Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mulgrew Injured?

Panic over hopefully:

"Northsound Sport can tell you Aberdeen defender Charlie Mulgrew suffered an injury scare playing for the Scotland under 21's in Lithuania on Wednesday. The young Scots won the European Championship qualifying match 3-0 with Dons defender Andrew Considine also in the team. Mulgrew was stretchered off after 25-minutes following a nasty clash of heads. However he recovered and watched the rest of the match from the stand"

Five stitches after Dons ace Mulgrew carried off

Published: 21/08/2008

ABERDEEN defender Charlie Mulgrew will be examined by Pittodrie medical staff this morning after suffering a head injury in the Scotland under-21 side’s 3-0 win in Lithuania yesterday.

The Dons defender was stretchered off and required five stitches to close a cut above an eye following a clash of heads in the 28th minute.

Mulgrew played no further part in the Uefa under-21 championship qualifier which the Scots won courtesy of goals from Scott Arfield, Ross McCormack and Kevin McDonald.

Billy Stark’s side moves up to second in Group 6 on goal difference, two points behind leaders Finland. Scotland have now won four straight qualifiers and have two games left to secure their place in the play-offs.

Falkirk midfielder Arfield opened the scoring with a header in four minutes after a cross from McDonald. McCormack doubled Scotland’s lead in the 39th minute with a fine individual goal and Scotland made the game safe on the hour mark after a goalkeeping fumble gifted the chance to McDonald.

Jimmy was in the Metro lambasting the SFA and calling them amateurs for making the pair come back so late after the game (last night).

Jsut posted that in another thread.  30 hours of travelling on scheduled flights for the U21s as no charter hired and landed back (in Glasgow) at 10 last night.  A full day of travelling then had to get back up from Glasgow late at night so home in early hours and up early to get looked at by AFC medical staff this morning for first time since injury.  Can't imagine Considine will be in any fit state to train today either!!

immy hits out at plane-crazy SFA

dons boss brands under-21 travel plans amateurish after it takes injured reds 30 hours to return

By paul third

Published: 22/08/2008

Aberdeen’s frustration at not being able to assess the extent of defender Charlie Mulgrew’s head injury yesterday has been compounded by an injury to captain Scott Severin ahead of the visit of Rangers in the SPL tomorrow.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood was critical of SFA travel arrangements after Mulgrew did not return to Aberdeen until late last night – more than 24 hours after the Scotland under-21 side’s 3-0 win in the European championship qualifier match in Lithuania. The former Wolves defender lasted less than half-an-hour as he was stretchered off with a head knock which required five stitches, but he cannot be assessed until this morning due to his late return.

With centre back Zander Diamond already ruled out of the game and captain Severin also struggling, Aberdeen could be facing something of a defensive crisis.

Calderwood said: “Seve took some studs on his foot in training last week and he struggled through the Motherwell game. He hasn’t trained a lot this week as I can see him grimacing when he tries to kick the ball, but hopefully he will be back.

“Charlie is a massive doubt, Zander is definitely out and Tommy Wright is a doubt with a thigh injury.

“It means we could have three of our back four missing against Rangers which is a worry, but it is still 11 against 11 and we will just have to get on with it.â€

Andrew Considine, who was also on Scotland under-21 duty, also made his return to the Granite City last night.

Calderwood was critical of the travel arrangements. He said: “Our physio David Wylie is with the under-21s, which is a help, but the annoying thing for me is how long it is taking to get the players back. In this day and age, to not be back until 30 hours after a game is not good enough.

“Andy is late back too and it means we can’t do any of our technical preparation, which is what we normally do on a Thursday.

“I can’t understand why the SFA couldn’t just hire a charter flight and I haven’t bothered asking why they won’t be back as it doesn’t change anything. I just hope they learn from it for the future. I want my players to play for the country and I am proud when they are selected.

“I won’t make a complaint but I can’t see any reason for this other than finance and this wouldn’t have happened if we had a charter flight. It’s amateur stuff really.â€

While their England counterparts travel in chartered airplanes to every away under-21 match, the Scottish players are forced to wait at airports throughout Europe while representing their country.

Rob Shorthouse, head of communications at the SFA, insisted the association has always used scheduled flights for the under-21 squad. He said: “The SFA don’t charter flights for the under-21s and I would be amazed if any association did.

“As we were using a scheduled flight, there was no direct flight from Scotland to Lithuania.

“We had to decide whether to fly the team back to London late after the game and then travel up or let them relax after the game.

“The decision was made to ensure the players were fed, watered and rested before travelling back.â€

but it is still 11 against 11 and we will just have to get on with it

Wanna bet, Jimmy? Remember, you let half the team go at the end of last season. But you only replaced half of them. And you've STILL not replaced the right-back you sold in January or the centre-half you lost last summer.

Wanna bet, Jimmy? Remember, you let half the team go at the end of last season. But you only replaced half of them. And you've STILL not replaced the right-back you sold in January or the centre-half you lost last summer.

So are we only starting with 9? Are they getting to play with 12 or 13?

So it is 11 v 11 then....

Craig Thomson will make it 12 v 11 and assistant bottling it in front of the minks will no doubt make it 13 v 11

I'm not convinced thats what he was getting at though  :thumbsup:

Nobody else think, after the stick the refs have been getting for fucking up in games against the old firm and that meeting this week, that this might be a good weekend to be playing one of them as far as referees trying to be honest goes?