Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Young dons hammer ICT counterparts

Aberdeen U19s 6 Inverness CT U19s 1

Carroll 26, 60 McRobbie 36 Ross 47 Meggieson 52 Pawlett 64 ; Ross 50

Aberdeen U19s started the Clydesdale Bank U19 Youth League in fine style on Saturday at Balgownie. They beat their Inverness CT counterparts 6-1 in an entertaining match.

Inverness started the game brightly and had a few half chances. It was therefore slightly against the run of play when Gary Carroll won Aberdeen a penalty after 26 minutes. Gary got up and took it himself, coolly putting the ball into the net.On 36 minutes Carroll set up McRobbie who finished well to make it 2-0 at half time.

At the break Stephen O'Donnell was injured and substituted. He was replaced by Fraser Fyvie.

Shortly after the break a Low corner was headed home by Scott Ross to make the three. At that stage the game looked safe but credit to the visitors who came back and scored through Park after 50 minutes from the penalty spot. The three goal advantage was restored almost immediately. Bolger setting up Meggieson. From then on Aberdeen controlled the game and played some good football. Fyvie in the middle of the park once again caught the eye.

On the hour mark Carroll got his second, Pawlett with the assist then four minutes later Pawlett himself got on the score sheet after Nicky Calrk played him through.

Neil Cooper was a happy man after the game. "The boys did very well on Saturday. It is an encouraging start to the season. I thought we did not play that well in the first half but after the break I thought we got the ball down, passed it and played some great football. We have a very young team but it is encouraging to see the way they battled. I keep stressing to them the physical side of the game is important as you need to compete at this level. Even in the pre-season games when they were playing against guys a lot older and stronger they were able to match them physically."

There was some disappointing news today though. During the game Peter Pawlett landed awkwardly on his hand after about an hour, and although he was able to continue playing, and score his goal, he had to have his right wrist put in plaster over the weekend. The midfielder could be out for up to 8 weeks. It is a big blow for young Peter who has already been involved with the first team this season.

Team: Bain, O'Donnell (Fyvie 45), Stir Smith, Pawlett, Crawford, Ross, Carrol, Clark, McRobbie, Meggieson (Bolger 62), Low (Gallacher 71) subs Cassidy, Fowlie, Masson

And since we are talking about the under19 team

FAROE TALE

AFC made history today by signing their first ever players from the Faroe Islands.

Gilli Sorensen and Hallur Hansson have joined the Dons U19 side from Faroese team HB Torshavn. Both players are 16 years old, part of the International set up and have signed two year deals. Sorensen is a striker and Hansson in a midfielder. A third Faroese players, Rogvi Holm could also be joining the Dons. The centre half is on trial and training this week.

Head of Youth Development Lenny Taylor explains how the deals came about "The link with the Faroe Islands started two years ago when they had a team over at the Aberdeen International Football Festival. We were very impressed with the standard and two players in particular caught the eye. One of them was Gilli Sorensen.

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/5a/5a/0,,10284~3758682,00.jpg[/img]

Promising signs. I heard we are going to have one of the youngest u19 teams in the league this season, so it will be interesting to see how they get on.

Got to say though, that is the worst match report I have ever read! You'd almost think the person who wrote it wasnt actually at the game............... ::)

After reading over the years about all these proposed 'link ups' across the world from Africa to the US I'm delighted that the Dons have finally nailed down a relationship that will feed our club with the best talent from a great footballing nation. Well done Aberdeen.  :thumbsup:

After reading over the years about all these proposed 'link ups' across the world from Africa to the US I'm delighted that the Dons have finally nailed down a relationship that will feed our club with the best talent from a great footballing nation. Well done Aberdeen.  :thumbsup:

Haha. I've actually been impressed with Faroese (sp) teams whenever I have seen them in action. They produce some decent players for a nation that has a population that is similar to the size of Inverness.

how can it be that when we released youngsters at he end of the season jimmy was slated for failing to give youth a chance and now that he is bringing youngsters to the club he is still being slated?  The faroes might not be a great footballing nation but that does,nt mean that there will never be any decent players that may come from there if given the chance.

how can it be that when we released youngsters at he end of the season jimmy was slated for failing to give youth a chance and now that he is bringing youngsters to the club he is still being slated?  The faroes might not be a great footballing nation but that does,nt mean that there will never be any decent players that may come from there if given the chance.

Who's slating him?