Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Let me at Caley, pleads Diamond

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/773222

ZANDER Diamond today declared himself fit and ready to return to active duty with the Dons.

Diamond, who had been sidelined by a foot injury, strolled through his comeback match as Aberdeen beat Highland League side Inverurie Locos 2-0 in a friendly at Harlaw Park.

There was a fresh scare when the 23-year-old appeared to suffer another knock during the first half that left him limping badly.

But Diamond insists he is ready to take his place in the Dons side to face Inverness Caley Thistle at Pittodrie on Saturday in their SPL opener.

Diamond said: “I’m fit, feel great and I’m desperate to play against Inverness.

“There was a bit of a panic on the bench when I got a knock, but I knew it was nothing serious and just ran it off.

“I have no injuries whatsoever, which isn’t something I’ve been able to say too often in recent times.â€

Mark Kerr, Derek Young and Stuart Duff also came through the game at Inverurie unscathed to leave the Dons with a full squad to pick from.

Diamond, who was replaced after an hour, hopes he did enough to convince manager Jimmy Calderwood to include him against Inverness.

He even gave up his day off today to come into Pittodrie to do extra training to top up his fitness.

Diamond said: “I knew the Inverurie game was my last chance to prove my fitness ahead of the start of the season.

“I’m delighted with the way things went.

“Now I have to hope I did enough to get back into the gaffer’s plans.

“I decided to train today instead of resting like most of the other lads because I want to get my fitness levels up.

“We also have training on Thursday and Friday, so I’m confident I will be up to speed by the weekend.â€

The Dons fielded a mixture of experienced and youth players at Inverurie but Diamond believes it was the perfect way to conclude their build-up to the new campaign.

“The Peterhead game apart, things have gone well,†he said.

“There is a good spirit in the camp.

“The new lads have settled in very quickly and we are now eager to get going.â€

Diamond’s target now is to help the Dons get back into Europe.

“I won’t be happy unless we finish at least third in the SPL,†he said.

“That would guarantee a return to Europe, which is what I want the most.

“It’s going to be agony looking on while other clubs are playing in the UEFA Cup this year.

“I don’t want to be going through that again.â€

I decided to train today instead of resting like most of the other lads because I want to get my fitness levels up

I am quote impressed with him through reading the article and especially that segment. Certainly seems more mature.

“I won’t be happy unless we finish at least third in the SPL,†he said.

At least that'll keep the "we should be aiming to win the league" crowd ;)

Guest swaddon

I am quote impressed with him through reading the article and especially that segment. Certainly seems more mature.

At least that'll keep the "we should be aiming to win the league" crowd ;)

He said "at least third", meaning he wants to finish third or higher.