). Miller made a meal of it and this was his undoing. Move on.

I don't think that refs are picking on us. Just that they are either - shit and are unsure of what they are meant to do in those situations, or they are aware of how much the spotlight is on them and are to scared to give a decision which may be seen a controversial.