Striker Darren wants new deal

This will please a few of you I'm sure...

Mack me an offer to stay at Pittodrie

Striker Darren wants new deal

By Charlie Allan with the Dons in Holland  :wave:

Published: 30/07/2008

DARREN Mackie today became the second Dons star to confirm he would be happy to sign a long-term contract with the club.

Midfielder Jamie Smith told the Evening Express on Monday that he is eager to get his future sorted out.

Now striker Mackie has talked of his desire to convince the Dons he is worth a extension to his current contract, which runs out next summer.

“I grew up supporting Aberdeen, so playing for he club is a dream,†he said.

“I hope that can continue for some time.

“Next season will be my 10th with the Dons and it’s fantastic that I’ve managed to be here for so long.

“But I’ve got to prove I’m worth another deal, I know I have no divine right to expect one.â€

The departures of Michael Hart and Chris Clark last season meant most of the players who came through the youth ranks alongside Darren have now gone.

But he claims he has never even considered what life would be like away from Pittodrie.

“There’s only Derek Young left from my youth days – and even he was away with other clubs for a spell,†said Darren.

“The other lads fancied a change and moved south to try something different.

“I’ve always been content with the thrill I get out of playing for Aberdeen.

“We will just to have wait and see if the club is going to let me continue to do that.

“My more immediate target is to stay fit and score more goals than I did last season.

“It annoyed me that I only got four, and if I stay fit I will be hoping to score a lot more.â€

Darren has still to score a pre-season goal but hopes to put that right in tonight’s clash with Vitesse Arnhem.

Darren said: “I’m desperate to get back in among the goals before we get back to Scotland.

“Chris Maguire showed how eager he is to be more involved with his hat-trick against DZC.

“That extra competition is good for the team because it means the rest of the strikers know they have to deliver goals as well or they won’t get a game.

“I’m sure the goals will start to come for me, but I know just how hungry Chris will be to keep me out when the competitive starts.

“I also broke into the first team squad at a very young age as well and once you get a taste of first team football you want more.

“Chris has all the attributes needed to be a great striker, but knows the others at the club aren’t just going to step aside and make it easy for him.â€

Guest swaddon
“I grew up supporting Aberdeen, so playing for he club is a dream,†he said.

That doesn't make any sense either. Does Charlie Allan not read his articles before he publishes them? Or can he just not read?