Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Anderson leaving Sunderland

Anderson heading for Black Cats exit

But he’s not coming to Aberdeen

EXCLUSIVE

By Andrew Moir

Published: 20/08/2008

FORMER Aberdeen captain Russell Anderson is at the centre of a transfer triangle as his Sunderland career looks over.

Defender Anderson missed out on a place in the Scotland squad for tonight's friendly against Northern Ireland at Hampden due to lack of match action for the Black Cats.

Championship clubs Plymouth Argyle and Burnley are ready to battle it out with sleeping giants Leeds United in a bid to land Anderson before the transfer window slams slut (the EE should really check their spelling) on Monday week.

And the 29-year-old is keen to pursue his career in England finally killing off speculation of a dramatic return to Pittodrie on loan.

Anderson’s dream £1million transfer to Roy Keane’s team has turned sour after just 12 months south of the border.

But he’s ready to cut his losses at the Stadium of Light as he looks to revitalise his career following a frustrating year in the Premier League.

Anderson enjoyed a successful loan spell at Paul Sturrock’s Plymouth last season and Luggy is keen to lure him back to Home Park.

However, Sturrock can’t afford to meet the demands of Sunderland as they are looking to claw back the transfer fee they paid Aberdeen.

The Pilgrims boss is only offering a season-long loan-deal but the Aberdonian is keen to remain in the North-east of England as his family have settled well in the area.

Burnley boss Owen Coyle is also interested in Anderson as he looks to shore up his Clarets’ defence which has leaked seven goals in their opening two league fixtures.

Gary McAllister’s Leeds United have also expressed an interest in the defender who could be tempted by a move to Elland Road.

Guest swaddon

Even more reason to hate Sunderland. I hope he gets a move somewhere else soon, he's a great player, it's just a pity Roy Keane can't see it, but what does he know about football anyway?

He'd probably still get paid 2-3 times as much as we could pay, and Leeds are a much, much bigger club than Aberdeen.

Correct, but the standard of football is pish... my flatmate is a carlisle fan & with exceptions, the few games I've seen aint been pretty.  That they can afford to pay 3x wages & splash out large transfer fees with relative easy is pretty annoying, but i guess thats sky for you.

As an side & not really wanting to get into this debate, of the league 1 teams I'd say probably only leeds, & leicester are bigger clubs.

Correct, but the standard of football is pish.

Absolutely agree, but at Anderson's age all he'll be concerned about is playing regular football, increasing his chances of a Scotland recall, and getting paid handsomely for it.

That they can afford to pay 3x wages & splash out large transfer fees with relative easy is pretty annoying, but i guess thats sky for you.

It is bloody frustrating, oh how Roger Mitchell's got a lot to answer for.

As an side & not really wanting to get into this debate, of the league 1 teams I'd say probably only leeds, & leicester are bigger clubs.

I was fishing with the second part of my post, are Leeds really a bigger club than us?  Likewise Leicester?  I really don't know...

I was fishing with the second part of my post, are Leeds really a bigger club than us?  Likewise Leicester?  I really don't know...

Will they get into Europe this year? They're playing in the dregs of English football? Money talks though so there is no chance of him returning to us. He'll end up being passed from pillar to post and eventually return to Killie or Falkirk in 2-3 years time.

Absolutely agree, but at Anderson's age all he'll be concerned about is playing regular football, increasing his chances of a Scotland recall, and getting paid handsomely for it.

Aye, but would you want a potential scotland defender playing against league 1 strikers? I'd have thought that would have worsened his chances (although they'd still be better that if he were at the dons..).  He would have a far better test of his abilities playing regular football in the championship IMO - athough, on the basis of sunderlands defence last season, he should aleast have been given a chance there.  

Aye, but would you want a potential scotland defender playing against league 1 strikers?

No, I wouldn't.

All Anderson is concerned about is the points I raised above.  I'm not really bothered either way what he does, would've loved to see him do well but I think he's found his level in England.  Don't think we'll ever really know what could've been because of his injuries down there.

Guest swaddon

Nah, he'll never return to an SPL club that's not Aberdeen. So yeah, pretty high chance of seeing him play for Killie or Falkirk then  :P

Or Hearts.