Zander out for Huns game ?

Aberdeen defender Zander Diamond is a major injury doubt for this weekend’s visit of Rangers after limping off the pitch with a thigh strain during the Dons’ 1-0 victory at Motherwell.

The 23-year-old centre back missed a sizeable portion of pre-season after suffering a recurrence of a foot injury and was on the bench for the opening match of the season against Caley Thistle.

He returned to the starting line-up at Fir Park on Saturday, surprisingly playing at right back, but was forced to go off early after collapsing with another injury.

Diamond will be assessed at Pittodrie today but is struggling to be fit for the Light Blues match, although attacker Jamie Smith is expected to be available.

Smith fell ill at the team hotel but manager Jimmy Calderwood expects the attacker to return this weekend. However, Calderwood is less optimistic about Diamond.

Calderwood said: “I think Jamie will be all right but if Zander has a strain he might not be. I know we have Rangers but the form of Andrew Considine and Scott Severin is very encouraging. I thought those two were excellent at Motherwell and they had to be.

“Apparently Zander felt it on Friday but he never said anything. If I had known that I would not have left Lee Mair back in Aberdeen. With Lee not here the last thing we wanted was to lose a centre half, but it is a lesson learned.â€

Dons forward Tommy Wright has warned SPL defenders he will not be tamed after making an explosive debut.

The former Darlington targetman came off the bench for the final 20 minutes at Fir Park and went close to scoring, was involved in an altercation with Motherwell captain Stephen Craigan and then was booked for a wild lunge on Steven Hammell. The robust display helped Aberdeen earn the late victory and instantly endeared Wright to the Reds fans.

Wright clashed with Craigan and was accused of aiming a butt, but the forward played down the confrontation and vowed to continue his tough style.

He said: “It was just a bit of handbags really. It was a nothing thing as far as I am concerned and we shook hands at the end. The bookings ratio is not something I am proud of but the way that I play I will pick up yellow cards. I don’t want to get them every week but I won’t tone down the way I play.

“I do not think I am as effective if I change. I like to put myself around, get in faces and annoy people.

“I tried to tone it down at Darlington last season and I ended up going off the boil for a while, so I am not going to change. I always have been a physical player and the manager must have liked what he saw to bring me to Aberdeen. I have never been intimidated by anyone. If I did then my dad would have given me a slap.

“That is the way I have been brought up. I never shy away from that side of the game and if I annoy people on the way then so be it.

“Obviously, I don’t want to get on the wrong side of referees but if I get booked then it is my responsibility.â€

Wright was delighted the Dons emerged with all three points thanks to Charlie Mulgrew’s 87th-minute long-range free kick.

“Apparently Zander felt it on Friday but he never said anything. If I had known that I would not have left Lee Mair back in Aberdeen. With Lee not here the last thing we wanted was to lose a centre half, but it is a lesson learned.â€

This statement worries me on so many levels.

1. Injured player not telling the boss, particularly after just returning from injury  :o

2. Manager talking about losing a CB when he had actually played him at RB in the game  :o

3. ...............Do I really need to say  ???

Number 1 happens all the time no matter what the level of football.

If you've been out injured with a completely unrelated injury and are desperate to get back playing but feel a wee twinge the day before, you hope that its going to be ok. If on the Saturday its the same or worse and you think you'll struggle then you should tell the boss. In this case its just because he wants to be playing for us so not going to hold it against him.

Seems there would be doubt about that k-9.

Shunted to RB when he was fit kinda implies as much.

JC said today the only reason Zander was in at right back was because he felt we needed height along the back line to deal with the expected long diagonals from Motherwell. I wouldnt take Diamond being at RB on sasturday as an indication of his long term propects. Hopefully we'll see him line up at CB alongside Conso on saturday