Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Seve is happy to take step back

Seve is happy to take step back

Captain’s defensive role

By Charlie Allan with the Dons in Holland

Published: 26/07/2008

SKIPPER Scott Severin is happy to take a step backwards if it helps the Dons keep the back door closed next season.

Severin has been told by manager Jimmy Calderwood that he will be starting the new season in the heart of the Dons defence in an effort to ensure they don’t concede as many goals as last season.

Severin prefers to play in midfield, but has agreed to accept his new role as the main defensive partner for Zander Diamond or Andrew Considine.

“I will always do what is best for the team,†said Severin.

“The manager and I have talked it through and agreed it might be the best thing to do.

“He said there will still be opportunities for me to play in midfield. That will depend on who we are playing and the formation we go with.

“But I will be playing at the back a lot more and I will live with that because I’m just happy to get a game.â€

Calderwood believes Severin will thrive in his new role when the SPL campaign kicks off a fortnight today.

Calderwood said: “I had to drop Seve at certain stages of last season and that shouldn’t be happening to a player of his quality.

“But he was brilliant towards the end of the campaign when he played at the back a few times.

“At this moment in time it’s not certain he will get the chance to play in midfield again, so it’s encouraging to see him continuing to do well in the centre of the defence.

“He has been our best player of the pre-season, by a country mile.â€

The Dons began their programme of five games in Holland with a 5-0 thrashing of lower league side DZC68.

Calderwood criticised the standard of their second-half performance and warned they will have to improve for tomorrow’s clash with full-timers FC Zwolle at Nieuwleusen.

“Zwolle play in the second grade in Holland, which is a very high standard,†said Calderwood.

“We will have to show a massive improvement in the performance otherwise we will get our backsides kicked.â€

Calderwood plans to field as strong a side as possible, which means trialist defender Lescinel Jean-Francois will again have to be content with a place on the bench.

The Haiti international missed the victory over DZC because of a groin strain.

Calderwood said: “He won’t start because we are now just a couple of weeks away from the big kick-off and I want to get the defence used to playing together.

“I will bring him on if I get the chance, but he has been impressive so far in training.â€

To be fair though, I am much more encouraged with a Severin and Diamond partnership, with Foster on the right and Mulgrew on the left than something that includes: Mair, Considine or Duff (though I believe Duff is a lot better than I originally thought, and should be used in midfield).

To be fair though, I am much more encouraged with a Severin and Diamond partnership, with Foster on the right and Mulgrew on the left than something that includes: Mair, Considine or Duff (though I believe Duff is a lot better than I originally thought, and should be used in midfield).

Definitely!