Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Wright’s ready for Well test

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/783923

Wright’s ready for Well test

Seve backs new striker against Steelmen

By Andrew Moir

Published: 15/08/2008

CASE FOR THE DEFENCE: Seve is happy to continue his new role at the back for Aberdeen.

More Pictures

ABERDEEN captain Scott Severin reckons Tommy Wright will lift the Pittodrie gloom by shooting down Motherwell tomorrow.

The new Dons striker is now vying for a starting slot at Fir Park after making his debut for the Reds reserves earlier this week.

Severin is convinced Wright’s arrival will provide the perfect tonic for his shell-shocked troops after the opening day defeat to Inverness Caley Thistle.

“Tommy has looked very sharp in training,†said Severin.

“He’s a strong lad and we’ll be looking for him to hold the ball up against Motherwell if he’s given a chance.

“Tommy also has goals in him and he’ll provide us with another option in attack which is always welcome.

“We have been depending on Lee Miller a bit too much in recent times so it’s nice to have an alternative.

“Tommy is the type of player who can change games and his arrival has given everyone a big lift.â€

Skipper Severin controversially started the Caley clash in defence and is prepared for an extended spell at the back.

But after the Highlanders found the net twice at Pittodrie Jimmy Calderwood could tinker with his back four tomorrow.

He added: “I’m happy enough to play in defence if that’s what the manager thinks is best for the team.

“I played the majority of the pre-season games alongside Andrew Considine at the back.

“The manager decided to continue with us for the Inverness Caley game.

“I thought we did reasonably well although we could have done a bit better for the first goal.

“If we get another opportunity against Motherwell then we have to make the most of it but the manager might opt to make changes.â€

Severin is still smarting even now after Aberdeen’s opening performance fell flat.

Caley’s first victory over the Dons at the 18th attempt stunned those in the red corner but Seve is determined to bounce back off the ropes against the Steelmen.

He said: “Even now we’re all still disappointed at losing the opening game to Inverness Caley.

“We started the match very well before we conceded possession too cheaply and they punished us when they scored their first goal.

“It was difficult to create chances against them as they defended strongly. But we should have the players capable of rising to that challenge.

“Our last 12 or 13 matches against Inverness were never the prettiest of games. They were happy to sit in and hit us on the break and their tactics worked well.

“At the second goal we were caught out up the park. It’s going to be difficult against Motherwell as they lost their opening match against Hearts.

“You don’t want to end up with no points on the board after the first two matches of the season.

“We’re going to have work really hard at Fir Park and pick ourselves up for the match. They showed they are a quality team by qualifying for Europe so we know what to expect.â€

They were a disgrace at the back, all of them, possibly excepting Mulgrew.

Having seen the first goal on the telly it makes it even worse, useless doesn't even cover it.

Slowest cross in the history of world football. The fact it bobbled in front of three of the useless cunts as well as the keeper would make it laughable it wasn't my team attempting to defend.

They were a disgrace at the back, all of them, possibly excepting Mulgrew.

Having seen the first goal on the telly it makes it even worse, useless doesn't even cover it.

Aye it was awful. There were 3 of them I think that watched it sail by. Foster tried to cut it out but was hopelessly slow. Terrible defending.

Slowest cross in the history of world football. The fact it bobbled in front of three of the useless cunts as well as the keeper would make it laughable it wasn't my team attempting to defend.

I even laughed out loud as Tokeley crossed it.  Shocking defending.