Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Jamie Smith wants to got to South Africa

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/798614

DONS winger Jamie Smith aims to use the Rangers game to boost his hopes of fulfilling his World Cup dream.

Scotland assistant boss Terry Butcher will be at tomorrow’s SPL clash at Pittodrie running the rule over the Reds ahead of next month’s World Cup qualifiers against Macedonia and Iceland.

It’s five years since Smith won the last of the two Scotland caps he has earned so far.

Both came in friendly matches, against the Republic of Ireland and Austria.

The 27-year-old hopes to impress Butcher enough to earn a crack at playing for his country.

Smith said: “If you do well against Rangers there is more chance of getting called up by Scotland.

“I would love to be involved with the national team again, especially with the World Cup qualifying about to start.

“The pinnacle for athletes is to be out in China at the moment involved in the Olympics.

“The peak for footballers is to make it into a squad at the World Cup.

“It would be great to be involved in something like that, but I won’t be if I don’t perform well for Aberdeen.â€

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood claimed their chances of victory will be higher if Smith turns it on.

The former Celtic ace said: “It’s flattering when the manager says things like that. It’s a bit of added pressure but I can handle that.

“I was annoyed with myself for the way I played in the opening game of the season. I want to do better than that tomorrow.â€

For 'If you do well against Rangers there is more chance of getting called up by Scotland' read 'I fucking love getting it up these hun bastards but I have to say something less inflammatory in the press don't I' ???

GET IN THERE JAMIE  ;D

“I was annoyed with myself for the way I played in the opening game of the season. I want to do better than that tomorrow.â€

Rangers travel north looking to make it three wins out of three in the SPL.

But the Dons have lost just one of the last six meetings at Pittodrie and Smith is sure they can make it tough for the Light Blues again.

He said: “We have a decent record against them here in recent years, so we have nothing to fear.

“Our performance will have to be a lot better than the ones we delivered in the first two games.

“But Rangers games have an atmosphere all of their own and we are determined to respond for our supporters.â€

I was a tad annoyed at you too Jamie. You are sure to do better tomorrow as it couldn't be worse.

No shit Sherlock!

Let's hope you do as even the die hards have about had enough.

Kelt

We havent had any players worth a cap for a long time, Anderson was always injured and Seve had one good season but his legs are gone (Scotland also have a heap of centre mids).

If Foster plays 2 good games in a row some boys on here will be shouting for a call up for him.

and Maradona wouldnt get a game for jimmy never mind scotland