Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Ian Black, former goalie

...Hello, I am a Fulham supporter and I'm writing an article for our fanzine TOOFIF (There's Only One 'F' In Fulham) about a former goalie and Scottish International (albeit one game) of yours Ian (Henderson) Black who joined before the second world war and left soon after being demobbed in 1947.

Can anybody tell me how long he was on the books, dates when he joined and left, how many appearances he made for you - and has anybody any memories of the man. Would he have played whilst you were still playing in the black and gold vertical strip?

I would be grateful for any information - Thank you, and good luck for the new season

Dont know if there will be anything on him in the first 100 years of the dons book by Jack Webster? Anyone ken?

Probably best if you speak to the official club historian (is it Kevin Stirling?) and anyone got his email address. I remember there was a quiz or something on redweb a while ago with it.

Christ almighty even before my time ;)

Chances are if he joined before 2nd world war, then he might of been in the team at the time we played in black and gold as it was 1939 that the official club colours changed to red and white

...Hello, I am a Fulham supporter and I'm writing an article for our fanzine TOOFIF (There's Only One 'F' In Fulham) about a former goalie and Scottish International (albeit one game) of yours Ian (Henderson) Black who joined before the second world war and left soon after being demobbed in 1947.

Can anybody tell me how long he was on the books, dates when he joined and left, how many appearances he made for you - and has anybody any memories of the man. Would he have played whilst you were still playing in the black and gold vertical strip?

I would be grateful for any information - Thank you, and good luck for the new season

This is the only info from Jack Webster's book, 'The First 100 Years of The Dons'

"He [manager David Halliday] signed up others.  The all powerful St Clement's junior team of the 1940's would surely have something to offer the Dons and Halliday signed three of them: goalkeeper Ian Black, left-half Johnny Cruickshank and inside-forward Martin Buchan.  Ian Black went on to become Scotland's goalie but by then he had been called up for military service, guested with Southampton and decided to stay at The Dell."

For your information, Aberdeen wore white in 1903 (the year we were formed), changed to Black & Gold in 1904 and red tops were first worn on 18th March 1939.  The passage with regard to Ian Black seems to suggest that he signed sometime in the early 1940's, and I don't think he was there for too long.

Also, the Martin Buchan mentioned in this passage isn't the one that most would think, the former Aberdeen and Manchester United player, however it is his father.

...thanks for the quick responses, I have left a message with Kevin Stirling. I had an interview with Ian in March at his bowls club in Tolworth, just before his 84th birthday and he is still an active man who looks 20 years younger than his actual age, a lovely person (who insisted on paying for lunch as I was his guest!) and a modest man who told me of his younger days playing football by the tram terminus and on the beach. He mentioned playing for the St Clements' side, winning six trophies with them, his performances led to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and even the once mighty Wolverhampton Wanderers checking him out.

You mentioned the only goal scored in open play by a Fulham goalkeeper, for anyone interested Ian was injured early in the game at Leicester City after being kicked in the left arm near his shoulder, he was in a lot of pain but this was in the days before substitutes, so outfielder Bobby Brennan took over the custodial duties and Ian, being tall, was put up front as a centre forward in the second half. Already losing 3-0 Ian "made a nuisance of himself" and on receiving a floating cross from Arthur Stevens headed it into the net to score our consolation goal.

Let me know if you would like a copy of the article when it is published...