Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Murray to cull fringe Rangers players ... should we be snooping?

I see David Murray has said he must axe up to six players from Rangers' 26-man squad to cover the 12million cost of being knocked out of Europe. He says that a number of the fringe players especially will be cut, as the first team squad will not be under the same sort of strain due to the lack of fixtures.

So, who should we be sniffing at? Surely we could get a cut-price deal on the likes of Gow. Surely. Isn't Steven Naismith still on their books? I've admired his style of play for a long long time!

Guest swaddon

I see David Murray has said he must axe up to six players from Rangers' 26-man squad to cover the 12million cost of being knocked out of Europe. He says that a number of the fringe players especially will be cut, as the first team squad will not be under the same sort of strain due to the lack of fixtures.

So, who should we be sniffing at? Surely we could get a cut-price deal on the likes of Gow. Surely. Isn't Steven Naismith still on their books? I've admired his style of play for a long long time!

We don't want a team full of losers, so we should be looking elsewhere for new players.

With the possible exception of Gow, not one of that lot would even consider signing for us. Not that I'm hugely bothered. Apart from Naismith, Hemdani and Boyd, I don't think a single one of them would genuinely improve us as a team.

I would agree with that. Not bothered about really.

The list of names flying about includes Boyd, Cousin, Burke, Gow, Hemdani and maybe one more but those 5 for definite are on the list.

1. We couldn't afford any of them. The Huns are looking to make up a £12 million shortfall at least. On the basis of these 5 players plus one other, they would need an average saving (fee + wages) of over £2m for each one. We can barely afford to scrape togather £75k for Tommy Wright.

2. Not one of them would want to sign for us in a million years.

3. Only Boyd, Hemdani and Naismith would genuinely improve us as a team. Boyd has already had offers from the Championship, Hemdani refuses to play SPL matches for the Huns and Naismith has a long-term injury and is a dyed-in-the-wool Filth fan.

1. We couldn't afford any of them. The Huns are looking to make up a £12 million shortfall at least. On the basis of these 5 players plus one other, they would need an average saving (fee + wages) of over £2m for each one. We can barely afford to scrape togather £75k for Tommy Wright.

2. Not one of them would want to sign for us in a million years.

3. Only Boyd, Hemdani and Naismith would genuinely improve us as a team. Boyd has already had offers from the Championship, Hemdani refuses to play SPL matches for the Huns and Naismith has a long-term injury and is a dyed-in-the-wool Filth fan.

I think that they would all improve the team but its fantasy football even thinking we could sign them

I think that they would all improve the team but its fantasy football even thinking we could sign them

Burke is an even more injury-prone version of Chris Clark. All show and no product. Most of the Rangers fans loathe him for his consistently shite crossing and inability to beat defenders.

Dailly has always been versatile as opposed to talented. He's no better than any of our midfielders or central defenders.

Cousin and Darcheville have big egos but little in the way of effort or goal-scoring return. Given our inability to carve out decent chances for our strikers, they would struggle just as much as Miller, Mackie, Wright and Bebo will this season.

Gow hasn't played two games in a row for over a year, and has a reputation based entirely upon a fairly decent 6 months at Falkirk. If he's as good as we reckon, why did Smith so steadfastly refuse to rotate him in for one of Rangers exhausted attacking midfielders last season? Even the likes of John Fleck and Andrew Shinnie were given a chance ahead of Gow.

Whilst I agree that Hemdani, Boyd and Naismith are a cut above what we have already, not one of them would even countenance signing for us. They are all capable of netting contracts at far bigger clubs than AFC.

Gow hasn't played two games in a row for over a year, and has a reputation based entirely upon a fairly decent 6 months at Falkirk. If he's as good as we reckon, why did Smith so steadfastly refuse to rotate him in for one of Rangers exhausted attacking midfielders last season? Even the likes of John Fleck and Andrew Shinnie were given a chance ahead of Gow.

Agree completely Sweetchuck except on Gow. He seems a really good player who (according to a hun mate who doesn't mind getting called a hun, he was outstanding in his one game and expected big things from him) would improve us. He gave Mikey Hart a torrid time when we played him and that's a big compliment.

Smith never gave him a chance, he also bought him. The same Smith didn't give Anderson a gig at Scotland.

Agree completely Sweetchuck except on Gow. He seems a really good player who (according to a hun mate who doesn't mind getting called a hun, he was outstanding in his one game and expected big things from him) would improve us. He gave Mikey Hart a torrid time when we played him and that's a big compliment.

Smith never gave him a chance, he also bought him. The same Smith didn't give Anderson a gig at Scotland.

But his one game came against East Fife. It'd be hard for any moderately-talented player not to look outstanding against a team from Scotland's lowest national league. I'm really not sure how much you can read into that one performance.

His reputation is based entirely upon a season with Falkirk, of which his game against us at Pittodrie was probably the high-point. I'm not saying that he isn't good enough, merely that I'm not entirely convinced, and clearly neither is Walter Smith, even when the situation is so desperate that he has to bring in youth-team players.

In any case, his value is almost certainly higher than any fee we would be prepared to pay. Was he not valued at about £500k in the Lafferty deal? I'm pretty sure Norwich had a £400k bid in for him recently as well. I could be wrong on the figures, but even £300k will be above what we are prepared to pay.

Plus, there will almost undoubtedly be other clubs sniffing around him again, and I can't see Rangers being keen on helping us to strengthen our team, given that 2nd place in the SPL may well be up for grabs this year.

But his one game came against East Fife. It'd be hard for any moderately-talented player not to look outstanding against a team from Scotland's lowest national league. I'm really not sure how much you can read into that one performance.

His reputation is based entirely upon a season with Falkirk, of which his game against us at Pittodrie was probably the high-point. I'm not saying that he isn't good enough, merely that I'm not entirely convinced, and clearly neither is Walter Smith, even when the situation is so desperate that he has to bring in youth-team players.

In any case, his value is almost certainly higher than any fee we would be prepared to pay. Was he not valued at about £500k in the Lafferty deal? I'm pretty sure Norwich had a £400k bid in for him recently as well. I could be wrong on the figures, but even £300k will be above what we are prepared to pay.

Plus, there will almost undoubtedly be other clubs sniffing around him again, and I can't see Rangers being keen on helping us to strengthen our team, given that 2nd place in the SPL may well be up for grabs this year.

I had already taken the point that we cannot afford any of these cunts, I was just saying I think he would improve us.

I'm not sure that Murray's too concerned about selling to net the 12million. I think he's more concerned about the fact that the club has built up a big squad so that they would not be exhausted due to too many games in all the different competitions. I know Murray is hoping to bring the player-pool down from 26 to 20. Maybe just cutting someone like Gow off the wagebill will effectively save him about a million.