Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scott Calderwood was offered a contract with us

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/750857

Scott is after dad Jimmy’s Dons job!

Calderwoods get set for Dutch clash

By Charlie Allan

Published: 23/07/2008

CALD WAR: Jimmy and Scott Calderwood will go head-to-head tomorrow night.

More Pictures

THE Calderwoods will be a family at war when the Dons take on DZC 68 in Holland tomorrow.

The friendly sees Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood go head-to-head with his son Scott, who was recently appointed as the coach of the lower league Dutch side.

And Scott, 30, admitted he would love to beat the Dons – to prove he might be good enough to take his dad’s job someday!

“I hate having to admit my father was the better player, so I want to make up for that by eventually proving I’m the better manager,†said Scott, who joined DZC after winning last season’s league championship with Rietvogels, who the Dons play next week on their Dutch tour.

“It’s early days for me as a coach, but you have to set your sights as high as possible.â€

Scott was born in Birmingham, while his father was a player at St Andrews, but stayed in Holland when Jimmy returned to Scotland in 1999 to take over as manager of Dunfermline.

Scott also played for Dutch sides Willem II and SV Babberich, and is confident he will eventually make his mark as a coach.

He said: “I’m a lot younger than my father was when he started out, so I’m hoping that will increase my chances of doing better than he has.

“It would be great if I could follow him all the way and even become the manager of Aberdeen some day.

“I would certainly jump at the chance to work alongside him and Jimmy Nicholl, because I know I would learn a lot.

“If my team do well against the Dons you never know what might happen.â€

Scott turned down the chance to join the Dons full-time as a player in 2005, which will add extra spice to tomorrow’s clash.

“I spoke to Willie Miller, but we couldn’t agree on the length of contract,†he said.

“Aberdeen were only able to offer a year, but I wanted a bit more security if I was to give up the good job I have in Holland as a salesman.

“You have to put your family first in those sort of situations.

“I was only 27, and my wife had just given birth, so I decided to stay in Holland.

“I knew it was unlikely I would get an offer as good as that again as a player, so I set my sights on gaining my coaching qualifications, with the aim to get back into the game full-time that way.

“A couple of professional clubs in Holland have already spoken to me about joining them, but I would rather wait until I have gained a bit more experience.â€

Dons boss Jimmy admitted the chance to pit his wits against his boy is going to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of their tour.

“I’m really looking forward to it,†he said.

“I’m sure he would love to put one over on his old man.

“Scott even got his team to come back to training early so that they would be well prepared for our visit.

“His side are only two divisions under the level of the team we face on the Sunday, so they will be no pushovers. Like most of the lower league sides in Holland, they will be fit and well organised.

“It should be an interesting evening.â€

Jimmy is also looking forward to their clash with amateurs Rietvogels a week on Thursday.

“They are a the club who gave me my first chance as a coach,†he said.

“It’s likely to be the easiest of our games, but it will be a special night for me to meet up with a lot of old friends.â€

Aberdeen’s other three opponents on their Dutch tour – FC Zwolle, Vitesse Arnhem and Go Ahead Eagles – will provide bigger tests.

Jimmy said: “We deliberately chose games that would provide different challenges for our players.

“I’m happy with the programme of games, it’s the ideal way for us to prepare for the new season.â€

Calderwood is also pleased to be returning to Holland after taking the Dons to South Africa and Egypt for their previous two pre-season tours.

“This is my eighth pre-season visit to Holland, which underlines how highly I rate the place,†he said.

“I admitted I got it wrong by taking the lads to Egypt. The weather was a bit too hot at times and the quality of the training facilities was poor.

“It will be different in Holland.â€

so the rumours were true then! I always thought it was just hearsay.

Guest swaddon

What a lucky escape, then. If he'd signed for us and turned out to be pish, then JC would have found it hard to drop him.

Jimmy is also looking forward to their clash with amateurs Rietvogels a week on Thursday.

“They are a the club who gave me my first chance as a coach,†he said.

“It’s likely to be the easiest of our games, but it will be a special night for me to meet up with a lot of old friends.â€

0-4 defeat, then.

Fergie did it, didn't he?

Fergie's son wasn't a 27 year old salesman who had never played professional football in his life. Calderwood has no shame.

Even this pre season trip looks a bit of a sham. He's got us lined up against his son's team, and a team he used to manage that he admits won't give us a challenge but it'll enable him to meet up with his mates. How is that better preparation than entering the InterToto Cup and give us a chance of playing in the UEFA Cup?

Calderwood played for us the 2nd year in Holland against couple of diddy teams and played quite well but was a long long way off SPL standard.  To find out we tried to sign him is staggering!!

I remember those games, we were fucked by injuries then too. that was the year we were supposed to sign Polish Piotr was it not?

I remember those games, we were fucked by injuries then too. that was the year we were supposed to sign Polish Piotr was it not?

Could have been season after that Piotr was on the radar.  He played the year we orangised 6 games in 8 or 9 days and ended up with everyone injured.

Even this pre season trip looks a bit of a sham. He's got us lined up against his son's team, and a team he used to manage that he admits won't give us a challenge but it'll enable him to meet up with his mates. How is that better preparation than entering the InterToto Cup and give us a chance of playing in the UEFA Cup?

Is it ever any different?

Are you talking about mizer's racist gollywog avatar?

When did Gollywogs become racist all of a sudden then?

I bought my loon a Gollywog when he was born, though I had to order it online because no-one in Detroit sells them.  I also bought him a cuddly Jesus. The wife winna let him bring them with him when we go out though.

Says they're inappropriate. 

Jesus is inappropriate?

It's political correctness gone mad.

I'm an atheist, but I've no problem with my loon having the Lord and Savior of 1.5 Billion Christians in his Crib.

Was originally looking for a stuffed allah, but would you believe there isnae one?  The closest you can get is an "Allah is Great" Teddy Bear in a T-Shirt.

Might see if I can get one made.  Actually, if I dye his stuffed Jesus' hair and beard black and stick a turban on him we might just pull that one off.

I can see how stuff like 'Piss christ' and a Pig called Mohammed is offensive.  I can see how a ceramic ornament of Mohammed fisting the Virgin Mary would be offensive.... but I cannae understand how things like Gollywogs and stuffed messiahs are offensive.

Well, okay, maybe Gollywogs are a wee bit offensive.

Apparently this is racist.

Do ye know what Allah looks like kelt?

No, but then technically we don't know what Jesus or God or the Virgin Mary looked like (understandable given their entirely fictitious nature) but it didn't stop Michelangelo painting a great fuck-off picture of god in the Sistine Chapel. And the Ornamental Mary industry here in the States has never been so busy.

What you do in the case of your god, whatever god you decide to go with is this...

1. You make him look EXACTLY like you want him to look

2. You give him all the prejudices you already have

So, for example, if you're a God Fearing KKK member, you don't pretend your god looks like a Gollywog. Any self-respecting white supremacist KNOWS Jesus was a blonde, blue-eyed white dude who looked like a Californian surfer.  Beach Jesus.  Despite everyone else in the middle east being Calderwood coloured, Jesus was obviously a white European looking Messiah.

If you hate homos, so does your god.

If you think Transvestites need killing, then that's what your god thinks.

It's a handy dandy way of confirming your prejudices. 

You attribute all your hatreds and prejudices to your god, then you say, "Hey, I HAVE to believe this.. because GOD tells me it's so.

Circular logic is awesome.

Given the prejudice circulating in the western world at the moment, a line of Allah dolls wearing Rangers tops would be most interesting. It would allow people to vent their frustrations at the Islamic faith, whilst simultaneously putting across the message that Rangers are evil.

........ :hammer: