Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Foster for Scotland

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/759874

You’re having a laugh, Stewart!

By Charlie Allan

Published: 29/07/2008

DONS defender Richard Foster says the only way he will get a game for Scotland is if Stewart McKimmie gets the national manager’s job.

Foster is the former Dons and Scotland hero tipped him to play a starring role for Scotland this year in his Evening Express column,

But the 22-year-old believes there is little chance of national boss George Burley picking him ahead of Spurs’ £9 million man Alan Hutton.

“Hopefully, McKimmie will get the Scotland job soon so that I can just slot right in!†he said.

“It was nice of him to say I had a chance but I’m not going to put pressure on myself by setting my sights on getting involved with Scotland next season.

“I will have enough to do getting myself established as the first choice right-back at Aberdeen. I want to play for my country, just like any other player.

“To do that I would have to at least match the high standards Hutton has set.

“It could take three months or three years. No one can be certain about these type of things.

“It may even mean I have to wait until I’m into my late 20s, when most players are approaching their peak, but I would be happy with that because it would be a dream come true.

“I’m a realist though, and know focusing on proving I’m good enough to play every week for Aberdeen has to be the priority.â€

Foster has taken encouragement from manager Jimmy Calderwood’s interview in the Evening Express, in which he challenged Foster to prove he is good enough to take over from the departed Alan Maybury in the right-back position.

Foster said: “I’m delighted the manager thinks I can do a job there. I will give it my best shot.

“The basic elements of the full-back positions are the same but the good thing now is I will be playing on my more natural right side.â€

:rofl2:

FFS just when you think Charlie Allan can't sink any lower

Aye - McKimmie's column yesterday (which we all know Charlie writes) had "McKimmie saying" that Foster is good enough to break into Scotland side and displace Alan Hutton, leading to Charlie's buig story when he goes up to Foster and asks him about it and Ricky tells him to wise up!!

Guest swaddon
Foster is the former Dons and Scotland hero tipped him to play a starring role for Scotland this year in his Evening Express column

That doesn't make any sense.

DONS defender Richard Foster says the only way he will get a game for Scotland is if Stewart McKimmie gets the national manager’s job.

Foster is the former Dons and Scotland hero tipped him to play a starring role for Scotland this year in his Evening Express column,

But the 22-year-old believes there is little chance of national boss George Burley picking him ahead of Spurs’ £9 million man Alan Hutton.

“Hopefully, McKimmie will get the Scotland job soon so that I can just slot right in!†he said.

“It was nice of him to say I had a chance but I’m not going to put pressure on myself by setting my sights on getting involved with Scotland next season.

“I will have enough to do getting myself established as the first choice right-back at Aberdeen. I want to play for my country, just like any other player.

“To do that I would have to at least match the high standards Hutton has set.

“It could take three months or three years. No one can be certain about these type of things.

“It may even mean I have to wait until hell freezes over but I would be happy with that because it would be a dream come true.

“I’m a realist though, and know focusing on proving I’m good enough to play every week for Aberdeen has to be the priority.â€

Foster has taken encouragement from manager Jimmy Calderwood’s interview in the Evening Express, in which he challenged Foster to prove he is good enough to take over from the departed Alan Maybury in the right-back position.

Foster said: “I’m delighted the manager thinks I can do a job there. I will give it my best shot.

“The basic elements of the full-back positions are the same but the good thing now is I will be playing on my more natural right side

....Which is why Aberdeen continue down the middle of the road. Not setting his sights that high? Why the fuck not????

He fucking SHOULD be setting his sights that high. So should the rest of them. Bet Mackie doesn't stay behind practicing free kicks and ball control, but he fucking should be looking to improve at his fucking job 'cos he ain't that good either.

Annual job appraisal - Well boss, I'm not really looking to improve at my job, not really looking to progress.

If any of us in the real world came out with that the annual Christmas layoffs would catch up with us.

For fucks sake.

....Which is why Aberdeen continue down the middle of the road. Not setting his sights that high? Why the fuck not????

He fucking SHOULD be setting his sights that high. So should the rest of them. Bet Mackie doesn't stay behind practicing free kicks and ball control, but he fucking should be looking to improve at his fucking job 'cos he ain't that good either.

Annual job appraisal - Well boss, I'm not really looking to improve at my job, not really looking to progress.

If any of us in the real world came out with that the annual Christmas layoffs would catch up with us.

For fucks sake.

Alternatively, he could live in the real world, and know himself that he has neither the talent nor the right club to play for Scotland.

My point was that we all live in the real world and footballers shouldn't be saying to the people who are paying their wages 'nah fuck it I'm not looking to progress, playing for Scotland? nah, not in my scope'. I actually think he's quite a good player but it does show a lack of ambition.

AFC might not be a magnet for world talent but surely anyone getting a job playing for us should at least harbour some dreams of making it to a better level and want to progress???

That kind of comment from a player does my head in. In context though it was a non story with a bland comment so fuck it, come on the new season.  Fingers and toes crossed.

Aye, but there's progress that is achievable. For Foster, he should be looking to nail down one position in the AFC team as his own. I'd also love to see him cut out the aimless passes towards the 18 yard line from full back, they do my fucking nut in.

On a practical level, there are also at least half a dozen players that would play at RB before him (rightly or wrongly). Off the top of my head, Hutton, Whittaker, Dailly, Broadfoot, Wilson, Neilson and Hart spring to mind.